Traditionally the Mayas had their own gods.
However, when the Itzáe invaded Chichén-Itzá they introduced another god from the Toltecs.
The Toltecs called him Quetzalcoatl, the plumed serpent.
Kukulcán was the name given to this god by the Mayas.
This is the Temple of Kukulkan, the Feathered Serpent.
The Maya name "Chich'en Itza" means "At the mouth of the well of the Itza."
This derives from chi', meaning "mouth" or "edge", and ch'e'en, meaning "well."
Itzá is the name of an ethnic-lineage group that gained political and economic dominance of the northern peninsula.
The name is believed to derive from the Maya itz, meaning "magic," and (h)á, meaning "water."
Itzá in Spanish is often translated as "Brujas del Agua (Witches of Water)" but a more precise translation would be Magicians of Water.
- Kukulcán's pyramid is essentially a nine-step structure culminating in a flat platform that supports a two-story temple. The height to the top platform is 24 m, the temple adding another 6 m.
- El Castillo's design is thought to relate to the Mayan calendar.
Each of the four faces incorporates a broad, steep staircase consisting of 91 steps that ascends to the top platform.
Counting the top platform as an additional step gives a total of 365 steps.
- 1step for each day of the year.
The staircases rise at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal, while the average inclination of the stepped pyramid itself is 53.3 degrees.
The faces of the individual steps are sloped at a greater angle, approximately 73 degrees.
- The nine main platforms of the pyramid are thought to represent the 18 months of the haab, and the 52 panels represent the number of years it takes for a calendar round date to recur.
- Kukulcán's pyramid is notable for the fact that at the spring and fall equinoxes (March 21 and September 22) the sun projects an undulating pattern of light on the northern stairway for a few hours in the late afternoon—a pattern caused by the angle of the sun and the edge of the nine steps that define the pyramid's construction.
These triangles of light link up with the massive stone carvings of snake heads at the base of the stairs, suggesting a massive serpent snaking down the structure.
- Additionally, when one looks at the western face during the winter solstice, the sun appears to climb up the edge of the staircase until it rests momentarily directly above the temple before beginning its descent down the other side.
The Mayas believed that the universe had been, and would continue to be, created and destroyed multiple times, and that each such cycle lasted somewhat longer than 5000 years. By their estimate, the current universe would end in the equivalent of the year AD 2011.
Above the earth was a heaven with 13 levels.
Below the earth was an underworld with 9 levels.
The entire universe was linked by a greenceiba tree that stood at the center of the world, its branches extending into the heavens and its roots into the underworld.
Details of the actual pattern of Creation described by the Mayan Calendar looks like a pyramid.
The bottom level or cycle in the pyramid represents the longest period of time, i.e., 16.4 billion years ago and is called the Cellular level of Creation
First live cells.
The Big Bang until Existence of Life
Cellular cycle - developed the consciousness of Action/Reaction.
The second level or cycle from the bottom of the pyramid is 20 times shorter, i.e., 840 million years ago and is called the Mammalian level of Creation
First live births.
Mammalian cycle - developed the consciousness of Stimulus/Response.
First Animals to First Primates.
Continuing up the pyramid in this fashion with each level becoming 20 times shorter than the latter,
the third level ,i.e., 41 million years ago is the Family level (family relationships).
First Primates to First Humans.
Familial cycle - developed the consciousness of Stimulus/Individual Response.
The fourth level, i.e., 2 million years ago, is the Tribal level (Homo Sapiens/tools).
First Humans to First Form of Language.
Tribal cycle - developed the consciousness of Similarities/Differences.
The fifth level, i.e., 102,000 years ago is the Cultural level (agriculture/religion).
First Form of Language to 3115 B.C Civilization.
Cultural cycle - developed the consciousness of Reasons.
The sixth level, i.e., 5,116 years ago is the National level (sovereign nations/laws).
3115 B.C Civilization to 1754.
National cycle - developed the consciousness of Law.
The seventh level is the planetary level (internet/global economy).
1755 Industry to 1999.
Planetary cycle - beginning in the year 1755 A.D., developed the consciousness of Power.
The eighth level is the Galactic level (ethical considerations).
1999 to 2011.
Galactic cycle - beginning January 5, 1999, developing the consciousness of Ethics.
the ninth level is the Universal level (conscious co-creation)
Universal cycle - beginning February 10, 2011 , WE HAVE the unlimited ability of Conscious Co-Creation.