Forums

Chessbazaar legitimacy

Sort:
ybsom

Thanks, especially to MCH818 for your advice.  I think I will go with CB, as I am in the UK and buying from SC will be more expensive.   Thanks for pointing out the bishop and queen, also the thickness of the rooks, I don't think I would have noticed this.  Perhaps I prefer the 1900 Marshall set, R0391, as the rooks, queens and bishops are a little more slender.  Ideally I would like a bigger version of my old set - I wanted to attach a photo here but couldn't work out how to do that  

MCH818
ybsom wrote:

Thanks, especially to MCH818 for your advice.  I think I will go with CB, as I am in the UK and buying from SC will be more expensive.   Thanks for pointing out the bishop and queen, also the thickness of the rooks, I don't think I would have noticed this.  Perhaps I prefer the 1900 Marshall set, R0391, as the rooks, queens and bishops are a little more slender.  Ideally I would like a bigger version of my old set - I wanted to attach a photo here but couldn't work out how to do that  

You're welcome! I did not realize the thickness of the knight before as well. @Audioq mentioned it in another thread. I should mention the person who commented about the bishop and queen was comparing the CB 3.75" version to the 4.4" version. The 4.4 is a closer match to the original set. Anyhow, I looked at the 1900 Marshall set and the pieces are more slender that's for sure. I don't know how it compares to the original set, but it does look good.

ybsom

As a new member of this site, I cannot yet post pictures, but I will when I can.  I believe my old set with 3.15" kings, is by Ayres.  Interestingly CB list an Ayres reproduction set with 4.3" Kings, which is very close in design to my old set - and their Marshall set (3.75") is pretty much the same design as their bigger Ayres set - although the knights are slightly different.  The Marshall set is in antiqued boxwood - I hope I like this and it isn't too artificially aged.  Would be interested to hear if anyone has a set by CB that is antiqued - also if the lacquer finish they offer is worth having.   

Drawgood
I have ordered 4 sets from them. The models of sets I picked were of very good quality.

I want to add that it’s not clear what you mean by “authentic”. How can chess pieces be authentic or non authentic?
ybsom

I would very much like to find a 3.75" set as close as possible to this one:am thinking the Marshall set from CB is quite close - although the knights are different.  My rooks have only 4 crenellations.

MCH818

That's an interesting Marshall set. I have not seen one like that.

ybsom

I didn't mean that it is a Marshall set - just that the Chess Bazaar Marshall is the nearest I have found.  I don't know who made it, as it is old and unmarked.

MCH818
ybsom wrote:

I didn't mean that it is a Marshall set - just that the Chess Bazaar Marshall is the nearest I have found.  I don't know who made it, as it is old and unmarked.

Oh ok. I misunderstood. I like the set. The knights remind me of the Lardy knights.