Forums

1920s Russian Poni Design

Sort:
chesslover0003

I'm trying to find more information about this minimalist design.  I believe it might be designed by Alexey Poni (or would that be Ponikarovsky) about 1920s.  I cant find any original photos or articles about the design.

Any thoughts?

DesperateKingWalk

Stupid...

No wounder why you can not find any info on the design.

After over 100 years...cry

goodspellr

This set at Chesshouse looks like the same set. However, their description isn't very good. They just refer to the design as "modern".

chesslover0003

@goodspellr thank you. I can find many people selling and making them. I can't find any information about the original design. I'm not certain if it's 1920's or Russian or even designed by someone named Poni. I'm surprised I can't find anything for someone that appears to be popular.

Yenster1

@chesslover0003 Those sets seem to be 'modern' or 'contemporary' interpretations with maybe a Russian influence. The pieces may be more decorative than functional, as I sense the pawns and bishops would be difficult to handle. It definitely wouldn't go well with a burger and fries at a pub. However, this similar set below may satisfy both art and function. It's from a vendor called Taj Chess. I've not bought anything from them so I can't vouch for them, but just would prefer the tops of those pawns and bishops for better handling.

chesslover0003

I'm not looking for the set... I'm looking for more about the origin of the design.

David

Some of the places selling them have a bit more about their history, like https://www.printables.com/model/438152-soviet-era-russian-poni-minimalist-chess-set

That author, Jeff Burton, has some pretty interesting comments about his own research - I gather you’re looking for more info than what that has?

Edit: it occurs to me that you might be Jeff Burton lol - he mentions there that he hasn’t been able to find a photo of the set

chesslover0003
David wrote:

That author, Jeff Burton, has some pretty interesting comments about his own research - I gather you’re looking for more info than what that has?

Edit: it occurs to me that you might be Jeff Burton lol - he mentions there that he hasn’t been able to find a photo of the set

I'm not Jeff. This is the site where I got the name. I've seen the set before but haven't given it much thought before.

I've reached out to cgrau as well. If anyone knows anything about this design he will.

Powderdigit
I wouldn’t be surprised if they are a variant of a wartime set - where the pieces are simpler and more robust for playing in some pretty inhospitable locations.