Forums

Books you've read at least twice

Sort:
AndyClifton
electricpawn wrote:
I read Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained and most of Milton's sonnets. I only read them once, but I have re-read parts of them. Milton's accomplishments as a poet are so great that they're hard for me to describe.

He thinks too much (and I am not a hamburger head!).

"I waked, she fled, and day brought back my night" is a wonderful line...but "Methought I saw my late espoused saint..."?  Eek!

AndyClifton
nategauth wrote:
haha i'm not going to bother asking how you study a book without reading it. if people didn't read milton for pleasure then his name would have been forgotten a long time ago. you guys are ridiculous

Ooh, looks like we got us another grad kid on our hands...which probably explains why virtually every comment of his gives me at least a hint of migraine.

Metastable
AndyClifton wrote:
nategauth wrote:
i don't care for dubliners. the work of a young man who would someday be world champion

World Champion of what?...disappearing up his backside?

I think the Championship Belt has to be awarded to Hedigger for "Being and Time". I was really hoping it would live up to it's reputation but OMG what a stinker!

jel23

303 chess tactical puzzles-fred wilson

garry kasparov greatest games-eric schiller

bobby fischers greatest games-eric s.

understanding chess endgames-john nunn

grandmasters secrets-

erikido23

talent is overrated, forcing chess moves, starting strength, practical programming,tao of jeet kune do, secrets of pawn endings

TheGrobe
cowdungflung wrote:

I have read ' how to grow rich easy ' twice,it didn't work, twice

That's because by reading it a second time it ceased to be easy.

Bardu
bigpoison wrote:

Awright!  So, who the hell killed Fyodor Pavlovich?

I always assumed it was Smerdyakov, and never really found any reason to doubt it.

ilikeflags
AndyClifton wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

dubliners is a great intro for the less savy reader and deep enough for the know-it-all.  i love it.  i love teaching it and reading it.  its simplicity is nearly perfect.

It's boring, plodding and dull.

all qualities i value in my art

fburton
goldendog wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

The book no-one's read even once.  (Anyone who says they have is a bloody liar).

Add the suspect member above who said he's read Paradise Lost more than once.

I read the Reader's Digest serialization - very good!

bigpoison
Bardu wrote:
bigpoison wrote:

Awright!  So, who the hell killed Fyodor Pavlovich?

I always assumed it was Smerdyakov, and never really found any reason to doubt it.

Hey! that's only the second time anybody on this website has ever answered that question!  I'm very impressed.  Kupov, too, thought it was Smerdyakov.

I think you've both been duped by a long dead Ruskie.

bigpoison
nategauth wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

The book no-one's read even once.  (Anyone who says they have is a bloody liar).

not very many people have read and digested the entire book, but there are passages in it that almost every joyce fan has read, especially the anna livia plurabelle section. plenty of people devote lots of time to studying the book (which is worth doing), here's a good collaborative effort to annotate the entire text:http://www.finnegansweb.com/

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!  Thanks, buddy.

AndyClifton
Metastable wrote:
I think the Championship Belt has to be awarded to Hedigger for "Being and Time". I was really hoping it would live up to it's reputation but OMG what a stinker!

If only he had written a book called Being On Time, then maybe we all could've learned something.

AndyClifton
fburton wrote:
goldendog wrote:
TAdd the suspect member above who said he's read Paradise Lost more than once.

I read the Reader's Digest serialization - very good!

ah yes, me too...

there once was a serpent named Satan

who specialized in mankind-baitin'

till God grew awares

and threw him downstairs

where he's been since, waitin' and waitin'

AndyClifton
-kenpo- wrote:

oh wait. I also have to mention the following books.

culture and agriculture and miracle of life by wendell berry

If you didn't, I was soon going to do so for you. Smile

AndyClifton
-kenpo- wrote:

unbearable lightness of being

I always call that one The Unbearable Penis of Lightning.

AndyClifton
-kenpo- wrote:

speaking of satan. I was going through a Vasilly Ivanchuck game this morning and at a certain critical point the houdini evaluation read "6.66". 

I knew there was a reason those eyebrows of his grew together...

TheGrobe

Seems pointless when you leave to little to add.

bigpoison
AndyClifton wrote:
-kenpo- wrote:

oh wait. I also have to mention the following books.

culture and agriculture and miracle of life by wendell berry

If you didn't, I was soon going to do so for you. 

Dude reminds me of the main character in the Jimmy Harrison book entitled Farmer. 

Never could figure out that title.

AndyClifton

I haven't even read that one once.

AndyClifton

See, what's the point in attacking you if that's all the response you're gonna give?