Forums

Cavalier #1491 Tournament set ...

Sort:
Ronbo710

Hi All - In keeping with trying to find "other sets Fischer used" like a previous link suggested. I grabbed this plastic Cavalier #1491 set in Ivory (color) & Black,  The light pieces have toned somewhat which I don't mind at all. The material seems like it might be as brittle as the composite used to make the illusive Windsor Castle sets from back then.  Definitely not as solid as Drueke plastics. But the 4" Kings and AWESOME shaped knights really drew me to it. The #1491 is their only double weighted version and not too common in good shape. The Final pic is Soltis v. Fischer 1971 Manhattan Chess Club with the Cavalier set. Enjoy happy.png

flantastico

I had that set once. Quite liked it though I found I didn't think too well on it happy.png The knights were too distractingly beautiful. 

RussBell

I think this is the best plastic set ever made, in terms of overall quality, craftsmanship and aesthetics....the Cavalier #1491 by Pacific Game Co....obviously the knight is the signature piece...I still have this set, which I purchased in 1989...

Set came in several different boxes depending on year of purchase....I believe the blue cardboard box is for the original sets of the 1960's & '70's...
The brown sliding top bakelite box which came with my No.1491 set in 1989...

I would call it "The Queen of Plastic Chess Sets" - regal, elegant, to be appreciated as one would a lady....

Chessbazaar had reproduced the set in wood....not sure if it is still available...

https://www.chessbazaar.com/the-cavalier-chess-set-staunton-series-chess-pieces-in-ebony-box-wood-4-01-king.html

RussBell

earlier forum threads relating to the Cavalier set...

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/cavalier-chess-set-1498?page=1

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/plastic-chess-pieces-recommendations?page=2

RussBell
Haverumwilltravel wrote:

I bought a walnut and alabaster set awhile back. I noticed when shopping around for a set that the sets in the plastic slide top boxes seem to be chipped more than the cardboard boxed sets. I wonder if some sets were played more than others or they changed the plastic formula.

As I mentioned, I have the black and ivory #1491 Cavalier set which is made of a hard plastic. It could chip if subjected to abuse. My set (purchased in 1989) is still in perfect condition (I take good care of all my sets). In fact I don't believe the so-called "alabaster" sets are actually made of real alabaster (which is in fact very brittle, and does chip easily), but instead is a type of plastic formulated to emulate the look of alabaster. I believe that the "alabaster" sets are not made of the same plastic material as the #1491 set, and are more brittle than the #1491 sets, and thus more prone to chipping. This is only a guess on my part based on looking at photos of the "alabaster" sets. But since I have no actual experience with those sets, I cannot offer any proof of what they are actually made of. However, unless someone can correct me with facts, I feel pretty confident that my understanding is correct, or very close to being correct.

Edit - since first posting this comment I have purchased a used Pacific Game Co. #1498 "alabaster" set. I can confirm that it is made of a 'cheaper' plastic formulation than that of the much superior, and more expensive #1491 set. That is, the #1498 set is not made of actual alabaster.

magictwanger

Very nice set.I especially like your desire to acquire all sets Fischer used......Interesting collectors attitude.

Good luck

Ronbo710
magictwanger wrote:

Very nice set.I especially like your desire to acquire all sets Fischer used......Interesting collectors attitude.

Good luck

Thanks happy.png . I just wish someone with a 3D Printer had the right dimensions for the Windsor Castle set. With all of the pics of Bobby using that set in his youth they could make a FORTUNE lol. I know HoS redid it in wood. But I want the original plastic version. Or at least a better made plastic one lol. 

DrChesspain

I belonged to the Manhattan Chess Club in the late 70's.  I loved those sets and the wooden tables.  

RussBell

Ronbo710 just sent me the following of a Cavalier #1491 set for sale...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/585853927/7-cavaliers-staunton-classic-chess-set?ref=shop_home_active_18&frs=1

Can't remember exactly what I paid for my set 30+ years ago, but it's interesting to see that it could be selling for roughly 3-4 times what I paid. (Although I have no intention of parting with it - it was my first good chess set.)

RussBell
DrChesspain wrote:

I played with these sets in the Manhattan Chess Club in the mid 70's, which could've been the same sets and tables on which Fischer was playing 10 years prior. 

Cool ! Fischer, or other chess legends who frequently played at the iconic Manhattan Chess Club..!

DrChesspain

At the time I never thought about it, because Fischer was gone by the time I joined in 1976.

However, it was on those boards that I played both Korchnoi and Benko in simuls (drawing the latter), in addition to losing to Seirawan In a skittles when he was touring the East coast as a teenager. 

RussBell
DrChesspain wrote:

At the time I never thought about it, because Fisher was gone by the time I joined in 1976.

However, it was on those boards that I played both Korchnoi and Benko in simuls (drawing the latter), in addition to losing to Seirawan In a Skittles when he was touring the East coast as a teenager. 

VERY cool indeed !  Drawing Benko (multiple time US Chess Champion) was quite an accomplishment!

DrChesspain

What is bittersweet about my draw with Benko is that I was given the FIDE print below, which hung on my bedroom wall throughout high school. I later had it framed and hung in my therapy office...only to see a firefighter throw it while it was smoldering of the window of my burning office while I watched from the street below. 

DrChesspain
Haverumwilltravel wrote:
RussBell wrote:
Haverumwilltravel wrote:

I bought a walnut and alabaster set awhile back. I noticed when shopping around for a set that the sets in the plastic slide top boxes seem to be chipped more than the cardboard boxed sets. I wonder if some sets were played more than others or they changed the plastic formula.

As I mentioned, I have the black and ivory #1491 Cavalier set which is made of a hard plastic.  It could chip if subject to abuse.   My set (purchased in 1989) is still in perfect condition (I take good care of all my sets).  In fact I don't believe the so-called "alabaster" sets are actually made of real alabaster (which is in fact very brittle, and does chip easily), but instead is a type of plastic formulated to emulate the look of alabaster.  I believe that the "alabaster" sets are not made of the same plastic material as the #1491 set, and are more brittle than the #1491 sets, and thus more prone to chipping.  This is only a guess on my part based on looking at photos of the "alabaster" sets.  But since I have no actual experience with those sets, I cannot offer any proof of what they are actually made of.  However, unless someone can correct me with facts, I feel pretty confident that my understanding is correct, or very close to being correct.

I been accused of being dumb russ  but not that dumb. I know they are plastic and alabaster is the color and look of the stone.  I have seen the same brand sets have more chips than others in all of the production numbers. Just asking if it was use, different plastic batches or both. You guys seem to be the experts on these sets.

By the way a Alabaster and Walnut sold last night at auction for $150.00. Somebody really wanted it. 

LOL at someone paying $150 for that set.  I paid $40 only a couple of years ago when I mistakenly thought I was buying the black & ivory double weight.

Again, LOL at $150.

RussBell

@DrChesspain -

Yes. Some people will pay up for iconic chess pieces, which the Cavalier sets appear to be, especially the Pacific Game Co. #1491 Black & Ivory set...

So was your poster completely destroyed or do you still have the charred remains?  Looking back, I could understand if it still had at least some sentimental value...

DrChesspain
RussBell wrote:

@DrChesspain -

So was your poster completely destroyed or do you still have the charred remains?  Looking back, I could understand if it still had at least some sentimental value...

It was actually one of the few items that was completely destroyed, since the fire began in the wires behind the wall.

And I forget to mention that Benko had signed the back of the print. sad.png

DrChesspain

In regards to the sets, my derision was referring to paying that much for the much less nice walnut and alabaster set, which I own. 

RussBell
Haverumwilltravel wrote:

Yeah , I was shocked that it went for that price. I would put mine up for sale if I thought I could get that much. Russ I was joking about the dumb comment.

I kind of thought you were joking (the emoji seemed to say so!).  But I wasn't 100% sure.  I just wanted to clear up any possible misunderstanding.

RussBell
DrChesspain wrote:
RussBell wrote:

@DrChesspain -

It was actually one of the few items that was completely destroyed, since the fire began in the wires behind the wall.

And I forget to mention that Benko had signed the back of the print.

Oh no....and signed by Benko.....I'm sorry to hear that.....I would have been devastated if that had happened to me.....

RussBell
Haverumwilltravel wrote:

I always cruse by Franks shop to see what he has. This is interesting.

https://chessantiques.com/product/vintage-cavalier-tournament-edition-chessmen/

Uh-oh!  A Pacific Game Co. #1491 Black & Ivory.  Appears to be in mint condition.  With the original iconic blue box, also in mint conditon!  This won't last long...not even at that price,...which in all likelihood will continue to appreciate in value if the set stays in the same condition....a lucky collector will scoop it up quickly, I believe...