Identify this Dubrovnik

zagryan

Hello chess friends,

While surfing the internet, I came across some photos of old gentlemen playing chess with what seems like an obscure version of Dubrovnik pieces. Has anyone seen this version before?


Source: 123rf.com

CRYYSIS

Yes

KnightsForkCafe

Seems like a crude 1950 Dubrovnik. I own a Standard Dubrovnik which have a German style Knight. The Queen looks like it has a gear cog for a crown. This is what my Dubrovnik set looks like. 

 

ifekali
These sets were produced in recent years, say five years ago by the Subozan Company in Subotica, Serbia. It's a somewhat crude variant of the Dubrovnik, cheap wood, budget finishing. The knight is crude, the queen has barely any notches in the crown, king and rook are way too thin. Pawns too slim at the base.
 
It's a budget mass produced set with little consideration of aesthetics, playability, legacy. 
 
-Izmet Fekali
 
zagryan
ifekali wrote:
These sets were produced in recent years, say five years ago by the Subozan Company in Subotica, Serbia. It's a somewhat crude variant of the Dubrovnik, cheap wood, budget finishing. The knight is crude, the queen has barely any notches in the crown, king and rook are way too thin. Pawns too slim at the base.
 
It's a budget mass produced set with little consideration of aesthetics, playability, legacy. 
 
-Izmet Fekali
 

Mass produced only five years ago? That is recent indeed. Thought it might have been made during Yugoslavia-era. Thank you for sharing this info (and other wealth of info) on Dubrovnik chess pieces, Izmet. 

zagryan
KnightsForkCafe wrote:

Seems like a crude 1950 Dubrovnik. I own a Standard Dubrovnik which have a German style Knight. The Queen looks like it has a gear cog for a crown. This is what my Dubrovnik set looks like. 

 

 

Hi KnightsForkCafe, that is an interesting set you have there, though I'm hesitant to call it a "Standard Dubrovnik" when it doesn't have a Dubrovnik styled knight. Still an interesting set...

KnightsForkCafe
zagryan wrote:
KnightsForkCafe wrote:

Seems like a crude 1950 Dubrovnik. I own a Standard Dubrovnik which have a German style Knight. The Queen looks like it has a gear cog for a crown. This is what my Dubrovnik set looks like. 

 

 

Hi KnightsForkCafe, that is an interesting set you have there, though I'm hesitant to call it a "Standard Dubrovnik" when it doesn't have a Dubrovnik styled knight. Still an interesting set...

Where I bought the set from that is what they call it. If you watch the YouTube channel Balkan Chess. You will see the same set used in tournaments. I guess they call it Standard since it is all over the Balkans in chess tournaments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtuPLw9_bc

Chessoholicar
KnightsForkCafe wrote:

Seems like a crude 1950 Dubrovnik. I own a Standard Dubrovnik which have a German style Knight. The Queen looks like it has a gear cog for a crown. This is what my Dubrovnik set looks like. 

 

 

It looks like a slightly better version of this set(Standrad Dubrovnik) will come out soon. A slightly better knight, a better crown on the Queen, Rook with five cuts, extra Queens. The price will be around 50 euros.

KnightsForkCafe

Yes I agree that your set is definitely better looking set. I can find it but kind of hard to order it. Could you send me a link that is easier to order from the USA? 

Chessoholicar
KnightsForkCafe wrote:

Yes I agree that your set is definitely better looking set. I can find it but kind of hard to order it. Could you send me a link that is easier to order from the USA? 

This is not my set. This set is not mass-produced yet. Once it's mass-produced, you'll probably be able to buy it where you bought the previous one.

KnightsForkCafe

OK. I bought mine from chessgamesshop.com I will check back from time to time.

Chessoholicar
zagryan wrote:

Hello chess friends,

While surfing the internet, I came across some photos of old gentlemen playing chess with what seems like an obscure version of Dubrovnik pieces. Has anyone seen this version before?

 


Source: 123rf.com

It looks like Subozan set. I think this set is from 80's. You can see a lot of similarities with my Subozan sets from 90's: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/subozan-dubrovniks  But the set You shared looks slightly better quality and older than mine sets.

Chessoholicar
zagryan wrote:

Hello chess friends,

While surfing the internet, I came across some photos of old gentlemen playing chess with what seems like an obscure version of Dubrovnik pieces. Has anyone seen this version before?

 


Source: 123rf.com

One more thing. I see in one picture that this set has red felt. Subozan put red felt only on special sets. Sets made specially for strong tournaments or as a gift to business friends maybe prizes at tournaments ...

sound67
KnightsForkCafe hat geschrieben:

OK. I bought mine from chessgamesshop.com I will check back from time to time.

The only better quality set they're selling now is made from sheesham, so it's probably from India: http://chessgamesshop.com/mobile.php?c=0&p=111176

pfudie

South East Asian reproduction set - brand new for sale. Board and clock not included, King 3.8".

zagryan
Chessoholicar wrote: One more thing. I see in one picture that this set has red felt. Subozan put red felt only on special sets. Sets made specially for strong tournaments or as a gift to business friends maybe prizes at tournaments ...

Now I know the meaning behind certain felt colors on certain pieces. Thanks for this tip.

zagryan
Chessoholicar wrote:

It looks like Subozan set. I think this set is from 80's. You can see a lot of similarities with my Subozan sets from 90's: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/subozan-dubrovniks  But the set You shared looks slightly better quality and older than mine sets.

Subozan set seems to underline the notion that the distinctive feature of the Dubrovnik design is the opposite colored finials on the bishops. Up to now, I had assumed it was the trojan-horse-like knights or the absence of religious symbols.

zagryan
pfudie wrote:

South East Asian reproduction set - brand new for sale. Board and clock not included, King 3.8".

Is that a Fide Pinoy Dubrovnik made in the Philippines? 

pfudie

No.