Post Your Chess Sets

  • #441
    mpax356 wrote:

    Here is Soviet era Russian design set I turned inspired by my younger  granddaughter.  I previously posted the first set I made. I had played some chess with her older sister who went on to win a trophy at an after school chess group. This stirred some interest in her younger sibling. The light pieces were turned from Bradford Pear and the green pieces are dyed persimmon. I also did a short video on making this set. 

    very nice work you did here...Bravo!

  • #442

    That's a weird looking green stain. So that's where Russia's been shipping their radioactive waste from Chernobyl. Puts a whole new spin on "going green."

  • #443

    My chess sets

     

    phpvz8EH8.jpeg 

  • #444

    phpE0EcTB.jpeg

  • #445

    phpGQelPA.jpeg

  • #446

    This is a photo of my Grandfather's set.  I didn't know he played chess until after he died.  Does anyone recognize this style?  I don't know where or when he acquired it.php4Cao7G.jpeg

  • #447

    Nice set your Grandfather had, DavidAKn.  I don't recognize the style but it looks great! The bodies of the pieces remind me a little bit of the Saint George style, but only slightly.  

  • #448
    DavidAKn wrote:

    This is a photo of my Grandfather's set.  I didn't know he played chess until after he died.  Does anyone recognize this style?  I don't know where or when he acquired it.

    it could be a mexican chess set

    phpFgmum3.jpeg

  • #449

    loubalch: "So that's where Russia's been shipping their radioactive waste from Chernobyl"

     

    Teenage Mutant Ninja Chesspieces?

  • #450
    MySeT wrote:
    DavidAKn wrote:

    This is a photo of my Grandfather's set.  I didn't know he played chess until after he died.  Does anyone recognize this style?  I don't know where or when he acquired it.

    it could be a mexican chess set

     Thanks MySeT --- great find! My grandparents lived in Mexico for a short time and he could have purchased it there!

     

  • #451
    verylate wrote:

    loubalch: "So that's where Russia's been shipping their radioactive waste from Chernobyl"

     

    Teenage Mutant Ninja Chesspieces?

    Precisely!

  • #452
    DavidAKn wrote:
    Thanks MySeT --- great find! My grandparents lived in Mexico for a short time and he could have purchased it there!

    you are welcome, happy to help...

     

  • #453

    I just ordered this set from a seller in Slovenia.  It looks like a simplified Vienna Coffeehouse style.  I can't wait for it to get here.  The board is 31x31 cm (12.25 x 12.25 in), so it is more of an analysis size, and it will be easier to move around.

    phpK4421p.jpeg

    php0wMT6T.jpeg

  • #454

    Jaques Fischer - Spassky set.

    Cat loves it Smile

  • #455
    DavidAKn escribió:

    This is a photo of my Grandfather's set.  I didn't know he played chess until after he died.  Does anyone recognize this style?  I don't know where or when he acquired it.

     

    An old mexican set (1940's?) . Take good care of it, you won't find one in such a great condition like yours anymore.

  • #456

    Thanks for the info - informatica!

     

  • #457
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #458
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #459
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #460
    Carla-Magnusson wrote:

    Jaques Fischer - Spassky set.

    Cat loves it 

     

    Copycat--that's my set, too.  ;-)

Top
or Join
=

Online Now