Forums

The truth hurts

Sort:
neverherebefore

You can't obtain any title unless you play O-T-B

Surtrd
neverherebefore wrote:

You can't obtain any title unless you play O-T-B

no shirt sherlock

Pauliez
I started gulping down chess at 2 years old , I’m 3 now and I’ve learned so much ,sorry I meant cheese🤣
DrSpudnik
Pauliez wrote:
I started gulping down chess at 2 years old , I’m 3 now and I’ve learned so much ,sorry I meant cheese🤣

I thought something smelled funny.

lfPatriotGames

I think the reason so few people reach top level chess after learning at a late age is not because of lack of talent, or lack of money, or lack of dedication, or lack of resources. 

I think the reason is because if someone wants to start chess at age 25 (or more) and is willing to spend the hours, dedication, money etc just to become a grandmaster, that goal alone tells me they are not smart enough to ever become a grandmaster. 

TechiesUL

Adults just don't have time. That's the only difference. You need at least 10k hours to reach mastery level in any discipline. If people start at age 30, they will be 40+ by then. Also not feasible due to family/work commitment. It's not like you can freely spend 12 hours a day playing chess like when you are a kid.

zone_chess

Something that Magnus made clear once about why you can only become a top GM if you start early, is that children process information differently.

For a young child, chess becomes their life, as opposed to an element within their life.

The brain as such attaches affinities to things that happen on the chessboard vs. things that happen in the realm of family, school, going out, etc.

This is why superGMs can see things no one can - they have emotional weights added to the visual and cortical information they're receiving. And in comparison, adults can only learn chess the robotic way-like it's a school subject- because their emotional attachments and affinities have already been formed.

There's hardly any adult who will 'emotionally' care about his C-knight, you see.
But to a top GM that knight may be more important than his parents. So maneuvering that knight is a matter of life and death, and not just part of a game. Adults 'know better' but that's why they don't make it as far. We would have to be entirely rewired. Do LSD until only pure unfiltered reality enters the brain, you have forgotten everybody and everything, and then start with a chessboard happy.png 

The truth is harsh.

BadZen
MOKHTARI07 wrote:

chess is different from many other activities where you will, almost
automatically, keep on getting better throughout your life. Chess must be learned at a young age
- even the smartest guy in the world has no chance of becoming a grandmaster if he learns the
game at say 25! Playing the violin and learning languages are similar activities - the brain needs
a special map for these kinds of activities, so it has to be learned at an early age - due to some
brain chemistry stuff, I guess. That explains why so many players get stuck at a certain level - their
map is done! Depressing, eh? But that's where Aagaard (and other heavyweights like Dvoretsky
and Yusupov) come to the rescue 

From intro of Jacob book 

 

 

 

 

This is pop-opinion, unscientific nonsense.  You're literally saying adults can't learn a second language.  I and countless others are counterexamples.

"the brain has a special map for these kinds of activities"

Show us evidence of the existence of such a "brain map".  You can't.

"due to some brain chemistry stuff".  Which, exactly?    You're making this up.

"no chance of becoming a grandmaster if he learns the game at say 25!"

GM McDonnell started at 27.   Stop spreading nonsense.

Pauliez

so much crap about not being able to learn as an adult to a high standard total BS,yes you can,the brain is plastic,and reshapes to new learning,science has proven this,sorry ,you are wrong completely ,

Eyes1289

Pokimane is a GM but she hasn't said how she got the title 

BadZen
Eyes1289 wrote:

Pokimane is a GM but she hasn't said how she got the title 

No she isn't, it was just a joke / flair.

DrSpudnik
Pauliez wrote:

so much crap about not being able to learn as an adult to a high standard total BS,yes you can,the brain is plastic,and reshapes to new learning,science has proven this,sorry ,you are wrong completely ,

I don't think people mean that one can't learn anything as an adult, but that it is difficult to learn anything worth a damn. Some people learn later and make some progress, but that isn't the way to bet.

Jimemy

The truth might also be that most people might not be GM no matter what age they start at.

I don´t think one should blame age or letting age stopping people to get better at chess. Most people wont be titled anyway but they can at least become very good at chess even do they don´t earn a title.