1. e4 vs 1. d4

• 2 months ago · Quote · #261

cameroncam67 wrote:

For Grandmasters, e4 is more popular.

That's because e4 games lead to more exciting games from which one side will emerge with a clear advantage, rather than a long and boring game of positioning.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #262

Anyone who says that e4 is sharper then d4 should see some KID games (Excluding the fianchetto variation 

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #263

Can we conclude that 1.e4 and 1.d4 are absolutely equivalent by measure of objective end result (win, loss, draw)? Unless we are prepared to argue that White wins by force after 1.d4 but not after 1.e4, or vice versa, then we admit that both moves lead to the same end result, assuming best play. Hans Berliner created an opening system using 1.d4 whereas Weaver Adams explored the Bishop’s Opening & Vienna Game. You can find a variation tree of Berliner’s system, some of which has accompanying Stockfish Analysis, at the link below.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #264

e4 for life

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #265

This question is only real question for me. As black I feel comfortable when I face to either e4 or d4. However when I play white I don't know what should I play. I used to play e4, but I hate e5, which is possibly leading to Ruy Lopez. I tried to play Vienna or Bc4 to avoid Ruy Lopez but not quite well. So I begin to play d4. So far so good.
  • 6 days ago · Quote · #266

e4 vs d4

i feel d4 is better 

• 6 days ago · Quote · #267

e4 aims for next move d4 and controlling center

but d4 aims for c4 and attacking on queenside

• 13 hours ago · Quote · #268

It all comes down to which opening system you want to mangle.

• 9 hours ago · Quote · #269

I don't play either of them generally, but I find that e4 has so many more directions that can be taken in the game that as white one needs to be a lot better prepared.  There are still quite a few variations starting with d4, but no where near as many as white so it is probably better for newer players and those who don't want to learn a lot of opening theory.

Post your reply: