Forums

Is anything better for me than the Parham?

Sort:
The_Gavinator

No actually, most people on this site are the beginners who know tons of openings and bluder pieces. The ruy lopez, even after move 3, is very closed. It would be harder for me to do what I did.

The_Gavinator

CHCL, maybe it's because those openings aren't bad. (DUHHHHH!!!!)

whatupyodog

LOL CHCL, maybe its cuz those openings pwn, plus i barely even play on this site, i would probably be over 2k if i did.

waffllemaster

Also CHCL, you forget to take into account that successful troll is successful.

I mean seriously...

Ben_Dubuque

Gavinator here is my analysis

CHCL

That is the point. If you would play stronger openings you would easily break the 2000 barrier. It is holding you back.

Also why don't Grandmasters play the Parham? Obviously because it is bad.

whatupyodog

wow, great defense bro on moves 7 and 8, except one small problem on move 9, Bxf6 pwns the fuck out of black.

CHCL

I am sorry if people are taking my suggestions the wrong way. I am not trying to troll though.

whatupyodog

NO, i am taking them seriously, its this jetfighter dumbass im pissed at.

Ben_Dubuque

yeah, That is why I don't normally do analysis this late at knight

The_Gavinator

I've already explained this, the Parham is incredibly open, a slight error can cause fireworks to explode, gm's tend to avoid that. At our lower level, mistakes are common, and Parham players can explode. I have never played a master, so my slight tactical errors aren't being exploited, and I can use my open attacking game to win games. I don't see why that's bad?

Jetfighter, I dont' see what you did. You added like two comments. And have you considered I did so well because of the Parham? If I was in the ruy lopez, I wouldn't be able to exploit my opponent like that, which is why the Parham pwns,

Ben_Dubuque

no you don't get that your opponent screwed his game over fairly quickly, in the Ruy, or the Italian game, which you don't want to make either of those agressive because you seem to get with out giving, you will not make it very far in the real world that way, to get a reward you need to take risks; take the stock market, you are investing in Government bonds, which are very low risk, because against your opposition you gain a decent proportion of wins, I play the riskier investments with a higher payout if I am succesful in controling the game and not just waiting for my opponent to F up like the parham hopes to, its Government bonds vs. Stock in Gibson Guitars.

The_Gavinator

In the kings gambit, which I know you think is the best thing ever, you only win if your opponent f's up. Otherwise you lose. The thing with the Parham is, you didn't throw away that pawn and open up your kingside, so if your opponent plays solid defence, you end up even.  Judging by your analysis above, I don't think you need to tell me what's bad about the Parham, it just shows I'd crush you too. If my opponent did your alternate line above, I'd go up a piece and a rook, and have probably had him resign right there.

whatupyodog

Jetfighter, you are dumb, the all reward no risk thing you cant think of is counting cards, which you could compare to the parham.

Ben_Dubuque

I know how to count cards, but there is a risk to that, getting caught....

also the KG is no where near lost, it is just a different way to play, Spassky killed Fischer with it, with the Variation that Fischer later claimed was busted, but has been found to give white a slight edge, but I don't play the King's Knight's Gambit because it is no where near as fun as the Bishop's Gambit. also there is no such thing as all reward, no risk, or else we would all be friggin millionairs, CEO's, and President's, we would all get into heaven, and there would be no problems in the world. now would that be a good world, I think not, it is the recipe for disaster, so even then there is a risk.

The_Gavinator

Of course, there's a risk I can walk outside and get hit by an asteroid, there's a risk I can be walking down the sidewalk and get bitten by a venomous snake, but the risk is minimal. There are levels of risk, which don't always equate to reward. Working on a construction site is high risk, with all the dangers of accidents, but not too good of a reward. Being a software engineer is low risk, (carpal tunnel?), and high reward. The KG is high risk, decent reward. The Parham is low risk, high reward (as shown above).

whatupyodog
[COMMENT DELETED]
whatupyodog

Edited for language; let's keep it clean, gang.  :)

The_Gavinator

I've had better results with the parham than with any other opening. It is aggressive, and allows me to exploit opponents mistakes, as in the sample game. In a closed ruy lopez, there's no way I could do that.

gambiteer12

The only reason why you are able to use the parham to good effect against beginners is because they neglect basic opening principles. You don't need to know any theory, all you need to do is make a few logical moves. Most of my rapid games in the ruy lopez last around 20 moves (passive?). Beginners games are filled with tactical oversights regardless of opening.

This forum topic has been locked