Forums

Kings Gambit Novelty???

Sort:
atarw

My Kings Gambit Novelty.

Can you see a refute? I want to know out of curiosity and for use in real games.
atarw

Your right, but for some reason, when I continue the line on Stockfish, the line is -1.13 for Black after Nc6, but after 0-0-0, the evaluation jumps to + 0.76. Any idea on why this might happen?

atarw

OK, thanks! I guess it wasn't as good as I thought :(

senor_ananas

I think it is good as long as you win with it. It may be not perfectly sound, but whatever, you probably are not playing GMs or what, it may be tough for them to refute or to defend OTB.

"If you wait for luck to turn up, the life becomes very boring." Mikhail Tal

senor_ananas

To add something to my previous post:

The "rating" on this site is the only thing by which I can know something ybout your chess strength. You are rated 1608, so I suppose there is at least a small difference between you and someone rated 1731. I had this game against him.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=51136695

I achieved 1850 points with similar style :) Against some opposition you don't have to play always the objectively best move to win.

atarw
melvinbluestone wrote:

The knight sac on f3 is certainly not a novelty, almost at any point in the KG. Even 3.Nf3 g5 4.d4 g4 5.Bxf4 gxf3 6.Qxf3 is pretty old hat, and gives white a very dynamic position. But here, again, Nc6 is problematic for white.

Sorry, before I didn't know that, I didn't go to Chess.com's Game Explorer, or anything, I just used some intuition. Why are all the good ideas taken?

atarw
senor_ananas wrote:

To add something to my previous post:

The "rating" on this site is the only thing by which I can know something ybout your chess strength. You are rated 1608, so I suppose there is at least a small difference between you and someone rated 1731. I had this game against him.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=51136695

I achieved 1850 points with similar style :) Against some opposition you don't have to play always the objectively best move to win.

NICE GAME!

DA28

This line seems pretty similar to the Muzio gambit variation. It's hard to say how your variation fares in comparison - it might be easier to gain kingside play, but in exchange for the knight, the Muzio gambit gains enormous pressure on the f-file. The LSB also hasn't been developed in your game... I would actually reccomend Bc4 before 0-0-0 as Bg5 might be a useful threat, forcing Qd7 ( I think that's best, correct me if I'm wrong), which also shuts in Black's LSB. Eh, just some thoughts. Your variation is certainly playable.

senor_ananas

I just want to add my opinion: the king's gambit is refuted as long as your opponent knows the refutation. None (almost none) of us plays against GMs, not even titled players, so why should we not try it ? KG is a beautiful, in my opinion maybe the best opening against an unprepared opponent who wants to play e5 against e4.

None of our opponents have time to do a "4 month analysis on some 2800 cores super-computer" so the KG players can take a sh*t on it. Again, I repeat it is just my opinion and I don't want to persuade someone who doesn't want to play it.

TwoMove

I guess people know the date of the article...

atarw
VladBGhita wrote:

Vasik Rajlich claims that he refuted the King's gambit after 4 months of analysis on some 2800 cores super-computer. You might check the Chessbase.com article about that.

This variation has some practical chances, but loses by force, as it appears. I cannot tell you what the "force" is, ask Mr. Rajlich about that. :)

Wasn't that an April fools joke?

atarw

How about instead of 5.Nc3, why not 5.Bc4?

Because assuming both players follow the same moves after Bc4, won't it be better?

White can move the bishop on f4 somewhere else, and discover an attack similar to Scholar's Mate.