Forums

Only 4%?!

Sort:
chessmaster102
ivandh wrote:

For a long time I never saw the Sicilian played against me, despite all the hype. It's all about sample size.

same with me but not the sicilian but the modern defense which I think the name itself is ironic

Ben_Dubuque

1. c4 all the way or 1.b3 or 1. Nf3 but never ever 1.e4 or 1.d4 those just make my stomach turn round and round and round, it makes me puke when someone plays thos against me

Wou_Rem
LavaRook wrote

@Wouter

What variation of the Dutch do you play? To me, both the Stonewall and Leningrad are really positional...

The Leningrad Dutch is quite aggresive.
Haven't been able to try it in serious games though. And online chess just isn't my thing, I keep losing because I don't think about moves.
But it has been serving me well in live chess :D. Hopefully I get some 1.d4 games against me in OTB games.

WhereDoesTheHorseGo
DrSpudnik wrote:

...I personally don't play 1. e4 because of the reasons cited.  

Do you mean 1.d4? You don't play 1.d4, right?

DrSpudnik
ivoryknight71 wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote:

...I personally don't play 1. e4 because of the reasons cited.  

Do you mean 1.d4? You don't play 1.d4, right?

You are correct. Mistype changed! Cool I hope it is clearer now.

I play e4, but not for those reasons.

Wou_Rem
DrSpudnik wrote:

mmmmmmmmmmm Dutch cheese!

Almost everyday I eat Dutch cheese.
And not the kind they export to America, the kind with all the flavour and salts still in it :D.

DrSpudnik
Wouter_Remmerswaal wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote:

mmmmmmmmmmm Dutch cheese!

Almost everyday I eat Dutch cheese.
And not the kind they export to America, the kind with all the flavour and salts still in it :D.

We often don't get the good stuff imported from other countries, because of agricultural lobbies that throw up bogus reasons to not allow in decent competition...like German smoked pork products, unpasteurized cheese products and so on. Cry

And as for low rated players & d4, they screw up those openings just as badly as they do e4. If they didn't, they wouldn't be low rated. Openings really don't matter, since they usually come to grief with a missed tactical shot or some piece placed on a lame square.

loeksnokes
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote: I used to play the Classical Dutch, and may yet take up the cause again.

Yeah, but the problem with the Dutch is they take you to a coffeehouse and next thing you know you are staggering out on to the street 7 hours later with no money and a permanent cheesey grin on your face.

OMG.  ROTFLMAO!!!  so true... 

DrSpudnik

OK, maybe it's time for an update.

Three years later, I have 137 "online chess" (slow) games as black completed. 1.d4 is move one in 38 of them: 27.73%.
By comparison, there are 73 games with 1.e4 at 53.28%.

The interesting finding is that my wins as black against 1.d4 are 52.6%, while the wins for white are 26.3%. Against 1.e4 I win 64.4% of the games and lose 24.7%. The big difference is in the draws: 21.1% against 1.d4 and only 11% for 1.e4--almost twice as many draws in the Queen-pawn games.

Ben_Dubuque

And as for me, I play 1 e4 exclusively as white.