Forums

Why does GM like Slav but not Caro Kann?

Sort:
Punky81

I have seen several pairings mentioned, but nobody has listed a better pairing for either CK or Slav or Semi-Slav. What would be your recommended pairing for each of these. (I pair semi-slav with 1.e4 e5. My stats with slav are great, but I am terrible with CK despite playing it exclusively for a while.)

ghostofmaroczy
Punky81 wrote:

I have seen several pairings mentioned, but nobody has listed a better pairing for either CK or Slav or Semi-Slav. What would be your recommended pairing for each of these.

SemiSlav with Sveshnikov

Slav with Classical Sicilian

QGD with CaroKann

Jion_Wansu

Does this work for white:

ghostofmaroczy
Punky81

Thanks, I will check those out, Ghost. I do great against anti-Sicilians, but was failing with the najdorf when I gave up on sicilian defense.

I have seen several pairings mentioned, but nobody has listed a better pairing for either CK or Slav or Semi-Slav. What would be your recommended pairing for each of these.

SemiSlav with Sveshnikov

QGD with CaroKann

Till_98

Omg annoying how many people without any clue(nothing personal) write down completly wrong stuff. They dont even know the main lines for the openings(caro-kann=Bf5+pawn on d5; slav=Bf5+no pawn on d5 because of the move dxc4 played. To develop the bishop to f5 without taking on c4 is even a mistake which white can make use of easiely with Qb3). Also black tries in some lines also to hold the c4 pawn with b5 in the caro-kann(for example in the advance variation with whites early c4 move black often takes to get the d5 square(similar to the slav,semi-slav and Qgd) and then tries to hold the pawn with b5) which is similar to some slav-lines( and to the catalan). And NO you can not compare the french with the kingsindian as ThrillerFan did, thats just complete trash and non sense( 90%of his post is wrong and trash, its even a bit funny that some people believe what he wrote). So please guys, its not important to have clue of everything but when you have absolutely no clue then please dont invent non existing stuff and simply say nothing. Thanks and Cheers, Till

ghostofmaroczy
Till_98

when you have absolutely no clue then please dont invent non existing stuff and simply say nothing.

ghostofmaroczy
Punky81 wrote:

Thanks, I will check those out, Ghost. I do great against anti-Sicilians, but was failing with the najdorf when I gave up on sicilian defense.

SemiSlav with Sveshnikov

QGD with CaroKann

Sveshnikov:

Don't let your kingside pawn roll get blocked.

Do kill the White d5 knight when you need to.

Till_98

lol what was the point in saying my words again in bigger size? :D