Forums

How did you choose your username?

Sort:
SPARTANEMESIS

I had to come up with something appropriate so it was either cybernetichasse (with my model number) or this. 

SimonWebbsTiger

I chose my user name to honour the memory of the late Simon Webb. His classic book "Chess for Tigers" was one of the very first chess books I read, way back when I was a kid. I loved the cartoons of the human and tiger which accompanied each chapter.

DrSpudnik

It would have made more sense if I found an avatar pic that looked like a non-modern Mr Potatohead, which I originally intended. I guess it's a name fail.

corrijean

Mine is a variation of my name.

losingmove

I figured I would lose a lot of games here.

CaptainPike

Well, my user name was originally "BraindeadBrainiac". I chose that name because I am pretty smart and have an above average IQ; but, I am sometimes braindead -- slow on the uptake, scatterbrained, turn left when I mean to turn right, constantly leave half of what I need for work and home, and can't find my car keys. So, BraindeadBrainiac.

My name is now CaptainPike. I chose this name because I am a Trekkie and I started a Star Trek/Sci Fi group, "Starfleet Academy". So, I wanted something more SciFi. Kirk and Spock were taken in about a dozen different ways, then I got to thinking about Captain Pike from Star Trek; the Captain of the Starship Enterprise prior to the famous James T. Kirk. So my current name was chosen based on me being a Super-Admin for a group based heavily on Star Trek.

AndTheLittleOneSaid

Well, there were three in the bed...

jesterville

This is an interesting read actually...although "the trolls" tries to hijack your thread at the beginning.

I chose my name because at the time of joining chess.com the move "The Dark Knight" was my favourite...and I am a movie buff. I am also a comic book collector (about 10,000 and growing), and the Batman was always one of my favs...with so many variations to his name taken...a play on the Joker seemed appropriate.

KhunRua

The 'Khun' and 'Rua' are two pieces in Thai chess. 'Khun' is the King (or 'lord' or 'noble') and 'Rua' means boat. 'Khun' is also a form of address (similar to "Mr.", but used with the first name), so it should naturally go first. I happen to live in a town called Tha Rua.

Gil-Gandel

Mine's Elvish (as in LotR) and means "Star-harp" - it's a name I made up for an elven minstrel in an RPG.

_ETHER_

The song Ether by NAS

trentthechessnut

My name is Trent and I am a chess nut.  Also used to have a blog which i called blog of a chess nut......

DalaiLuke
KhunRua wrote:

The 'Khun' and 'Rua' are two pieces in Thai chess. 'Khun' is the King (or 'lord' or 'noble') and 'Rua' means boat. 'Khun' is also a form of address (similar to "Mr.", but used with the first name), so it should naturally go first. I happen to live in a town called Tha Rua.

This is excellent!

My name kinda chose me.  My last name is Lucarelli; I've been called Luke since some very insane college days ... and dalai is the alter-ego, ever-present big mind.   

nightempler

my coins, and job says it all !!!!

AndyClifton
jesterville wrote:

This is an interesting read actually...although "the trolls" tries to hijack your thread at the beginning.

Don't you mean "because"? Smile

BaronDerKilt

One bonny day, there I was when I felt an odd breeze, an ill-wind ye might say, blowin thru me Utili-kilt. I tooks me a look and sure nuff, I forgot me knickers !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJVFJ2kb62c&feature=related

VULPES_VULPES

Please be relevant, helpful, and nice!

nameno1had

mine is obvious, I couldn't find one I liked for a minute...

batgirl

Seems like an interesting post. . .   I've been the "batgirl" for about 15 years.  I first used this handle when I signed on at FICS in 1997, then a telnet only site.  I picked that name because I was working the night shift at the time - 11pm-7am -  and slept all day like a bat.   It seemed appropriate at the time.    Even though I work daytime now, I've continued to use this moniker everywhere whenever possible.    It has served me well over these many, many years. 

beardogjones

Beardog is my firstname. My last name is Jones.