Forums

Battle of Morgarten II: McGoohan and HolographWars vs rychessmaster1 and CM thegreatauk

Sort:
vickalan
CoffeeAnd420 wrote:

...Is there a point to this?

😈😈😈 I want revenge. 😈😈😈

McGoohan
vickalan hat geschrieben:
Naviary wrote:

I want to be on your team vick!

HolographWars:
I want to be on McGoohan again.

Ok, this should be a great game (I hope this time), and I like the teams: (Naviary and me) vs. (McGoohan and HolographWars).😈

We just need McGoohan to confirm that he will play. I also can't start for a few days - I'm a little busy, but maybe start about 1-week from now?

And I like Naviary's board and graphics. All other rules are the same, right?

I agree with the teams and am very curious whether a backyard strategy will work again. I have only played 5 Infinite Team Games and we all won with a backyard strategy. But the first three games were with stronger pieces, Falcon and Griffon. In "normal" Infinit a backyard strategy is rather hopeless, unless the opponent allows it through mistakes. But in the 4 Player Game there is a special dynamic that makes many things possible. I'm looking forward to the game together with HolographWars.

Naviary
HolographWars wrote:

Auk is in check, and will be punished for pushing one pawnhappy.png

I reviewed the game, this post made me crack up xD It seems you really can't be passive in 4-player, there are double checks left and right!

Martin0

One tempo in the opening is probably worth more than a knight.

vickalan
McGoohan wrote:

I agree with the teams...

How about we say the game starts in 1-week (Friday July 6)? I'll initiate the thread. Naviary will post boards updates, but I can be backup.

I have some travel planned in July. I'm ok with 3-day move limit, but will need vacation time. Is it ok if 4 extra vacation days are allowed every 20 moves?

vickalan
Naviary wrote:
HolographWars wrote:

Auk is in check, and will be punished for pushing one pawn

I reviewed the game, this post made me crack up xD It seems you really can't be passive in 4-player, there are double checks left and right!

Martin0 wrote:

One tempo in the opening is probably worth more than a knight.

I agree with both Naviary and Martin0. Once your opponent begins an attack, especially from the "backyard", any wasted moves or improper response can be very punishing.

It makes me wonder if in this game the first move advantage might actually be worth a few pawns (1 or 2?).

But with the large number of pieces, positions can get so complicated that I suspect most games have not been super-accurate. Even if there is a first-move advantage, I tend to feel it gets "lost" quickly in the subsequent play. If either side plays slightly imperfectly (which is bound to happen), the other side can seize those opportunities to good advantage.

Martin0

When I say that one tempo in the opening might be worth more than a knight, then you should consider that the first move advantage makes yellow one tempo ahead of green and blue is one tempo ahead of red. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 pawns advantage...

Martin0

That said, one way to interpret my statement is that knights is not worth much wink.png

McGoohan
Martin0 hat geschrieben:

That said, one way to interpret my statement is that knights is not worth much

Basically, I agree with the enormously high importance of the tempo in the opening. But in a backyard attack, a knight on line 0 or 9 can protect both the king and the weak square such as (6,2). In defense the knight can be quite valuable!

vickalan

Are all four players still able to play?
(Naviary and me) vs. (McGoohan and HolographWars)

I know some of us may be in other games so maybe we can use a 4-day move limit? My preference on this game is skillful play, and not finishing soon.

HolographWars

Yes, I am able to play.

HolographWars

Make a different thread though.

Naviary

Yes!!

McGoohan
HolographWars hat geschrieben:

Yes, I am able to play.

Me too

HolographWars
vickalan wrote:

Trophies for @McGoohan and @HolographWars:

Spelled my name wrong AGAIN since my name is Holo Graph. Nickname is "Wars". 

We gonna play soon?

vickalan

Sorry I spelled your name wrong.😪 It was for a trophy so I fixed it and also gave you some chips:

null

vickalan

Unless something comes up, I will start a thread for this game tomorrow. Getting late for me now.😐

HolographWars

We starting?

vickalan

Very sorry - I really want to play, but too much stuff each night. I promise my best I'll start this tomorrow. Warning though: I'm going to be travelling soon, so game will be slow for a while.

McGoohan

Can we make a 7-day move limit until the end of August? I will travel for a few weeks in August and there it rarely has Internet Access.