Forums

Chess on an Infinite Plane (game: bowlinggreen - vickalan)

Sort:
vickalan
phpInGd41.png
This thread is for a game of "Chess on an Infinite Plane" between bowlinggreen and vickalan.

Rules:

The Pieces:
Black and White each have the following pieces (quantity and name)
1 king
1 queen
2 chancellors
2 rooks
2 bishops
2 knights
2 guards
2 hawks
24 pawns

All pieces move as in classical chess, with the "extra" three pieces moving as follows:

Chancellor (C)- Moves and captures as rook + knight.
phpdRpQxg.png

Hawk (H) - Leaps exactly 2 or 3 squares in any orthogonal or diagonal direction. The leaping move means it can jump over other pieces.
phpRPgGk3.png

Guard (G) - Moves and captures the same as a king but is not affected by check. Other information on the guard can be found (here). (not particular to this game)
phpwX8fcq.png

Pawns play the same and promote at the same rank as in classical chess.
White pawns promote at rank 8, and black pawns promote at rank 1. Pawns can promote to chancellor, hawk, or guard in addition to queen, rook, bishop, or knight. Pawns may capture and be captured en passant with the same rules as in classical chess.

Board Setup:
phpxXSvhV.png
A red bracket indicates the a1 (1,1) square.

There is no castling.

There is no fifty-move rule. Draws can only occur from stalemate, threefold repetition, agreement, or a proven case of insufficient material to force checkmate.

All other rules are the same as in classical chess.

The Chessboard:
1. Board for OTB Play:
A playing area should be setup with at least 24 ranks and 20 files. Ensure provisions are available to expand the board if play requires. If this becomes inconvenient due to far-away pieces, a display board is used to indicate the location of remote pieces. If there is interesting play in small but remote areas, other playing areas can be labeled and used separatelly from the main board.

2. Diagram for Online Play:
A chess diagram is used to indicate the position of pieces either after each move by white, or each move by black. The diagram should include 24 ranks and 20 files. If any pieces are moved outside of this area, the diagram is expanded or notes are shared to indicate the location of far-away pieces.  If there is interesting play in small but remote areas, other diagrams can be used to show piece positions separatelly from the main diagram.

Move Notation:
Numeric coordinates are used to identify piece locations as (file#, rank#). The "a1" square is (1,1) and is marked on the chess diagram with a small red bracket. Increasing files are to the right, and increasing ranks are toward the back.

Parenthesis are used around each coordinate. Three examples of a move notation:
1) A rook moving from (8,4) to (1,4):
     R(8,4)-(1,4) or R(1,4)
2) A rook moving from (1,4) and capturing a piece on (0,4):
     R(1,4)x(0,4) or Rx(0,4)
3) A pawn advancing from (-1,7) to (-1,6):
     (-1,7)-(-1,6) or (-1,6)

To all:
Please do not post any comments about this game here. I'd like to reserve this thread to just this game, and not go off-topic with ideas, criticisms, etc.

If anyone has comments or ideas about Chess on an Infinite Plane please visit (here).

This game is ready for play. Bowling green, you may play white.happy.png If anyone else would like to play please visit (this thread).
evert823

Bowlinggreen always takes much time for his first move.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess960-chess-variants/chess-with-angel-and-joker-bowlinggreen---evertvb

vickalan

I'll send him a PM (but will he log-on to read it)? I hope he plays but if not we can offer the games to someone else. Or ask him to resign.wink.png

bowlinggreen

hi

bowlinggreen

e4

vickalan
bowling green, for other moves in this game you need to show your moves as a coordinate. That's because files to the left are negative, so we use numbers instead.
(See the marker at the bottom of the diagram to help find the file number)
e4 = (5,4)
I'll play:
1...(3,5)
phpmSSe3C.png
bowlinggreen

N37

vickalan
You don't have any knights that can get to (3,7). I circled 3,7.
It's 3 files to the right of the red bracket, and 7 ranks above it. Way too far for your knights. Will you play a different move?
phpVQWOdy.png
bowlinggreen

n73

vickalan

from your message I got that you mean N6,3. Thanks. I'll play a pawn move:

2...(4,6)

php6JAHvw.png

bowlinggreen

vickalan

Congratulations! We are first people to exchange pieces in "Chess on an Infinite Plane". I'm also showing captured pieces at top and bottom of diagram. I'll play:

3...(3,5)x(4,4)

phpJ9b9T6.png

bowlinggreen

n63x44

vickalan

4...N(6,6)

phpIgRaF0.png

xman720

This is really cool, I'm going to follow this for sure. From my own experience, the problem with open play chess is that it's super difficult to checkmate an opponent's king (example: king + two rooks is draw by insufficient material) so the extra material/pieces is really helpful. For clarification, how far away are the hawk/pawns?

Also, I recommend that within the normal 8 x 8 chess board, players use normal chess notation for shorthand and only revert to raw coordinates outside the 8x8 board.

vickalan

Yes, I was worried about the open play. Near the end of the game, if there's not enough pieces to checkmate the opponent, the extra pawns will need to try to promote to get extra queens. (Or someone can try to play those pawns and hawks earlier, but they are far from the action). Hawks are pretty powerful when they fight, but they can only jump up to three squares at the most.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the distance of the hawks and pawns. You can see them near the corners of the diagram. The hawks are 3-files outside and 7 ranks behind the "normal" board. The farthest pawns are 7 ranks behind the normal board, so they have 14 ranks to go to be promoted! This game could last longer than an average chess game!

(when I play, I'm happy to accept normal notation when pieces are in the normal area).

bowlinggreen

n33

vickalan

5...(5,5)

phpIlDpyr.png

bowlinggreen

n44-25

vickalan

6...B(4,7)

php8s348O.png