Forums

Chess960

Sort:
raphs

What is Chess960 and what makes it different from normal online chess?

ADK

chess960 is FischerRandomChess. Bobby Fischer created a chess variant where all of the pieces on the bottom rank are randomized (white and black).

ADK

raphs

oh ok thanks

BananaAl

It looks like this. Well kind of because it could be in any order but you get the idea.

Semester

it is crazy it is so cool

Hurrican3

Gets rid of that boring memorization of openings. Actually a lot fun since a new strategy has to be made depending on where the pieces are placed. I'm glad chess.com decided to add this feature!

raphs

Cool but how do you start a game?

Minishaps

that isnt illegal

u hav 2 hav the king in between the 2 rooks and bishops on different coloured squares

those criteria are met in that board

KillaBeez

Yeah, well Black's position doesn't mirror Whites.  So that can't work. 

rich, the only reason you don't like it is because you can't play the Trompowsky.

Bajoran_Moon

Well I am eager to play it -- just sent out my first Chess960 challenge... can't wait to see how this works.

Bajoran_Moon
rich wrote:

I don't think I'm gonna bother with it, I've heard there are errors and bugs in it.

Well, no harm, no foul... as the saying goes.

My game just began with another newcomer to it... both of us are at 1200 rating in the game, so the ratings will be kept separate from online/correspondence or live chess it seems.... which is good.

I already am having fun with it and its only move #2!

Minishaps

soz

y bad

i was looking @ white!

raphs

Its okay

chessman82
Bajoran_Moon wrote:

Yea I also started a couple of chess960's and I really like it when you can't follow a specific opening for the first 10-20 moves, you have to start thinking right away.

chessman82
Bajoran_Moon wrote:

Yea I also started a couple of chess960's and I really like it when you can't follow a specific opening for the first 10-20 moves, you have to start thinking right away.

BananaAl
Teshuvah wrote:

@Banana

That position you have is illegal, even in chess960. :)

@raphs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

i fixed it now Smile

raphs

cool

chess_cake

I never play Chess960 before. What is the rule for chess960. Is that the same as regular chess rule? How do I castle in chess960?

BananaAl
chess_cake wrote:

I never play Chess960 before. What is the rule for chess960. Is that the same as regular chess rule? How do I castle in chess960?

in chess960 the back rank peices are mixed up

chess_cake

Thanks, so what is the castling rule?