Forums

chess960

Sort:
chess506

Do you know alo of openings? Well, you dont really need to learn an opening in chess960, because you have a 1/960 chance to get in that exact position. I want to have a vote on if you like chess960 better than normal chess. I like chess960 because I dont know any openingsFrown

Younggenuis
chess506 wrote:

Do you know alo of openings? Well, you dont really need to learn an opening in chess960, because you have a 1/960 chance to get in that exact position. I want to have a vote on if you like chess960 better than normal chess. I like chess960 because I dont know any openings

Real chess is way better then chess 960 in real chess you CAN PRACTICE OPENINGS

turkey_12345act

All forms of chess are created equal.

But some are more equal than others.

easyb

I view chess960 as an opportunity to work on my tactical ability, and overall understanding of the game.

Getting away from memorized opening lines is refreshing to me.

slack

960 is simply better than regular chess, in my opinion. There is no disadvantage for being an out-of-book player because there is no book, thank god. All you have at your disposal are the chess principles you learned when you first started playing chess seriously. The initial position must be evaluated for weaknesses from the very first move, and the better player will emerge as the one who was able to create a logical position out of the random placement of pieces.

chess506
Younggenuis wrote:
chess506 wrote:

Do you know alo of openings? Well, you dont really need to learn an opening in chess960, because you have a 1/960 chance to get in that exact position. I want to have a vote on if you like chess960 better than normal chess. I like chess960 because I dont know any openings

Real chess is way better then chess 960 in real chess you CAN PRACTICE OPENINGS

This is your first member point?!

chess506

i vote on ches960 because

1. I dont have to learn any openings

2. I can attack better

3. I can focus on weak squares and checkmate like a leak in the boat and the water sinks the boat

fuze22

In playing chess 960 you can discover how much you really know about the opening, not just the moves you can remember. And someone said that standard chess is better because you can practice the openings. Well, you can practice the opening in 960 as well. The difference is you have to have an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish rather then making moves you may or may not fully understand the reasoning of. People seam to think that the opening is less important in 960, but it is equally important just not as well understood.

Scarblac

I like normal chess a lot better.

Chess strength is based on pattern recognition - given a certain type of position, strong players know better what good plans are in that position, and what typical tactics are. That all disappears in Chess960.

It's like throwing the baby (the few moves of memorization most people do) out with the bath water (the knowledge of chess we've all built up).

From about move 15-20 onwards, chess960 starts to resemble chess, and becomes much more enjoyable.

Of course, I don't need to play it and can just continue playing normal chess. Yay :-)

chess506

We should always try new things

Rolo57

I like chess 960 better because you dont have to study openings and i don't get beaten up in the openings because there are none. (Im not that good of a player anyways)

jchurch5566

Hi guys,

Chess 960 is an exciting variation of standard Chess.  It is widely accepted in the Chess community.  It even has a world champion.  Many Grandmaster's take it seriously.  If you haven't played it, you should try it.  I like it, I think you will too.

Watch your backrank.

Sharkboy2021