Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
squareofthepawn

V4 will jump v3, much as Windows 10 will jump 9, then online chess will have a new name, but nobody will care. 

DrSpudnik

That must be a V3 thing then, because my stats still reference "Online" and I won't deal with V3 until I absolutely have to (when the site is confident enough in it not being a bunch of bugs to make it the one version of the site that exists).

DrSpudnik

In four years, we kind of forgot there was one.

Ziryab
Ziryab wrote:

The term correspondence chess won the poll.

motherinlaw

So much for polls.

Ziryab
erik wrote:

When we started Chess.com 5 years ago, we had only one kind of chess to play. At first we called it email chess. Then shortened it to "echess". Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

Anyway, we're stuck with this problem where we have "Live Chess" and .... the other kind. Turn-based, correspondence... there are lots of old-school names for it. But they all fail for one reason or another and Chess.com has had an impossible time trying to rename "Online Chess". 

So... what do YOU think it should be called? Debate it here in this forum, and make sure to answer the survey!

Click here to vote on the name! 

Perhaps, this website will acknowledge correspondence chess, instead of all these other silly names, by the time it enters its fifteenth year.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2015/06/applied-study.html 

baddogno

No, Erik doesn't think that's "snappy" enough...LOL.  Years later it still annoys me too, Ziryab.

Ziryab

Ziryab

Still calling it by any name but the right one.

Unikat-Automat

Just CC - classic chess

Woollensock2
What about “ Chess.com “ 🤷‍♂️
veryrabbit

I'm coming from the future Erik, listen to me and take notes.

"Live Chess" make this name patented, it will be popular happy.png

Carlsen will be world champion next year. Be nice to him..  (Cheers to 2012 grin.png)

Ziryab
erik wrote:

i know that... but it's such a long and awkward word. plus, i'd say only 10% of our users would know what that means (there are a lot of casual players on the site)

Has it ever occurred to you that your job description, as owner of this site, includes educating people? A lot of problems are solved when things are called by their proper names. If you called correspondence chess by its name, it would be a lot easier to deal with the endlessly nauseating threads about “cheating” when newbs learn their opponent uses the analysis board or opening explorer. Or, even worse, knows enough about correspondence chess that they have their own databases.  

motherinlaw
Ziryab wrote:
erik wrote:

i know that... but it's such a long and awkward word. plus, i'd say only 10% of our users would know what that means (there are a lot of casual players on the site)

Dear Erik,  Perhaps I'm off-base in even asking you this, but when you think of "Casual Players," do you ever think of me?  (I hope so!)   In all modesty, I believe I do deserve inclusion in this category, since, despite my longtime membership, my skills in the game itself have shown virtually no significant improvement whatsoever.  However, I continue to be a loyal member, and I do have strong opinions about the site!  As for the debate about whether to call it "Online Chess" or "Correspondence Chess" or "Whenever-You-Happen-to-Find-Yourself-in-the-Mood-for-Chess Chess," I am, alas, a deeply casual player.  So, thank you so much for creating a player category into which I can so proudly fit.  -- Yours truly, MIL