Forums

Playing Family Members on Chess.com

ParadiseDestroyed

Are there people on Chess.com who play on this site against other family members?

Do you enjoy playing family members? Is it competitive or friendly play? How does the family member take it when you win or lose?

Does playing Chess with family member help build a closer relationship? Has it ever ruined a family relationship? (I hope not!)

Is the game different when playing against family members as opposed to strangers?

erik

i LOVE playing family members

ozzie_c_cobblepot

It must be awfully interesting for the family and for the site's complex advanced fraud detection models when two members of the same family use the same computer to play against each other

munchkin

I don't play family but I have played friends and a few of my friends on here have played from one of my computers. Once I was playing a friend and we were both playing from my living room so the advanced fraud protection must be set to take that into account I don't do that anymore though because we both realized how silly it was to play each other online when we were in the same room and just pulled out an actual chess board.

MommaTo4Brats

ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

It must be awfully interesting for the family and for the site's complex advanced fraud detection models when two members of the same family use the same computer to play against each other.


But this is so not true, we have 4 of us all on our own laptops in the same house who are ALL premium members we all play one another and i am constantly getting my butt kicked by them, but we are all on the same ISP and all have seperate laptops  so is that considered cheating?

erik

it doesn't matter if you are playing each other. the only problem is when people are throwing games intentionally.

MommaTo4Brats

erik wrote:

it doesn't matter if you are playing each other. the only problem is when people are throwing games intentionally.


Ahh OK  Nope trust me  noone lets me win and I try so hard to beat them    There isnt no cheating trust me   I couldnt even win if they let me LOL

chessplooge

My dad and I have played something around 10 games now on this website.  It's a great activity for us cause we both love it, and don't get to see each other very often cause I'm away at college.

spice

ParadiseDestroyed wrote:

Are there people on Chess.com who play on this site against other family members?

Do you enjoy playing family members? Is it competitive or friendly play? How does the family member take it when you win or lose?

Does playing Chess with family member help build a closer relationship? Has it ever ruined a family relationship? (I hope not!)

Is the game different when playing against family members as opposed to strangers?

 


 I've played the most games against my brother "oldmetrodome".  We're both competitive and friendly at the same time.  I probably try my hardest against him.   Playing on this site has made our relationship closer since we're about 2000 miles apart.  We get to chat a lot more and I can tell how things are going with him based on how he's doing with his games. 

lukeyboy_xx

well i play aginst my cousin quite a bit on chess.com and hes beaten me 7 times and i've beaten him twice =[

artfizz

Roll on the first chess.com wedding:

"I met my darling through chess.com - but unfortunately my wife found out."

-BEaNZ-

artfizz wrote:

Roll on the first chess.com wedding:

"I met my darling through chess.com - but unfortunately my wife found out."


Funny story... Me and my friend/neighbor (whom I'm sure many of you know, so I won't mention his name) were hanging out the other night, and he was showing me this girl he met on chess.com and was now talking to on Myspace. I was joking the whole night, "Oh yeah, we uh met on chess.com..." Just the way I was saying it, like a freaking EHarmony commercial, was priceless. 

ADK
ParadiseDestroyed wrote:

Are there people on Chess.com who play on this site against other family members?

Do you enjoy playing family members? Is it competitive or friendly play? How does the family member take it when you win or lose?

Does playing Chess with family member help build a closer relationship? Has it ever ruined a family relationship? (I hope not!)

Is the game different when playing against family members as opposed to strangers?

 


1. I play my brother occasionally.

2. Competitive.

3. It hasn't affected it, yet. : D

4. Completely different...

ADK

jswilkmd

My brother and I played often when we were growing up, but we've lived far away from each other for 20 years or so.  If it weren't for chess.com, we'd never have the chance to play each other.  It's a fun rivalry and something we enjoy.  It keeps us talking to each other, too, which is an added benefit.

littleman
ParadiseDestroyed wrote:

Are there people on Chess.com who play on this site against other family members?

Do you enjoy playing family members? Is it competitive or friendly play? How does the family member take it when you win or lose?

Does playing Chess with family member help build a closer relationship? Has it ever ruined a family relationship? (I hope not!)

Is the game different when playing against family members as opposed to strangers?

 


Yes i have some family here. My sister, Father and sometimes my brother. I have played them all and won everytime i do. Because i am a lot better then them since i use to play a lot of OTB tournaments and studied more.

It doesnt effect our relationship at all. No it dont matter who u r im still going to try and beat u if not crush u family or not. But i normally play unrated against my family these days....Cool

artfizz
erik wrote: :D i LOVE playing family members ;)

Your kids look too young to give you serious competition. Why not pick on someone your own size?  Wink

Dozy

i've played a few games against my daughter on here, though only when we've entered the same tournaments.

both of us try to win and the games are pretty much like playing against anybody else except that the banter is a lot more threatening!

one of the things i find interesting about it is that, although we live only about 30 kms apart, we're talking and playing through a computer located on the far side of the pacific.

ParadiseDestroyed
artfizz wrote:
erik wrote: :D i LOVE playing family members ;)

Your kids look too young to give you serious competition. Why not pick on someone your own size?  

 

He does play with someone his own size. He plays chess with me.

Dozy

If you're talking to me, Paradise, my kids are older than you.

bluejibb

i dont