Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
AnnaZC
snakesbelly wrote:

OK,got it you take every third letter of each word and connect them then you reshuffle until you get a word that makes sense eg. The last sentence read : by Kali,Anand sucks,his play is as exciting as a dead lark,now he is drawing in the blitz,I wish I was Russian

you are original

ElKitch

Ive said it before.. they should be playing Economy Chess. The games would last much longer, and the wins would be much harder fought for. Also I believe that draws will not, or hardly ever, occur.

Besides that the games are pretty much the same as normal chess. So no massive changes in the game as we know it.

StevenBailey13

Let's just hope we see see Anand-Carlsen soon...

netzach

Congratulations to Viswanathan Anand & India on retaining title !

Thanks to trysts et al. for entertaining thread with never a dull moment. Hindi-twist at end caused me amusement !! Smile

AlexBeale

They both played the best that they could.

Aditya_Deshpande8
CerebralAssassin wrote:

damn...missed the action oh well...congrats to Vishy although it wasn't the most exciting match it had it's moments

same here man...i too missed the action :(

dashkee94

Congratulations to WCC Anand for retaining his title and to India for keeping the crown for a few more years.  Regardless of the complaints about the match (and I have made more than a few), Anand earned the title he defended, and Gelfand earned the right to be the challenger.  I think it was the brevity of the match more than anything else that produced such caution on the part of the players, but under these conditions, I think they played the best they could.

Thanks to trysts for such an entertaining thread--at times, I think the thread was more entertaining than the match itself.  And thanks to everybody who posted in it--you guys are a creative, imaginative group with a wicked sense of humor.  Thanks for the laughs.  Hopefully, we will all be here for the next WCC match, when everybody not playing in the match can tell those who are playing in it what they are doing wrong--I sure will!

Charlotte

it was great to be involved with this thread during the match, and thanks to Sharon for getting up early alot and running the show! it will be interesting to see how many of us all are still around for the next title match, when i hope we can do it all again. for my two cents, i think these matches need to be at about 25 games in all, it was amazing today for me just to see how brilliant both players really are, it didn't really show itself to me in the classical stuff, but i'm just a patzer. well played to Anand.

fluidwill

3 pts for a win? That's what they did in Football (soccer) when it got too drawish

Hahnda

This was my first WCC, and I followed it online as much as I could. I woke up early and watched the last three blitz matches. I was very entertained by them. Especially I think it was match 3 around move #30 when Gelfand had his queen on g3 and Anand was surrounded by his rook and queen wall (that was so cool, a King truly in the safety of his castle with his queen at his side and the knight guarding the gate). But it looked like Anand was on the ropes and he somehow it turned into a draw by marching his knight into battle on f4 to draw the enemy away...anyhow, I don't have much in the way of chess talent but I was bug-eyed and calling Anand a magician for that masterful defence to get the draw. I was so happy to be watching it live via internet stream.

I don't care to make comments on blunders because no one is perfect, even the best chess players now and through out history lose games either by making mistakes or being outplayed. Both player were playing to win the tournament, its a war not just a single battle, so you have to take the wins, losses and draws as they come and prepare for the possibility of it going to the very last tie break game. I'm sure a boring win is much more satisfying than an exciting loss. And I'm definitely sure Mr. Gelfand would love to have traded places with Anand and be the Champion.

In conclusion, when it comes to winning, they don't ask how, they ask how many!

P.S. I'm looking forward  to the Tal Memorial coming next week I believe...yay for chess!!!

viche83

@ fluidwill

that doesn't work though with only two parts involved.

jesterville

wow... this was such a great experience, following The 2012 WCC and at the same time sharing your views here (positive or negative / balanced or biased, it's all good stuff). I think we got a good mix of learning and entertainment...especially those bar fights we had to break-up Laughing.

...so let's make an effort to return here for the next WCC when Anand will face ?????? well we don't know yet, but stay tuned folks...

AlexBeale

They both were doing what they thought would win the match. 

corrijean

I am a patzer, too, and often don't feel qualified to post my views of a position. But I did enjoy following it. Thanks, Sharon.

jesterville

Hi "corrijean", we are all "patzers" compared to someone else. Don't let your chess skill level prevent you from sharing your opinions on any chess position...it is all part of the learning curve. One does not have to be "pro skilled" to talk about football, cricket, basketball, or even the weather...so why should it be any different for chess. And don't allow yourself to be bullied otherwise.

corrijean
jesterville wrote:

Hi "corrijean", we are all "patzers" compared to someone else. Don't let your chess skill level prevent you from sharing your opinions on any chess position...it is all part of the learning curve. One does not have to be "pro skilled" to talk about football, cricket, basketball, or even the weather...so why should it be any different for chess. And don't allow yourself to be bullied otherwise.

Thanks, jesterville. Good point.

fabelhaft

Kasparov allegedly meant that the match in itself was disappointing, but that the tiebreak was below criticism. He said that the decisive game was an endgame that it is impossible to lose (and mentioned his own knowing how easily it was drawn already when he was 16 and playing it against Geller):

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1049968

Of course it isn't easier with little time on the clock and I don't think Kasparov makes himself more popular among the players with his statements, even if they aren't confirmed by himself but just referred to in another thread:

http://www.chess.com/article/view/anand-gelfand-psychology?page=2

On the third tiebreak game Kasparov pointed out that 26. Nxe4 just wins a piece and the game (fxe4 27. dxe5 Qxe5 28. Rxb8), and also that Gelfand failed to win an absolutely won endgame, as GM Milos also points out at Chessbase where he calls Gelfand's 61st "an incredible mistake". But Gelfand played slightly slower and got into time trouble, and that's also part of the game.

Even if Kasparov may be too harsh on the players I agree with his saying that Anand played splendidly against Kramnik in 2008, so-so against Topalov in 2010, and now on a clearly lower level. It will be interesting to see how he will play in Bazna next month, where he will face several strong opponents, for example Carlsen, Radjabov, Karjakin and Ivanchuk.

Michael-G

Kasparov couldn't care less if he makes himself popular.What he said is absolutely true.Gelfand lost an endgame that no challenger of the title should lose.That is the truth.

Unfortunately Gelfands  2 defeats was an endgame that shouldn't be lost and a move that shouldn't be missed.Gelfand also lost a simple tactic with which he could won a piece.

Although I like him a lot his averall performance was hardly that of a Candidate of the World Title.I think either Kramnik , Aronian or Carlsen would be champions against that Anand.

We say that luck doesn't exist in chess but frankly there hasn't been another world champion that won a world championship without actually doing nothing.Anand's game was uncreative and uninspired.Even his novelties were like they were OTB discoveries rather than well -prepared moves of a player that was always excellently prepared.

A dissapointing match and a dissapointing world champion.Anand certainly  lost a lot of fans with this match.

AlexBeale

The person who is the world champion is not always the strongest player in the world.

Michael-G

No one doubted Kasparov, Karpov, Fischer, Spassky, Tal , Petrosian , Smyslov(and the others) when they won the title.