Forums

2800 in Puzzles. Making a comeback.

Sort:
BigFoxy90

Well, it took a while to do it, but I finally hit 2800 in my puzzle rating. Mostly I find a lot of the puzzles and their solutions to be quite ridiculous, but I I figure this new milestone indicates I am improving tactically, even if only slightly. 

After a brutal tilt that saw me fall from my new peak at 1600 all the way back to where my last big tilt ended, I just lost all motivation and quit playing for a while. I've only been studying the openings I can recall seeing frequently ( Queen's Gambit, London, Scotch, Ruy Lopez, Italian, etc.) and trying to create drills out of certain lines or ideas. I started playing again on the other site and I am definitely rusty. But I am going to approach analyses of games more objectively with the intent to learn from my mistakes and hold myself accountable for them. Time to get back to the grind. Hopefully here soon in the coming days. 

Best vibes as always! 

Soufriere

Sounds like you have a plan for improving your game. Best of luck!

Chuck639

You’re not alone.

Im taking a break from serious chess for the rest of the year.

DoyleHargraves
Great job, Thane! 👍🏻
Terminated800

Nice! I got bored and quit puzzles after I reached 2800

ChrisZifo

I like your positivity! Need more people like you on this site

Brzoza6457

Good job 👍

sleepyzenith

congrats

ShrekChess69420

That's very impressive! To put that in perspective, I'm only around 3000 rating in puzzles even though I'm a 2000 rated rapid player. My suggestion to you is something I think a lot of other intermediate players should do: start learning positional play more. Tactics will definitely help you, but now that you're an intermediate player, I would recommend learning more positional play. My tactics have stopped increasing as rapidly, but my positional play is decent and is only improving. I think it's the combination of tactics and positional play setting up tactics that will get you to an advanced level.

ChessMasteryOfficial

Good job happy.png

lfPatriotGames
Terminated800 wrote:

Nice! I got bored and quit puzzles after I reached 2800

I did the same thing when I reached 3300. I didn't do any for about 3 months. Just started again and instantly went down about 60 points.

BearWithFists
If you lose 2 games in a row I suggest taking a Break, that’s what I do and it works for me
RideZen2

Cool! 🙂♟️

chrislamuk

What does the puzzle rating actually mean? On the leaderboard there are people with scores of over 65,000!!

Imath_Ahamed

I want it

creatonistus

Think I got up to around 2800 on puzzles on previous account then burnt out as it wasn't fun anymore. Trudging back from low elo with this new account and very much enjoying the games, win or lose as Im throwing curvballs in and not worrying about my elo. Puzzles and games lost their enjoyment for me when I was aspiring for more eventually.... Was hundreds of hours before burning out though 😬😄

ChrisZifo
chrislamuk wrote:

What does the puzzle rating actually mean? On the leaderboard there are people with scores of over 65,000!!

yeah, there is some truth in that. But if you are increasing it does mean you are doing something right and practicing well. It can sharpen the tactical side of the game, but not the strategic side or the openings

FforEffort

Congratulations! Happy for you.