whatever happened to.....

  • #1

    I was watching a vintage episode of Star Trek (the first ones with William Shatner) and he and Spock were playing 3-D chess.  Whatever happened to 3-D chess?? Did it just disappear? Do the Klingons play it?

  • #2

    "The future ain't what it used to be."

                                            Yogi Berra

  • #3

    lol yes .. I don't know why it keeps changing every day..

  • #4

    Maybe we should start a campaign to bring it back. How was it played anyway?  I know three boards were involved.

  • #5

    really? I always thought it was one board spread into several dimensions ...

    they play it in Big Bang Theory and you can buy that game for instance from ebay.

    I once tried an online 3d chess program but it was freeware and had some virusses ...

  • #6

    Wait a minute!? Doesn't the idea of 3-D chess presuppose that traditional chess is 2-D, two dimensional? If that's the case, then we should be able to imagine 1-D chess, one dimensional chess. But what would that be? Just a king, sitting by himself in an infinite void of nothingness? Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'd better consult Dr. Cooper about this...... I believe one of his degrees is in dimensionology.

  • #7

    1-D chess would be all the pieces in a line.

  • #8

    You can look it up online.  I think they may sell boards too.  A friend of mine made one and we played.  The rules on the site he found had the satellite boards for black starting too far forward (they didn't think it completely through).  I suspect in star trek you could see the same problem.  It looks nicer in a picture though if all the satellite boards are on top of the main boards, but for one player they should start hanging from the bottom.

     

    Feanor73 wrote:

    1-D chess would be all the pieces in a line.

    Not quite Tongue Out

  • #9

    No, wait...... I think Feanor73 is right. One dimensional chess would be played in a line. It would have to be a file, so as to include pieces from both sides, and of course it would be the e-file, to include the kings. Something like this, with files 'a' through 'd' and 'f' through 'h' not existing:

  • #10

    I read that in Star Trek they didn't even consider the rules, and therefore the board arrangement changes from episode to episode, as well as from scene to scene.

  • #11
    melvinbluestone wrote:

    Wait a minute!? Doesn't the idea of 3-D chess presuppose that traditional chess is 2-D, two dimensional? If that's the case, then we should be able to imagine 1-D chess, one dimensional chess. But what would that be? Just a king, sitting by himself in an infinite void of nothingness? Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'd better consult Dr. Cooper about this...... I believe one of his degrees is in dimensionology.

    One Dimension ? ... Speak to a Mr/s. A. Line of Flatland.

  • #12
    waffllemaster wrote:
    Feanor73 wrote:

    1-D chess would be all the pieces in a line.

    Not quite

    You can't just say 'not quite' and leave it at that! I mean sure the pieces would be 'dots' but what he said was still correct in terms of 3d representations of 1d versions. 

    Right? 

  • #13
    melvinbluestone wrote:

    No, wait...... I think Feanor73 is right. One dimensional chess would be played in a line. It would have to be a file, so as to include pieces from both sides, and of course it would be the e-file, to include the kings. Something like this, with files 'a' through 'd' and 'f' through 'h' not existing:

     

    Nah, it could be done. You just split up the infinite line into 8 different sections with eight points and pretend that all the 'sections' are next to each other. So a Queen moving from one corner to another would jump all eight sections of the line. 

  • #14
    Morris_W3 wrote:

    I was watching a vintage episode of Star Trek (the first ones with William Shatner) and he and Spock were playing 3-D chess.  Whatever happened to 3-D chess?? Did it just disappear? Do the Klingons play it?

    I was watching those on a Friday night on CWN8 in Bathurst, NSW, Australia. Earth. The Solar System, etc etc...
    A lifetime or two ago.
    The scheduling was fortuitous because on a Friday night, Dad would be at the Trots (Horses) and not around to point out that "A spaceship wouldn't 'bank' like a bloody aeroplane!" 
    A role now mine.

    plus ca change... 

Top
or Join

Online Now