Forums

Which is harder: Playing a chess master or solving a rubik's cube

Sort:
blake78613
twoawesomepeople123 wrote:

who are in that picture, AndyClifton?

Don't think Anita got her kicks that night.

AndyClifton

Yep.  No fun to be in America...

ClavierCavalier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VULCDqIlH0Q

kamileon
nate23 wrote:

playing a master, but you can't master the rubix cube in a day, it takes about a week.

Yes you can master a rubix cube in a day. A day being 24 hrs. I spent about 3-4 hours a day for three days b4 i could solve the cube from any random position. I use the layer method or beginners algorithms, e g, start with white centre square, then solve the white cross, then the corners and then the second layer...etc. i taught my eldest daughter and son to solve it in about the same time. So it can be done in one day if you really wanted to. btw my fastest time is 56 seconds, I know there are times like 10 secs and the like but not bad from just over eight minutes the first couple of times.

kamileon
nate23 wrote:

Yeah you just have to memorize the patterns written on the first page. Actually, your hands memorize the patterns, your mind forgets them. Once again, you CAN'T figure it out in one day! It takes at least a week

You can figure it out and master a rubix cube it in a day, it will take a lot of concerntration and diligence, but it can be done. It doesnt have to take such a long time as a week. 

kamileon
Akatsuki64 wrote:

I can solve the cube in under a minute. It is not even near as difficult as it seems, and is actually very simple once you understand the concepts and can apply the algorithms.

Awesome!! My fastest is 56 secs!! 

kamileon
browni3141 wrote:

Solving a Rubik's cube is easy. I can do it in less than five minutes just about every time. Playing a chess master is easier though, since you don't really have to devote any effort to play chess.

Which of these is harder:

1. Solving a Rubik's cube blindfold

2. Beating a chess master blindfold

Browni3141 , you havent seen nothing yet, you will beat one minute in no time. I learned the rubix in about 16 hrs and mastered it, but i was doing times like 7 mins, 8 mins and such. But after a week I started breaking 6 mins, then 5 mins, then 2 mins. i will solve on average about 1 and a half mins, but my fastest time is 56 secs. Keep going and you will too. the higher powers at be say that if you can average about a minute for each solve its time to hit the more advanced algorithms. this is no mean feat. i solve using the 7 algorithm method ( probably the same as you do, you know the cross then the corners then the second layer...etc) you have to learn a further 15-20 more algorithyms...ouch! I think i must just stick to the 7 solve method... Keep at it bud!

MaartenSmit

Depends on your definition of 'mastering' the Rubik's cube... It took me about a year from when I started to drop to 20 seconds, and another year later I averaged around 13. Now, 2 years after that, I'm around 10-11 seconds and I stopped improving.

Going by percentages, I would guess masters total to about 0.1% of all (serious) chess players. 0.1% of the limited 20000-people community, well... You would have to average under 9 seconds to have 'mastered' the Rubik's cube. 

In any case, I can assure you that it's easier and less time-consuming to get fast at speedcubing than to become able to beat a FM in chess.

kamileon
transpo wrote:
koala8 wrote:

which do you think is harder? Facing a chess master (like Bobby Fisher, Kasparov, Karpov, etc) or facing the eight wonder of the world, the rubik's cube.

Solving the Rubik's cube is easy.  There is at least one video on youtube that shows you in 2 simple steps to solve it. First step is to turn the left hand side of the cube as you face it one turn counterclockwise.  Step 2 is to turn the top of the cube one turn clockwise.  Repeat the 2 steps in order until the blocks on the face of each side are all the same color.

If you want the website address of the video, please let me know. 

You cant solve the rubiks cube in 2 steps. What your stating is from a solved position and of course if u turn it like that enough times, it will return back to where you started, solved. Solving means from any unsolved random position.

neo-metacrash

Solving the rubiks cube. Can't do it for life.

kamileon
MaartenSmit wrote:

Depends on your definition of 'mastering' the Rubik's cube... It took me about a year from when I started to drop to 20 seconds, and another year later I averaged around 13. Now, 2 years after that, I'm around 10-11 seconds and I stopped improving.

Going by percentages, I would guess masters total to about 0.1% of all (serious) chess players. 0.1% of the limited 20000-people community, well... You would have to average under 9 seconds to have 'mastered' the Rubik's cube. 

In any case, I can assure you that it's easier and less time-consuming to get fast at speedcubing than to become able to beat a FM in chess.

Yes, I meant mastering meaning being able to solve it from any random position. As far as I'm concerned if you can solve with no help, from any random position then you've mastered the rubiks cube. Speed , to me, has nothing to do with mastering anything. If you can solve a problem, have you not mastered it and conquered it?

neo-metacrash

It's just me. I'm not the guy you'd see solving a Rubik's cube all day. Never really tried and won't try to learn.

To show how bad I am, I can't even solve one side. 

AndyClifton

I can throw one pretty far.

kodeeak

Me too

neo-metacrash

Are you guys interested in football? You two seem to be pretty good at throwing random stuff.

AndyClifton

Better doing that than going all Rubik on everybody.

AndyClifton

My cat seemed to like it though:

neo-metacrash

my dog didn't seem to get the hang of it.

AndyClifton

Still, your dog appears to be having the most fun I've ever seen anybody have with that thing.

kodeeak

Lol you guys funny photos any of koalas?