Forums

Worst first move in chess

Sort:
MainframeSupertasker

I intuitively believe that 1.f3 is the worst possible first move. It opens up to Fool's mate also

MARattigan
MainframeSupertasker wrote:

I intuitively believe that 1.f3 is the worst possible first move. It opens up to Fool's mate also

Only if Black moves his e pawn and you carry on in the same vein. OP didn't ask about the second move.

NoahRook
The worst possible first move in chess is to resign
MARattigan
NoahRook wrote:

Can't argue with that.

MARattigan
Fixedthx wrote:

arrive late; DQ

Or don't arrive at all.

eric0022
NoahRook wrote:

Nope; the worst is to paralyse oneself and let the clock run down to zero on move one.

MARattigan
eric0022 wrote:
NoahRook wrote:

Nope; the worst is to paralyse oneself and let the clock run down to zero on move one.

You take your chess too seriously eric0022.  Most people would just pretend to be paralysed.

selrahc1
None are losing for white but some are less aggressive and give black the one move advantage which white could also fight for draw. btw the least aggressive first moves are a3 and h3 because they don’t develop pieces or control the center
ChessBoy513

Definetly 1.f3(though someone managed to beat all GMs and IMs with 1.f3 e5 2.Kf2). By the way, engines are beginners at comparing openings. If everyone relied on engines for openings, the King's Indian and KPs(1.e4) would be out of favor. 

incamei

1,kill your self

Temptest_exe

I think magnus carlsen played that a4 move in one of his games

Temptest_exe

Not kidding

ChessBoy513
CharmedRaptor832님이 썼습니다:

I think magnus carlsen played that a4 move in one of his games

Magnus plays all kind of openings because he's better than others, including the Grob and a4.

GeniusTee

try f3 e5 kf2 f5 g4 qh4+ kg2 bc5 d4 bxd4 e3

Joey9999

Haha

ponz111

The worst first move in chess on a theoretical basis would have to be a move which would result in a win for Black with optimum play by both sides. 

There are a couple of very bad first moves for White on a practical basis.  1. f3  or 1. g4 come to mind.

ponz111

Ender,  the sequence was bad for White but question was about the worst move. Which may be 1.g4

NoahRook
Worst first move is to resign
zmfwy

These are the worst in my opinion 

zmfwy
NoahRook wrote:
Worst first move is to resign

Which is aborting.