Forums

Analysis thread: Part 1

JackRoach

I did part one, because I think it would be fun and instructive to do part 2 and part 3 and etc, if people like this. But... you don't even know what this is!

Basically, I give you a position and 2 moves. You say what you think is the best move, (Maybe if you think a different move is a best move you can state your reasons why you think that is.)

Anyway, I hope this will be productive and instructive and won't fail. But, here's the position:

Black to move. Castle queenside, or kingside?

JackRoach

Don't use engine please.

If you do, I'll just block you.

Anonymous_Dragon

Can we think of any other move instead of castling?

JackRoach

Yes. If you think another move is better, say why you think so and which move it is.

ukrainiandude

queenside probably

JackRoach
ukrainiandude wrote:

queenside probably

Why?

ukrainiandude

and was this a position from one of your games or smth?

Anonymous_Dragon

I will castle Queenside. White has a solid initiative on the KingSide and two semi open files for his rooks. It's gonna be unpleasant to defend if black castles KingSide.

Anonymous_Dragon

Let me think of some other moves now lol

ukrainiandude
JackRoach wrote:
ukrainiandude wrote:

queenside probably

Why?

because it would be hard to defend if you castle kingside, and you cant really attack on the queenside because of the backwards c pawn

little_guinea_pig

Hm... castling kingside and then throwing pawns at the queenside looks attractive, and is what I would likely play in this position. However, I think that with those pawns already on g4 and h3, White's attack will be a lot quicker. For example: 0-0 h4! h6 h5 Bh7 g5! and White's attack is in full swing while Black hasn't even started and now will be forced to defend.

So in this case I'd say castle queenside - if the bishop wasn't on g6, it might be a different story...

JackRoach
ukrainiandude wrote:

and was this a position from one of your games or smth?

Yeah. Looked interesting, so I posted it.

 

If you were wondering, I castled queenside.

Anonymous_Dragon

C5 pawn break or a Nf6 - Ne4 manueover or a Nb6-Nc4 manueover

JackRoach
little_guinea_pig wrote:

Hm... castling kingside and then throwing pawns at the queenside looks attractive, and is what I would likely play in this position. However, I think that with those pawns already on g4 and h3, White's attack will be a lot quicker. For example: 0-0 h4! h6 h5 Bh7 g5! and White's attack is in full swing while Black hasn't even started and now will be forced to defend.

So in this case I'd say castle queenside - if the bishop wasn't on g6, it might be a different story...

That's what I thought as well.

Won't say if that's wrong or right though.

little_guinea_pig
JackRoach wrote:
little_guinea_pig wrote:

Hm... castling kingside and then throwing pawns at the queenside looks attractive, and is what I would likely play in this position. However, I think that with those pawns already on g4 and h3, White's attack will be a lot quicker. For example: 0-0 h4! h6 h5 Bh7 g5! and White's attack is in full swing while Black hasn't even started and now will be forced to defend.

So in this case I'd say castle queenside - if the bishop wasn't on g6, it might be a different story...

That's what I thought as well.

Won't say if that's wrong or right though.

Given you thought of it, it's probably wrong tongue.png

JackRoach
little_guinea_pig wrote:
JackRoach wrote:
little_guinea_pig wrote:

Hm... castling kingside and then throwing pawns at the queenside looks attractive, and is what I would likely play in this position. However, I think that with those pawns already on g4 and h3, White's attack will be a lot quicker. For example: 0-0 h4! h6 h5 Bh7 g5! and White's attack is in full swing while Black hasn't even started and now will be forced to defend.

So in this case I'd say castle queenside - if the bishop wasn't on g6, it might be a different story...

That's what I thought as well.

Won't say if that's wrong or right though.

Given you thought of it, it's probably wrong

-_-

DaBabysBurner

i would play qa5 and then 0-0-0

JackRoach
DaBabysSideTing wrote:

i would play qa5 and then 0-0-0

Why Qa5 though?

DaBabysBurner

oh sorry. To target the a2 pawn. if a3, Bxa3. 0-0-0 because white already is half completed his pawn storm on the kingside

SqueakyCrab
JackRoach wrote:

I did part one, because I think it would be fun and instructive to do part 2 and part 3 and etc, if people like this. But... you don't even know what this is!

 

Basically, I give you a position and 2 moves. You say what you think is the best move, (Maybe if you think a different move is a best move you can state your reasons why you think that is.)

 

 

Anyway, I hope this will be productive and instructive and won't fail. But, here's the position:

Black to move. Castle queenside, or kingside?

I would castle queenside because the pawns on the kingside seem dangerous and I feel like I would be vulnerable to being attacked.