Forums

Chess.com rooked me out of a win (I think)

Sort:
thatsunpossible

So what gives? After 60 moves, the computer declared this game a draw. It certainly is not stalemate, and it is certainly a winnable game. What gives Chess.com? Am I missing something?

bigjmn

maybe you ran out of time, and black had insufficient winning chances

furtiveking

Yep, looks like you ran out of time. Normally, when you run out of time, you lose, but, since the best result black could ever possibly hope for with just a king is a draw, you get off a bit easier with only a draw.

thatsunpossible

But there's no clock when you play the computer. And even if there were, I've had games take much longer than this that were not declared draws.

furtiveking

If you were playing in Live, there often is a clock.

Just because you've had games take longer doesn't mean this game wasn't a shorter game. Be careful of the times on the games you start.

nameno1had

I think you were gypped. If the computer doesn't declare a time control prior to the start of the game, the time control is infinite.

ASD44

LOL I don't know about the time issue, but if that isn't the case it seems like the computer has a bit of an ego. "Yeah this one looks like a draw, I'll just declare that in my database...good match." haha.

nameno1had
ASD44 wrote:

LOL I don't know about the time issue, but if that isn't the case it seems like the computer has a bit of an ego. "Yeah this one looks like a draw, I'll just declare that in my database...good match." haha.

I have a Chessmaster program for my cell phone. If you get into a position that could other result in a draw by repetition, it will do 2 reps, but will go to another line and try for victory.

Maybe Chess.com programmed their's to do it a bit backwards, so it doesn't lose. Though that doesn't make any sense to me considering I used my PS2 Chessmaster program to play Chess.com's program on the 2000+ level and Chess.com's engine lost. That has been a a month or so ago, maybe they changed it.

Shippen

What about 3 fold repetition

90morse

instead of 44....c4 .  ....kc4 wins i think

zborg

42)...Kb4 was an easy win for Black.

No way white could have stopped black's b and c pawns.

Must have been the horizon effect.  So, in the event, you lucked out.  Sorry.