Forums

One of my better played games.

Sort:
ZeroSymbolic7188

Gil-Gandel

No idea why Black wouldn't just play 25. ... Nxc3 though, which leaves him sitting pretty with the exchange and two pawns in his favour (two passed pawns on the a-b files at that).

ZeroSymbolic7188

on 25. ...c3 is defended by rook queen and bishop. What are you on about?

Gil-Gandel

A rook is worth more than a knight, so taking your rook and losing his knight in return leaves him ahead on the deal (the differential, termed "the exchange" is generally worth nearly two pawns). Have you not been playing for very long?

knightofimmortality

Nice discovered check on the queen, although Bc4 the move before would have sealed the queen's fate for sure. I like the checkmate, rarely do we ger double check mate. Gill Gandel is right about his suggestions and nxa6 on move 30 is pretty good for white. Overall, not a bad game at all, we all make mistakes, what was the time limit?

Remellion

After 7...b5, just 14 ply have been made. White has developed all his minors sensibly and holds the centre and the d4-pawn. Black has patzed around and thrown his pawns weakeningly forward. At this point, you should think of actively putting your obvious advantage to work. 8. 0-0 completes development and is a good all-round move. Instead, I'm guessing you wanted to stop 8...b4. First thing to realise: it's not a threat. 8. 0-0 b4 9. Ne4!, centralising your knight, preparing to hop to the hole on c5 and eyeing d6 if black plays 9...e6. Instead, I think you overreacted severely (even 8. a3 is safer if a waste of a tempo) and just flat-out weakened your queenside.

10. a3 was needed to protect the weakened b-pawn. See what happened there? White would still be better, of course, but black has a slightly easier time of it.

16. c3? Why? Your a1-bishop is crying. 16. Qa5 would have been consistent with your previous move, threatening a4.

16...g5? Also insane, weakening his kingside. 17. c4 to start unveiling your a1 sniper would have been nice instead of 17. g4. The 16th-17th moves are quite baffling, really.

19. Bb2 hangs a pawn, 20. c5 gives up the d5 outpost for black and 21. Qc2 is wishful thinking (although it does set up a potential Qg6+ later.) Queen trap is a nice idea, but sadly it fell through this time.

26. Rc3 was quite lost for white. Then black suddenly went mad and almost literally reversed all his queenside advances, not taking the exchange and putting his knight back on a6. 30. Bc4!, 31. Bc4! and 32. Bc4! are all lovely queen-winning moves you missed. Nice discovery on the queen after that, and beautiful double-check-mate.

A problem I infer from the game is that you overreact to aggressive moves and play too passively/weakeningly in response. After getting a nice opening edge in development and the centre (you seem quite capable of that now) you should play more actively to convert that edge, dismissing any phantom threats by your opponent (you have to identify them as phantom first, though!)

Effdeh

Could have mated 2 turns earlier: 39. Rf8+ Rxf8 40. Qxf8#

Other than that, Remellion covered most of the game quite good :)

succenna

b4, g4 I just don't get - weakens pawn structure unnecessary