Forums

Vienna Game between 1300-1400 Players

Sort:
quadrewple

This is probably the most in-depth analysis I have done of a game.  My opponent hung a piece that cost him the game, but I thought the analysis up until that point could be useful to some players in my rating range.  Any errors in my analysis or things I overlooked would be greatly appreciated!

ScienceSquares

13.Rhe1, which encourages Black to castle, would not have been my choice. 13.Bxe5 would pin the Knight to the g7 pawn, and then if 13...O-O (to defend that pawn and anticipate 14.Rhe1) 14.Bxf6 gxf6 15.Rhe1 leaves Black's pawns split and open to attack.

Also 18.Ne4 is probably better than 18.Nd5, since it attacks the c5 pawn. In fact, it's hard to see how this can be defended. Play might continue 18..Ne5 19.Bxe6 Bxe6 20.Nxc5 Nxc4 21.Rde2 (the A-pawn is immune because after 21..Bxa2 22.b3 traps the Bishop and kicks the Knight)

Even simplier might just be 18.Bxe6 Bxe6 19.Bxc5. In fact, that is probably better than either Knight move.

shuttlechess92

why not 9.0-0-0? It's complicated, but the idea of piling on the d6 pawn seems consistent.

keep annotating your games! It'll help you improve - just avoid complimenting yourself with memotional rather than logical comments. So far, you've done a great job of that.

peace out,

shuttlechess92

quadrewple
DevinCamenares wrote:

Also 18.Ne4 is probably better than 18.Nd5, since it attacks the c5 pawn. In fact, it's hard to see how this can be defended. Play might continue 18..Ne5 19.Bxe6 Bxe6 20.Nxc5 Nxc4

Even simplier might just be 18.Bxe6 Bxe6 19.Bxc5. In fact, that is probably better than either Knight move.

Though 20.Nc4 (not Nxc4) would fork my bishop and rook if I took the c pawn with the knight.  I'd have to disagree about 18. Bxe6 being better than the knight moves.  Neither his bishop or corner rook can develop at all until the knight is not on e4 (captured or moved in which case I play Bxc5, winning a pawn and attacking the rook at the same time.  If the e6 knight had some strong outpost or something it'd be different in my mind.  Comparing him being able to develop all his pieces with Bxe6 with bringing another one of my pieces into the action with Ne4, Nd5 and keeping his pieces undeveloped makes it seem like the knight moves are better.

DevinCamenares wrote:

13.Rhe1, which encourages Black to castle, would not have been my choice. 13.Bxe5 would pin the Knight to the g7 pawn, and then if 13...O-O (to defend that pawn and anticipate 14.Rhe1) 14.Bxf6 gxf6 15.Rhe1 leaves Black's pawns split and open to attack.

Good point, I didn't expect him to move his knight away, but taking before Rhe1 does give more options than the alternative, which is never a bad thing.

shuttlechess92 wrote:

why not 9.0-0-0? It's complicated, but the idea of piling on the d6 pawn seems consistent.

Yes, that was probably stronger than what I played.

I appreciate the comments everyone!