Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
Radical_Drift
jaybir wrote:
chessman1504 a écrit :
jaybir wrote:

Here is a sicilian game with 3.Bb5, Tried it and adopted it instead of the way too tactical games of the open Sicilian (for me)

Tactics and dynamism don't fit your style of play? But you've played some astounding tactical games that you've shown in this thread. Eh, I guess you're kind of like Fischer then.

Yeah i have my moments where i can see a good combination but for one good game posted here, i kinda hide ten others where i suffer the whole game ;) . It's not the fact to lose that bothered me but more the feeling that you're not playing the type of positions i would like to.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from there Smile

JCQuinones

Steering clear of too many variations and engaging the reader with the history and principles of the game is my philosophy.

Enjoy and remember, Checkmate!

mrklin
I think my rank of 1038 is pretty accurate really, I'd love to hear feedback on thoughts and lines here.
JCQuinones

Hello @mrklin,

21.Qe5+ followed by the taking of the f pawn would have been better.

27.Qb7+ followed by the rook capture was another tactic to consider.

29...Rcc7 wouldn't prevent a trade off since 30.Rb7 placed three attackers on that square (your rooks and queen) as opposed to two defenders.

42.Qf5+ was the same tactic that you used since the rook was hanging.

Try doing 10-20 puzzles a day to improve your tactical vision.  You don't need to solve them but simply learn the tactics that are involved.  You'll find that the patterns that you see in practice will appear in your games.

You can also visit my blog (JC's Game Blog) where I discuss the history and principles of the game.

Good Luck!

jaybir

Here is a Sicilian game where i am proud to make it last longer than 20 moves, as it often finishes quickly with some tactics. White has a strong initiative but black manages to manouver in the center and activate his pieces enough to extinguish white's attack!

Frainbreeze

@jaybir, nice game!

jaybir
Frainbreeze a écrit :

@jaybir, nice game!

Thanks!

If you notice any ideas on hwo (or if) white could have been more dangerous, please share your ideas!

JCQuinones

Hello @jaybir,

Through transposition you reached the Moscow Variation for the Sicilian Defense.  This variation is intended to avoid theory.  Garry Kasparov used it in his famous online game against The World in 1999 and it was also employed in the final game of the 2013 World Chess Championship between Magnus Carlsen and Vishy Anand.  The main line follows 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 Bb5+ where the reply can be 3...Bd7, ...Nc6 or ...Nd7.  Most common is 3...Bd7, but Anand preferred (just like you) ...Nd7 to keep the game combatative.

StrategicusRex

If you've ever wondered now not to play the King's Indian Defense, take a look at this one.

dchrist

Rook endgame -- not drawn!

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Bc5 5. Be3 Qf6 6. c3 Nge7 7. Qd2 d5! contest the center.

8. Bd3? Nxd4 9. cxd4 Bxd4 10. Nc3 dxe4 11. Bxe4 Bxc3 12. bxc3 creates isolated pawn (12. Qxc3 Qxc3 13. bxc3 would also create an isolated pawn, but white would have fewer pieces to defend his pawn.) 

... c6 13. 0-0 0-0 14. Qc2 Bf5 defends h7 while developing

15. Bd4 Qg6 16. f3? leads to another isolated pawn with the Queens off the board ... Bxe4 17. Qxe4 Qxe4 18. fxe4

... Ng6 19. Rf3 Rfe8 20. Re1 b6 21. Rg3 c5 White's plan is too slow. Black deflects the bishop (long diagonal blocked by c3 pawn) before white can play h4-h5. 

22. Bf2 Ne5 blockades isolated pawn

23. h3? Rad8 24. a4 Rd2 25. Ra1 Nd3 26. Be1 Nxe1 27. Rxe1 Ra2 and the a pawn will fall

28. e5 Rxa4 29. Rge3 Re6 30. Rd1 f6 31. Rd7 Rxe5 32. Red3 Kf8 33. Rc7 Re7 34. Rd8+ Re8 35. Rdd7 Double rooks on 7th rank!

... Ra1+ 36. Kh2 Re5 37. Rf7+ Ke8 38. Rxg7 Kd8 39. Rxh7 f5 40. Rcf7 Black cannot hold the pawn after 41. Rh5 and so must counterattack immediately.

... Ree1 41. Rxf5 Rh1+ 42. Kg3 Rhe1! 43. Rh8+ Kd7 44. Rh6 Ra3 Similarly, White cannot defend the pawn.

45. Rd5+ Ke8 46. Rh7 Rxc3+ 47. Kh2 Re7! 48. Rh6 b5 49. Rdd6 a5 50. Rb6 b4 51. Ra6 Ra3 52. Rab6 b3 53. Rhf6? a4 54. h4 c4 55. Rc3 Ra2 56. Re6 Kd7 58. Re1 Rd2 59. Rb1 a3 60. Rcc1 a2 0-1 http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=81726986

jaybir

@dchrist , white should have taken the draw around move 40. Two rooks on the seventh rank is enough to force you to draw.

You should try post it here with diagramms, try downloading the pgn-file.

AlisonHart

A simple mistake repeated many times by amateurs (myself included): My opponent attempted to avoid my preparation by sacrificing - it amounted to the throwing of a gauntlet "Off book, you cannot checkmate me because I will just take your pawns, expose your king and roll you." But this was totally wrong.  King safety is only secondary to material if the result of the sacrifice leads to checkmate or a serious positional advantage. CALCULATE the END POSITION. Not the intermediary checks - the result of those checks. Sound sacrifices are one of the major differences between intermediate and advanced players. Thanks for reading

Music_or_Misery
Nietsoj

Here is another game. No computer analysis had been used. Comments are appreciated. 

http://www.chess.com/blog/Nietsoj/not-the-cleanest-win

chessmaster102

Bump

TheGreatOogieBoogie
913Glorax12
TheElementalMaster

@Glorax's opponents move 31 annotation

No, because white's king is invururable after the simple Kg2.

913Glorax12

TheGreatOogieBoogie

About 27.Qxd1 being better yes!  31.Ne3 was a really good move.  It threatens the bishop while contoling the sensitive d1 square and also gets the knight to a more active square.