Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
Ben_Dubuque

how bout th edouble exclam move ,does it deserve those

Flangribaz
jetfighter13 wrote:

I dunno.  What's your rating?  At the level of 800-1000 maybe.  Above that it's a simple one move tactic. 

Mm40

For annotated games, consider reading my blog post. I think it's pretty good.

Ben_Dubuque
Flangribaz wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:

I dunno.  What's your rating?  At the level of 800-1000 maybe.  Above that it's a simple one move tactic. 

read the annotations on it

GIex

Here's a game I played today. It was a King Pawn Game: Wayward Queen Attack.

pauix

This is a game I finished today. I was playing the Black side of a quite unorthodox opening that turned into a Traxler-like game:

Flangribaz
jetfighter13 wrote:
Flangribaz wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:

I've already read them.  So? 

Vertwitch

Hello , I share with you this game fully anotated

Intro:

Yesterday I learned about the Bxh7 Greek Sacrifice...I googled a few websites, watched a few games with bxh7,  and I said to myself "I'm going to use it soon."

"Soon" came 24 hours later. Lately my chess is getting better thanks to dpruess lesson of  "Maximum effort".

So, off I went. I played three unrated 1 minute games to warm up and then bang!, an unawared player asking for a 2 minute rated game..."I have this Greek Gift plan I'm gonna use it, if I can..."

Greek Sacrifice here it goes...

Try the Greek Gift Sacrifice Yourself!

Thanks for reading

Comments are always greatly appreciated.

Ben_Dubuque
Flangribaz wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:
Flangribaz wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:

I've already read them.  So? 

consider the implications of said move

stephnlawrnce

Hi Aaron,

Think I'll post a game, how do you get it into the correct format?

Best,

Steve

Pikachulord6

This seems like a pretty good idea. Actually, it reminds me of “Chess Study Hall”, a group that was created recently for the sole purpose of having its members help each other analyze their games for instructional purposes. Group activity has slowed down a bit of late though, as our members seem to be a bit busy lately. It’s not so much the commenting that takes up time, but the posting of a self-annotated game. If you have the time to post a self-annotated game and you’d like input on your game and your annotations, feel free to join. There aren’t as many voices in that forum as there are in this one, but there are a number of members (like myself) who feel more comfortable analyzing games in the group forum (rather than in this one).

By the way, I’m aware of some sort of rule related to groups, but I’m not quite sure of the details. In any event, if the paragraph above is deemed inappropriate in any way, shape, or form, please let me know and I’ll delete my post promptly.

theunderground702

I think people are misunderstanding the term "amateurs". Most of the people posting their games here are beginners who need basic instruction/lessions and shouldn't be playing LIve Chess because it isn't going to help them.

Pikachulord6

@jetfighter13: I haven't actually looked at all of your annotations, but I just wanted to make a bit of a point here. I personally don't like using exclamation points and question marks to denote the strength or weakness of moves. It's a purely subjective matter and depends on who's annotating. What one person thinks is brilliant may be deemed by a stronger player to be obvious (and unworthy of an exclamation point). I generally like to let the annotated comments speak for themselves. For example, when I think that I played a good move, I might annotate it with something like "I really like this move. It does x, y, and z." Then, there's no doubt as to what I think about the move. But if you annotate it as Ne4! (fictitious example), you might interpret it as one thing, but someone else might interpret it differently.

Sorry for the long-winded post. What I'm trying to say is that you have to be careful when you use annotative symbols. Make sure that you back them up with an appropriate comment or you risk confusing readers.

Pikachulord6

@theunderground702: Understanding problems aside, I DO think that the OP was referring to beginners in the first post. As for Live Chess, I would argue that it has some use, if it is at a slow time control. You're right though: Blitz and Bullet games aren't for beginners, and should be played in moderation even by more advanced players.

Ben_Dubuque
Pikachulord6 wrote:

@jetfighter13: I haven't actually looked at all of your annotations, but I just wanted to make a bit of a point here. I personally don't like using exclamation points and question marks to denote the strength or weakness of moves. It's a purely subjective matter and depends on who's annotating. What one person thinks is brilliant may be deemed by a stronger player to be obvious (and unworthy of an exclamation point). I generally like to let the annotated comments speak for themselves. For example, when I think that I played a good move, I might annotate it with something like "I really like this move. It does x, y, and z." Then, there's no doubt as to what I think about the move. But if you annotate it as Ne4! (fictitious example), you might interpret it as one thing, but someone else might interpret it differently.

Sorry for the long-winded post. What I'm trying to say is that you have to be careful when you use annotative symbols. Make sure that you back them up with an appropriate comment or you risk confusing readers.

I normaly do that, but The Nxc7 did deserve it because it set up mate in one from a white up position not a forced mate, because if i was playing like a gm and retreated my bishop, i would not have mated as quickly

Pikachulord6

@jetfighter13: Yes, I can see your justfication for that move, but imagine that you're a master. A move like Nxc7 would still be the best move, there's no doubt about that. But it might not deserve an exclamation point. Instead, a move like retreating a bishop would be given a question mark, or, in some cases, two question marks. Nxc7 is the sort of move that punishes a mistake, and to many people, such a move isn't brilliant - it's obligatory. That said, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use annotative symbols if that's what you feel comfortable doing. At the very least, it shows other people what moves you think are good and bad, and perhaps even more important, it gives other people a chance to correct any misconceptions you may have. For example, if you start annotating a game with 1.f3!, then someone would probably correct you and point you toward more reasonable opening moves like 1.e4, 1.d4, etc.

Ben_Dubuque
Pikachulord6 wrote:

@jetfighter13: Yes, I can see your justfication for that move, but imagine that you're a master. A move like Nxc7 would still be the best move, there's no doubt about that. But it might not deserve an exclamation point. Instead, a move like retreating a bishop would be given a question mark, or, in some cases, two question marks. Nxc7 is the sort of move that punishes a mistake, and to many people, such a move isn't brilliant - it's obligatory. That said, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use annotative symbols if that's what you feel comfortable doing. At the very least, it shows other people what moves you think are good and bad, and perhaps even more important, it gives other people a chance to correct any misconceptions you may have. For example, if you start annotating a game with 1.f3!, then someone would probably correct you and point you toward more reasonable opening moves like 1.e4, 1.d4, etc.

well look at the stats for f3 e5 kf2 (the hammerschlang)50% for white, that is what chess is theoretically broken down to so in essence the theoreticaly perfect opening is the hammerschlang which arises from 1. f3!

Pikachulord6

Lol. Clearly, I made a bad choice of example. You get my point, I hope.

Ben_Dubuque
Pikachulord6 wrote:

Lol. Clearly, I made a bad choice of example. You get my point, I hope.

oh and can someon annotate the game for me, just click the pgn buton and then click the chess board square in the corner of the comment box, click post game, then insert pgn copy and paste, hit enter then make comments on the moves from there you can add info change the design and insert and post the comment thank you

oh and the reason for the quote thin above is just to say i just wanted to say that 1.a3 scores pretty well also

Lucifer99

I was hoping someone would be willing to annote the game I posted last page? I'd really like to get someone elses take on it