Forums

What must black have done to defend?

Sort:
TeraHammer

Especially around move 19, I wonder if black had better to defend his position after me blundering and saccing two pieces for two pawns. Or

Shivsky

21...d5 was the panic-move mistake that did Black in (I'm thinking exf6 for White followed by Rxd5+! looks  more hurtful) .....though this is a very tough position for black to hold ... Kd8 feels safe but after Bh4,  Black is dead.

Maybe c6 first and then run the king out of harms way with Kd8, Kc7? (regardless if White plays Bh4 or opens the center with exf5?)

What was the time control and how much time did black have on the clock here? 

TeraHammer
Shivsky wrote:

21...d5 was the panic-move mistake that did Black in (I'm thinking exf6 for White followed by Rxd5+! looks  more hurtful) .....though this is a very tough position for black to hold ... Kd8 feels safe but after Bh4,  Black is dead.

Maybe c6 first and then run the king out of harms way with Kd8, Kc7? (regardless if White plays Bh4 or opens the center with exf5?)

What was the time control and how much time did black have on the clock here? 

It was a 10 minute game. Black had 5 minutes left, I had about 2 minute near the end. Yeah starting to run with the king would have been a good idea, but the square c7 currently guarded by my bishop, and i would have gained tempi with my rooks attacking the queen. Not sure.

TeraHammer
pfren wrote:

White is probably reading too many thrillers.

17.f5, 17.Nd6+, 17.Nf6+ and probably a few other moves are winning instantly (notice that the a5 knight is hanging to white's queen if Black takes the knight).

17.Bxf7+ loses instead, so it really deserves a fat double question mark, not ?!

19...Nxf5 is quite risky, but a good move. Not as good as 19...Kd8, which gets the Black king out of pin tricks, but still good enough for a large Black advantage. But black had to foresee 21...c5! (which was not played in the game), else he would have problems.

21...d5? is losing easily. White should play 23.Qh5+ and win shortly after, but after 23.Raf1? Black has 23...h5! and I can't find a way to any white win.

I still feel white must have a way to get an advantage, but it's not clear anymore- Black has got some play, quite undeservedly.

At move 17, I was already a piece down, and I would have rather not traded off a my good knight at d6 for a bad knight on a5. Though it is good sight to see that the Queen was indirectly attacking a5 indeed, thank you. Interesting stuff happens at knights to 17.Nd6 or 17.Nf7 but I cannot calculate how i would progress after black's king goes to f8 for example.

Also thank you for showing me that 23.Qh5 + was necessary first.