Forums

Where did I go wrong?

Sort:
Stormstout

anilku07

in your game you play 20.- Rh6 is mistack good move is bishop 20.- Bc6 i think it will small develop in defence

bye

GM_to_be

I thought you won?

GM_to_be

no?

Stormstout

@sem101 I won because black disconnected after my 26th move. 

@anilku I was playing with the white pieces.

GM_to_be

oops sorry

x-5058622868

Possibly 17. gxf7+. Better might be 17. f5.

Stormstout

I thought I had to play 17.gxf7 or he would play 17...f6 to lock things down. -.-

But of course I still had Bxh6, 17.f5 was probably much better.

vaijer

nice but easy

TetsuoShima
Sunshiny wrote:

Possibly 17. gxf7+. Better might be 17. f5.

i thought so too but i wasnt sure

TheRussianPatzer

17.f5, f6 18.Bxh6, gxf6 19.Qxf6, Bd8 20.Nxc6 and that's like the worst you can do. It's highly possible that there is some attacking continuation I'm  missing which would win outright. Well... maybe 17.f5, Nxd4 and then f6, but to me playing f6 looks a little bit risky. Frankly speaking though, it may be possible for black to take on d4 even after Bxh6... that's something I overlooked. White should get a strong attack by ignoring it and playing Bxg7(threatening Qh6), but black may have Kxg7 and after h6+ the game gets very wild. After Kxg6, white should have Qg2+ and Rxd4 at the very least, so white should be happy. Sorry if I keep making contradictory statements, I'm still thinking about the game while I'm typing XD. Either way, I suspect this wasn't a long game so the moves don't have to be extremely accurate.

x-5058622868

Instead of 20. Nxc6, 20. Rdg1 threatening g7 seems strong. There would be two connected passed pawns backed by rooks.

nameno1had

I probably wouldn't sacrifice the bishop as you did. You didn't seem to get much in the way of compensation. Also, I probably play  26. Rxd6 ....

Stormstout

@The RussianPatzer It was a 10|0 game, some analysis for 17.f5

x-5058622868

Your 17...f6 alternate line is wrong at 22. h8=Q+. Mate in two there.

Same with your 21...Kh8 alternate line.

I'll be editing this as i see mistakes. Also, they're not wrong, but a faster mate is possible.

So instead of 17. f5, 17. Nxc6 first? 

Stormstout

Right, I didn't look for a quicker way after I saw the win, 22.Qh6 is key there but they are winning obviously.  

17.Nxc6 before f5 makes a lot of sense, also taking the queen off 7th rank could prove useful.

kapabl

After Black plays exf5, White has 19. Nd5.  Black has to waste a move with the queen continuing to defend c6. Now Nxc6 Qxc6, and the rook has to defend the king and the B at e7.  (At the right time Nxe7 will attack the Q at c6.)  Black is perhaps more vulnerable now, and the sacrifice at h6 may work better. 

Stormstout
kapabl wrote:

After Black plays exf5, White has 19. Nd5.  Black has to waste a move with the queen continuing to defend c6. Now Nxc6 Qxc6, and the rook has to defend the king and the B at e7.  At the right time Nxe7 will attack the Q at c6.  Black is perhaps more vulnerable now, and the sacrifice may work better. 

Very nice idea. I don't have time to analyze now but I'll look into it soon.

Stormstout

Some nice lines come out of 19.Nd5, refutation to this line?