Forums

Any others with high IQ suck at chess.

Sort:
Meadmaker
e4nf3 wrote:

Meady: I talk to players and to potential players

No, I have no contempt for tournament players. Show me where I indicated that. Liar.

I will tell you my hypothesis. Sure you want to hear it?

OK, then...someone your age who can't bust out of 1,000, won't put any time and effort toward improvement, yet is a tournament director of mostly young boys and who likes to hand out gifts (as you've stated)...

When I was young and played chess, there was a guy like you always hanging around, handing out gifts, wanted me to spend the weekend at his place.

You are starting to sound scary, dude.

Uhh...I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm a tournament player.  Yes, I spend more time and effort as a TD than as a player, but I do play in tournaments.

And where on Earth did you get the stuff about most of the people at my tournament being young boys?  I certainly didn't say it.  And the gift thing?

I hope your tongue was firmly in cheek during the above response.

Not that it matters, but  my tournaments usually feature about 1/3 children and about 2/3 adults. 

I don't know what you are like in person, so I'm just going by what you say here.  My guess is that faced with a real, live, human being you would probably make some more valid inferences about them than is possible on the web, so perhaps you would be the absolute model of grace toward those players who were less motivated and/or talented than yourself.  It is possible that the contempt you express would vanish when faced with real people or you would at least hide it well, which is almost as good.

Not everyone, though, does that.  I have been confronted with that sort of contempt at tournaments, directed at me or at some of my fellow long term patzers.  It's very unfortunate, and it's one of those things that drives people away from Chess.

Meadmaker

e4 wrote,

"My only contempt is for people who play in a lazy, haphazard manner and have absolutely no desire to study, work hard and improve."

and

"I have no contempt for tournament players."

The two sets described are not mutually exclusive. 

e4nf3
Meadmaker wrote:

e4 wrote,

"My only contempt is for people who play in a lazy, haphazard manner and have absolutely no desire to study, work hard and improve."

and

"I have no contempt for tournament players."

The two sets described are not mutually exclusive. 

You are just twisting what I said. I've never even been talking about tournament players. You do that.

You are a guy having trouble breaking 1,000 and are a TD with a lot of kids, for whom you like to hand out prizes. That's what you've said.

When I played chess, at age 15, I knew a guy exactly as you've delineated yourself. He even wanted me to come over to his place to spend the night, which I didn't.

I have no interest in kids and tournaments and have never made a comment...anywhere in these posts.

You, however, have quite well defined yourself in this regard.

Scottrf

The lady doth protest too much.

Meadmaker
[COMMENT DELETED]
Meadmaker

x

AlCzervik

mmmmmm, pancackes!

I hope that I can navigate the fork from the plate to my mouth with my limited spatial abilites.

AlCzervik

Now that is difficult! That may be due to my limited visual abilities.

Meadmaker

One last edit.  (Some of you may have seen previous versions of this post.)

It's obvious that there isn't a lot of interest in this topic, and it's equally obvious that whatever interest there is will be squashed by people who shout it down. Oh, well.  There is a certain point that you just have to throw in the towel.

Enjoy your pancakes, fellas.

AndyClifton
blakewalk wrote:

Any links to the study examining the relationship between IQ and chess skill ? I would expect there to be at least a weak positive loglinear correlation. 

Hm, looks like we just established one...

AndyClifton
AnthonyCG wrote:

All I see is some dope that can't cope with the fact that his supposedly high IQ doesn't entitle him to be proficient at everything he tries. 

This is unprecedented!

waffllemaster
Meadmaker wrote:

One last edit.  (Some of you may have seen previous versions of this post.)

It's obvious that there isn't a lot of interest in this topic, and it's equally obvious that whatever interest there is will be squashed by people who shout it down. Oh, well.  There is a certain point that you just have to throw in the towel.

Enjoy your pancakes, fellas.

A real pitty, it was such a unique gem of a thread too.

e4nf3
[COMMENT DELETED]
e4nf3

Tut...tut, now...seems as though a nerve has been struck and, perhaps, the shoe fits.

ErwinSachs

Great Vid by Smirnov......havn't seen it, but it's a valuable lesson.

Cheers.....

This forum topic has been locked