Forums

Any others with high IQ suck at chess.

Sort:
bolshevikhellraiser

Top level old men are very uncommon. How many old men made it to be world champion? I can only think of Steinitz and Alekhine.

Meadmaker

The model says that Chess improvement requires large amounts of information be committed to long term memory.  If that model is correct, then Chess improvement, especially for people with no previous Chess history, would be slower among older players.

That doesn't mean that anyone is too old to improve.  It just means that older players would have to work harder for the same level of improvement.

And of course, the model hasn't been confirmed.  It was good enough for one guy to get a PhD, but that's hardly the same thing as being the consensus of the scientific community.

The_Gavinator

Lol are you really complaining about your 1800+ rating? Most people on here are U1400, for some reason this site doesn't have a very strong playerbase (like myself). I do decent on here, then I go to chesscube and lose the majority of my games. Don't complain about your rating, you are better than most people on here.

cabadenwurt
[COMMENT DELETED]
kgwkyle

Is this even on subject anymore? lol

The_Gavinator

Idk, I was replying to OP, I thought that's the point of forums...

e4nf3
bolshevikhellraiser wrote:

Top level old men are very uncommon. How many old men made it to be world champion? I can only think of Steinitz and Alekhine.

I can't recall any octogenarian world champs. But, that's not what we are talking about.

There are guys blaming old age (40?, 50? 61?...yeah, especially him) on their not being able to break 1200. See?

e4nf3

I caught that, cabby. Nice try.

I knew I'd bait you out of your Jack-in-the-box.

Glad you are enjoying your lurking. (lol)

e4nf3
The_Gavinator wrote:

Idk, I was replying to OP, I thought that's the point of forums...

Yeah, the OP really has a problem. Only 1800+ at bullet. What a wuss. Wink

***Most people on here are U1400, for some reason this site doesn't have a very strong playerbase (like myself). ***

Like yourself? Arf...arf!

The_Gavinator

Umm yeah I'm not a very good chess player I'll admit it. My USCF is only like 1200, I'm not awful but in the world of chess players, I'm not very great. Most people on here are in the 1200-1400 area, or even under (like you) if you haven't noticed. I was just putting it in perspective, that having a 1800 rating on this site full of U1400's means he is probably pretty good.

Also, imo bullet takes more skill because it not only requires you to think, it requires you to think fast. It also is fun because of the time factor too.

e4nf3

My USCF is only like 1200, I'm not awful but in the world of chess players, I'm not very great.

You just posted how great you are, lad. Now I'm confused.

Edit: OK, now I see. Sounded like you were saying you were great.

Most people on here are in the 1200-1400 area, or even under (like you) if you haven't noticed.

Me? Really? Show me that stat. No...I hadn't noticed. Especially since I have not played a single online game in my life. Hence...unrated.

I do play against online and offline engines. 1600-1800 is where I am against them, rapid chess.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, either. Just saying, to clarify for you.

The_Gavinator

I apologize chap, I mistook your points for rating. And you are confusing me, 1200 is not an extremely very good rating. It's better than the average person, but not very great.

e4nf3

Good enough. Pleasant meeting you.

PS: My points are something in the 700's as I recall. That would be funny. BTW, I wish they'd set my points at 0...I don't want them.

The_Gavinator

Haha yeah, I don't quite see the point of them...

cabadenwurt

Hey my buddy " old grumpy " finally thought up a title on his own, nearly killed me  lol, wait I got to go get one of my pills now  rofl. 

e4nf3

Hey, cabby...put that thing down before you hurt yourself. (lol)

e4nf3

Good one!

Meadmaker

So what do you think of Chess prodigies?  I cited a case of a five year old who had a 1000+ rating after his first tournament.  No coach.  Parents not great Chess players. Perhaps he had received a little bit of instruction at a typical school Chess club, but that's it. No dedicated practice, beyond hanging out and playing Chess.  Nevertheless, people like that kid immediately start strong and rise rapidly.

e4nf3

There are prodigies and then  there is the rest of us.

Take Bobby Fischer. He was gifted (if it can be called that) to play chess. But he also worked awfully hard at it. And, when young, he said: "All I want to do is play chess." (Of course, when he was old he said he hated chess.)

Gifted, hard working and motivated...what a winning combination.

You and I may have no control over the first item. But, I think, if we were to apply the other two, we could rise far higher than where we are now.

My goal is a solid 1800. I figure one more year. After that, I don't know that I want to put in the work to go higher. Maybe.

But, I have a goal and a plan. Do you?

zborg
Meadmaker wrote:

So what do you think of Chess prodigies?  

Why do folks with (allegedly) high IQs believe they can always pose a problem, and then simply figure it out in their head?  You have this problem in spades.

You keep pushing on "psychology," and "brain models" and correlations, blah blah blah. And no one else's opinion has stopped your relentless, "but-what-about-this-example," comebacks.

For your own edification, considering reading a recent chess book by a Psychology Professor at Queen's City College of New York, Joel R. Sneed, who is also a student of GM Boris Gulko.  It covers many, many, aspects of chess psychology, learning, brain templates, IQ, and age related issues, that have been discussed (ad nauseam) in this thread.  And it will provide you with ample grist for you (onging) mill.

I assure you, this book will answer all the questions you keep posing in this thread, but refusing to accept anyone else's perfectly reasonable answers.

Here's the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Grandmaster-Strategy-Psychology-Everyman/dp/1857446682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334939563&sr=8-1

Please learn some humility, your IQ notwithstanding.

This forum topic has been locked