Forums

Chess books

Sort:
ChipleyKnight

Which chess books are your favorites?

Drummy49

Eric Schiller's "(Learn From) Bobby Fischer's Greatest Games".

It's very readable, in depth, and directly translatable to one's game.

Ziryab

Most of these are pretty good. That's why they are on the shelf next to my desk.

ChipleyKnight

I love The Aggressive Player's guide to the English. I think that is its name. I also enjoy the starting out series.

Moon_Cthulhu
Ziryab wrote:

Most of these are pretty good. That's why they are on the shelf next to my desk.

Great collection you have there.

Aperture

I love the Silman books.

AndyClifton
Ziryab wrote:

That Gligoric's Best Games looks pretty good (I once found a book with a title like that at a thrift store, but it turned out to be a bunch of his columns from Chess Life...which were also pretty good).  Hey, wasn't that Grandmaster Chess Tournament about one of the Wijk aan Zee ones in the 70s?

Ziryab
AndyClifton wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

That Gligoric's Best Games looks pretty good (I once found a book with a title like that at a thrift store, but it turned out to be a bunch of his columns from Chess Life...which were also pretty good).  Hey, wasn't that Grandmaster Chess Tournament about one of the Wijk aan Zee ones in the 70s?

Yes. The Wijk aan Zee 1975 tournament book and Gligoric's Best Games are both RHM Press books from the 1970s. Back then, I also had the 1973 Soviet championship and 1972 San Antonio (the famous Church's Fried Chicken sponsored event), but sold these in the early 1980s. Karpov's Collected Games is also from the mid-1970s. These were the books I studied when I was supposed to be doing my high school home work.

baddogno

I use Paul van der Sterren's Fundamental Chess Openings (FCO) almost every day.  Databases have pretty much replaced general opening books unless they explain why the moves are being made and the general plans for each side.  FCO does this quite well IMHO.

unique1234567890

Winning Chess Brilliancies

AndyClifton
Ziryab wrote:
Back then, I also had ...1972 San Antonio (the famous Church's Fried Chicken sponsored event)....

Yeah, I also had that one...where both players annotated their games!  Very cool idea (and like that Piatigorski Cup II one).