Chess for Oldtimers --- Good Idea !

  • #1981

    DaveEwart wrote:

    I'm not quite that old, but it gives me some reassurance that my brain may still work in later life when I read the research regarding chess players (and any other mentally-intensive activity) helping to keep Alzheimers at bay etc.

    On a related but slightly tangential note, in the Entry Form for an upcoming congress there is a prize for Highest Placed Veteran.  It describes this as "Aged 60+ as of 1 September 1951".

    Wow. That is old.  Anyone that old who manages to make it to the venue deserves a prize, in my opinion ;-)

    (Yes, I know what they really mean!)

    Oh really you Muppet... As has been said I started playing on my computer in part for the reasons given.. you think 60 is old... I'm 70 and in addition to my new found chess hobby. I play 18 holes of golf each day on a 7,000 yard championship course. and no I don't use a buggy I walk. You have a very warped concept of age..now I'm off to the golf and yes it's only 6° out there.. Have a nice day.

  • #1982

    Thanks for the new posts.

  • #1983

    Fightingbob: Nowadays I stick mainly to the odd glass ( or two ) of Beer. However if I feel a cold coming on I have a nice strong cup of Irish coffee in the morning, if I'm staying home for the day that is.  

  • #1984

    Jacynth: Wow that is quite a project to walk all the way around a 7,000 yard course each day, you seem to be keeping quite busy. 

  • #1985
    badenwurtca wrote:

    Jacynth: Wow that is quite a project to walk all the way around a 7,000 yard course each day, you seem to be keeping quite busy. 

    That's the beauty of golf. Fitness, challenging, socialIy stimulating, fredh air, and likr chess. You can do it on your own..

    Can also like chess be very frustraiting.

     

  • #1986

    Age can be frustrating. I am coming up to 57 and am feeling something, but I am not sure if it's old or not. I teach 18-22 year olds, so that might have something to do with it.

  • #1987
    kasmersensei wrote:

    Age can be frustrating. I am coming up to 57 and am feeling something, but I am not sure if it's old or not. I teach 18-22 year olds, so that might have something to do with it.

    Yes from about 50 you start to notice little imperceptible changes to your body. If you are a man you will be peeing a lot at night. Good news is it just gets worse..until you have the op that is. You know they stick somthing up your peepee and cut your Prostate from the inside.

    The aging trick is good diet and keep active. Not an American trait . Do that and you will enjoy life for a long time yet..

     

  • #1988

    I am living in Japan, so my wife is trying to keep me healthy. I still have a fairly big bladder, but my nights at the bar with not using the mens are recently gone.

  • #1989
    kasmersensei wrote:

    I am living in Japan, so my wife is trying to keep me healthy. I still have a fairly big bladder, but my nights at the bar with not using the mens are recently gone.

    It's not the size of a mans bladder that's at issue..it's the enlarging prostate... Not to be ignored. You say your wife is trying. .Just remember husband's are even more trying..Oh yes they are.

  • #1990

    How are you "old timers" doing with opening jars nowadays?  I now try briefly, then look around for a young person and hand it to him, while trying to look pitiful and helpless, which isn't hard to do, because it's pretty much how I'm actually feeling at the time ... plus, really annoyed at the evil company whose jars are cleverly designed to make me wrench my thumbs ................ perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this ........ no, I don't think so.

  • #1991
    motherinlaw wrote:

    How are you "old timers" doing with opening jars nowadays?  I now try briefly, then look around for a young person and hand it to him, while trying to look pitiful and helpless, which isn't hard to do, because it's pretty much how I'm actually feeling at the time ... plus, really annoyed at the evil company whose jars are cleverly designed to make me wrench my thumbs ................ perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this ........ no, I don't think so.

    There is a clever gizmo out there it's simply a thin rubber round a little bigger than a drinks coaster. It folds around the can top and gives you great traction/grip.Probably get one on eBay.

     

  • #1992

    Not " can "   jar, jar, jar..you see I can open jars. I just can't remember what they are called.

  • #1993
    • the block a couple of times. Hoaverage level allways keeping in mind that I'm also getting lots of mental exercise while involved in a fun activity that I enjoy. There is one minor ( but quite aggravating ) problem tho I will be in the middle of a game and suddenly my mind wanders off and next thing I know I've made a boneheaded move and messed up the game. I mainly play Live Chess try to keep the game moving ( set at 15 and 10 ). I had a nice litte game going earlier today and for no logical reason gave away a rook, with no return of material, maddening. Perhaps this type of problem is one reason that we see very few older players able to keep up in high level tournament play ? Well I'm off to get another game, maybe this time I can get my mind to concentrate all the way to the end of the game  lol.    
    • Wrong.. Saij.. The silly gifts are due to multitasking. I rarely play and don't do simething else at the same time.

     

  • #1994
    motherinlaw wrote:

    How are you "old timers" doing with opening jars nowadays?  I now try briefly, then look around for a young person and hand it to him, while trying to look pitiful and helpless, which isn't hard to do, because it's pretty much how I'm actually feeling at the time ... plus, really annoyed at the evil company whose jars are cleverly designed to make me wrench my thumbs ................ perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this ........ no, I don't think so.

    Mil, just click here, or here to see what Jacynth is talking about.  Considering I have a weaker grip due to my Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, which can be debilitating but not crippling, and have since the age of about 12, "jar grippers" really work for me.

    While poking around I found something on sale that may be even more effective than these rubber pads; it's simply called a jar opener (click here).

    Good luck,
    Bob 

  • #1995

    Thanks for all of these new posts, some good info there.

Top
or Join
=

Online Now