Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
SmyslovFan

Click the resign button. It looks like a flag (you're waving the White Flag of surrender).

RichardSattanni
If I started with 1200, played and won by default for resignation by opponent , of course my ranking increases. If I succeeded at tutorial , I get added score for each passed? Does this number total reflect my new score rank? Will it change when I begin playing again? Does winning against computer also change score or strictly against ranked players only?
Kowalski_x

This question hasn't been answered enough in 10 years?

GambitGuru04

Lol 

Madmad010

The chess rating is kinda putting you into a group like good-bad type thing.

Madmad010

1200 is a normal so not good or bad

pranav_2_0_0_4

chess rating system is a system used in chess to calculate an estimate of the strength of the player, based on his or her performance versus other players. They are used by organizations such as FIDE, the US Chess Federation (USCF or US Chess), International Correspondence Chess Federation, and the English Chess Federation. Most of the systems are used to recalculate ratings after a tournament or match but some are used to recalculate ratings after individual games. Popular online chess sites such as chess.comand Internet Chess Club also implement rating systems. In almost all systems a higher number indicates a stronger player. In general, players' ratings go up if they perform better than expected and down if they perform worse than expected. The magnitude of the change depends on the rating of their opponents. The Elo rating system is currently the most widely used.

The first modern rating system was used by the Correspondence Chess League of America in 1939. Soviet player Andrey Khachaturov proposed a similar system in 1946 (Hooper & Whyld 1992:332). The first one that made an impact on international chess was the Ingo system in 1948. The USCF adopted the Harkness system in 1950. Shortly after, the British Chess Federation started using a system devised by Richard W. B. Clarke. The USCF switched to the Elo rating system in 1960, which was adopted by FIDE in 1970 (Hooper & Whyld 1992:332).

drmrboss
Madmad010 wrote:

1200 is a normal so not good or bad

I disagreed! 1500 is the initial rating! 1200 means much lower than initial(mean), unrated player.

A 5-years old-kid or a guy who just learned to play chess today will start with 1500 rating initially when he start playing rated chess games! See the rating explanation in Wikipedia.

Actually, what rating you feel good is your personal perception. Some people may feel 800 rating is good, but some people may see 2800 rating is good.

null

chitownwarrior

the rating system on chess.com is stupid! the so. called system is not how it works in the real chess world! if your a Grand Master you don't stop being a Grand Master because you lose a game!! this is stupid!!

camter
travis1010 wrote:
So the reason Kasparov is better than me is because his rating is higher than mine?

I think so.

DjonniDerevnja
Windancer1953 wrote:

My Daily Chess rating started out at 800. What happened to 1200?

I think 800 is a good stating point unless you already are fiderated  or have another chess.com rating.  The fiderating is a fine startingpoint, and another chess.com rating also makes a good startingpoint. Chess.com, what do you think about this idea?

JamesAgadir
Windancer1953 a écrit :

My Daily Chess rating started out at 800. What happened to 1200?

If you picked your level to be beginner then you get an 800 rating

arjunraje2010

it's in their hand

1QWERTY_11

On lichess we start from 1500.

SmyslovFan
Mr_MaJoR wrote:

On lichess we start from 1500.

That's not true at all. On LiChess, if you haven't played any games, you are considered "unrated". That's how it's supposed to be!

alvarovalenzuela

This new provisional chess rating system is awful.

Im  stuck playing a guy way out of his depth that won’t resign a clearly losing position. 

Just make everybody 1200 and the 5% that is clearly better will be playing with competitive opposition within a few games.

alvarovalenzuela

I’m rated around 1800, I used to play only against opponents with my relative strength.

Now I have to spend my time playing against people that don’t have the level for a competitive game. It’s not only annoying for me but it’s also not very encouraging for the new member. He is probably the best chess player in his family and thinks he is advanced or whatever. It’s not his fault either. It’s the software that makes the faulty assumption that beginners are completely aware that they are beginners when that’s not really the case.

alvarovalenzuela

Btw in daily based games you can start multiple games at a time without finishing the previous one. Thereby a 900 players can play 20 games with different 1800 opposition, so he isnt annoying just one player.  

incorrectname
Joined 27 days ago
KayKayben

follow @kidconsumer on Instagram