Chess rating system

  • #1121
    Rafchess wrote:

     Best moves is key to win.


    Computer analysis most often gives my games 30+% of inaccuracies, mistakes and blunders, and yet I am rated in the top 2% (turn-based).  Players rated 2200+ still make their share of mistakes.  When I am stuck for a good move, I try to avoid making a really bad move.  Making the "best moves" constantly is a pipe dream.

  • #1122

    My humble goal within 3 years is to reach 1500 Elo. I don't think I will beat many players. Is it still possible to get a reasonably accurate rating?

  • #1123
    Violets_are_blue wrote:

    My humble goal within 3 years is to reach 1500 Elo. I don't think I will beat many players. Is it still possible to get a reasonably accurate rating?


    I assume you mean over the board chess.  You'd need to play a large number of games (maybe 50) against a variety of opponents to achieve a reasonably accurate rating, IMHO.  According to my turn-based Glicko RD = 61, meaning there is a good degree of confidence that my playing strength is + or - 122 points, (between 1892 and 2136) and I've played about 300 games.

  • #1124
    irrawang wrote:
    Violets_are_blue wrote:

    My humble goal within 3 years is to reach 1500 Elo. I don't think I will beat many players. Is it still possible to get a reasonably accurate rating?


    I assume you mean over the board chess.  You'd need to play a large number of games (maybe 50) against a variety of opponents to achieve a reasonably accurate rating, IMHO.  According to my turn-based Glicko RD = 61, meaning there is a good degree of confidence that my playing strength is + or - 122 points, (between 1892 and 2136) and I've played about 300 games.


    I will be prepared to play dozens and dozens of games. ;) Thanks.

  • #1125
    Violets_are_blue wrote:
    irrawang wrote:
    Violets_are_blue wrote:

    My humble goal within 3 years is to reach 1500 Elo. I don't think I will beat many players. Is it still possible to get a reasonably accurate rating?


    I assume you mean over the board chess.  You'd need to play a large number of games (maybe 50) against a variety of opponents to achieve a reasonably accurate rating, IMHO.  According to my turn-based Glicko RD = 61, meaning there is a good degree of confidence that my playing strength is + or - 122 points, (between 1892 and 2136) and I've played about 300 games.


    I will be prepared to play dozens and dozens of games. ;) Thanks.


     Smilefor that we wish u get thru success!!

  • #1126

    2 get ur ratin up highr wud it b wisr 2 ply higr rated plyrs r lowr rated plyers

  • #1127
    oldbones wrote:

    2 get ur ratin up highr wud it b wisr 2 ply higr rated plyrs r lowr rated plyers

    sorry about hat I was in a rush what I meant to say was 

    Too get your rating up higher would it be wuser to play higher rated oppenenents or lower rated oppnenents?

  • #1128

    haha

  • #1129

    I there a way I can have my rating manually lowered?

  • #1130

    like to zero?

  • #1131
    oldbones wrote:
    oldbones wrote:

    2 get ur ratin up highr wud it b wisr 2 ply higr rated plyrs r lowr rated plyers

    sorry about hat I was in a rush what I meant to say was 

    Too get your rating up higher would it be wuser to play higher rated oppenenents or lower rated oppnenents?


    Seriously, it is better to play lower rated players. However if you are really underrated then maybe the higher rated opponents would get your rating up sooner.

  • #1132
    shrike1 wrote:

    like to zero?


    Begs the question...Why would you want to?  If you feel you are overrated, your rating will come down soon enough.  Sandbagging is the tried and proven method for lowering your rating.  Although I don't know how low it is possible to go, probably about 500 or so.

  • #1133

    Is there a way for the moderators to manually lower my rating?

    I deserv to be around zero.....can it be made so?

  • #1134
    irrawang wrote:
    shrike1 wrote:

    like to zero?


    Begs the question...Why would you want to?  If you feel you are overrated, your rating will come down soon enough.  Sandbagging is the tried and proven method for lowering your rating.  Although I don't know how low it is possible to go, probably about 500 or so.


     Cool U go thru Erik's formula at the begining!!

  • #1135

    Hello!

  • #1136

    There are only 40 players below 550.  The lowest rated member is above 250.  I'd guess most of these members are inactive.  Even if you could arrange to play these guys and managed to lose every game (they could be quicker on the resign button or just plain time out) you'd still couldn't reach a zero rating.

  • #1137
    irrawang wrote:

    There are only 40 players below 550.  The lowest rated member is above 250.  I'd guess most of these members are inactive.  Even if you could arrange to play these guys and managed to lose every game (they could be quicker on the resign button or just plain time out) you'd still couldn't reach a zero rating.


    Laughing  U got an wonderful theme point!!

  • #1138

    what point was that?

  • #1139

    :( don't be hatin' on 250 raters!

  • #1140
    irrawang wrote:

    what point was that?


     LaughingIrrawang 's point was in his proposition !!

Top
or Join
=

Online Now