Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
Bertovzki

It is strange in the info tab where you can usually see the rating adjustment , there is not one there ? is it because its his first ever game ? that makes no sense.

And no titled players do not start automatically at a high rating at all , I have been playing 3 new titled players WFM , CM in daily matches , still playing one of them now , 2 of them started at 1200 , one at 1400 , one of them that started at 1200 , was 2000 before I had even finished they game , they went up every day , so they were playing other games , one I am still playing now started at 1400 , and is not playing anyone but me as his rating is still 1400 , I am his only opponent , so they will win of course and hurt my rating very annoying.

I am actually playing well against them an even game , I am trying to keep it that way

Bertovzki
llamonade2 wrote:
Bertovzki wrote:

It varies , I have had players start in games with me at 500 , 800 ,1200 and 1400 , I do not know why the difference , I lost a tonn of rating points when I had a good friend join chess.com , he was about 1700 rated , I was 1805 at the time he started at 500 and I forgot to turn off rated game , utterly destroyed my rating , so I did not even try to improve it for a year , now I am trying to get my ratings back , I have desided to suck it up and play this guy rated 800 and try my best and hope I do not lose , I do not like the idea of timing out and aborting on him , too bad , but this is an issue that needs addressing imo , say you are 1800 on chess.com in live rapid  standard chess , then you should be started at 200 points less or 100 less in daily , not 1000 or 1200 points less right .

If a player just joins and has no history then that is just how it is even if they are a GM so be it

That's a good suggestion... if someone is rated 1800 in a live time control then at least start them at 1600 in daily.

I remember a few years ago I wanted to play a lot of daily games for some reason
So I started 50 games at once. Well, of course they paired me with 50 people rated  about 1200
So I'm sure that was no fun for them.

Hay yeah it works both ways , we all thrash folks at the beginnig of daily if we are rated high , it is easy meat for a while , I had 19 game win streak recently when started to work on rating again.

Yes my point if you are already rated on chess.com in other time controls that should definitely be taken into account , it is way out of balance at present

Martin_Stahl
Bertovzki wrote:

It is strange in the info tab where you can usually see the rating adjustment , there is not one there ? is it because its his first ever game ? that makes no sense.

And no titled players do not start automatically at a high rating at all , I have been playing 3 new titled players WFM , CM in daily matches , still playing one of them now , 2 of them started at 1200 , one at 1400 , one of them that started at 1200 , was 2000 before I had even finished they game , they went up every day , so they were playing other games , one I am still playing now started at 1400 , and is not playing anyone but me as his rating is still 1400 , I am his only opponent , so they will win of course and hurt my rating very annoying.

I am actually playing well against them an even game , I am trying to keep it that way

When a titled player creates an account, they are just like any other member when doing it. However, once the submit their proof of title, the site sometimes does give them a higher rating. What that is depends; there are low rated titled players due to FIDE's automatic title system.

Even if the site doesn't, their lower rating won't impact your rating that much because their rating deviation (RD) is extremely high. The variable allows their rating to increase/decrease much more quickly and insulates opponents with stable ratings and low RD values from large rating hits 

DiogenesDue

If you look at individual game's hits to your ratings you will never be happy.  That's like watching the stock market every day and being depressed every day that it goes down, even when it actually rose 20% in 6 months wink.png.  Ratings are an incidental result, not a goal in and of themselves.

Bertovzki

Well it is a goal for me at present after having to resign 40 odd games a year ago destroying my rating also been playing 30 years I want to become a stronger player so yes is a bench mark of course rating matters I would rather be a GM or at least 2000 so it is a goal for sure I work hard at it

Muffintop75
joeyson wrote:

wow ppl

just play

ratings dont even matter"

They are very important to the enjoyment of the game. Most people would stop playing if all they did was lose,or if there were no real chance of losing. Ratings help pair players at similar levels, keeping the game enjoyable for all.