Sort:
EternalChess

Just an interesting fact 

Chess.com is worth approx $600,000. They get daily ads revenue of $800  

http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.chess.com

Chess sites:

Chesspark was worth $15,000

Redhotpawn is worth $100,000

Chessbase is worth $200,000 (on the site alone)

Gameknot.com is worth $300,000

Popular sites:

Facebook is worth 1.2 billion dollars while google is worth 2.4billion dollars and yahoo 800 million and Twitter 200 million and msn 300 million Google gets a whopping $3,000,000 in ad revenue

We can use this website to tell which chess site is worth more then others (meaning more ppl go on it)

hanngo

Woww,nice facts

Crazychessplaya

Time for an IPO?

EternalChess

Thx

logan71

Pretty interesting stuff.

Natalia_Pogonina

pogonina.com Estimated Worth $5810.8 USD

Underestimated, I would say Laughing

ChessChump99207

I'm surprised that it isn't worth more.

P.S. Eric you rich, rich man . . . I envy you.

erik
LYCAN148 wrote:

Woww,nice facts

i'd hardly consider those facts - i'd call them "interesting speculative guesses" at best. :)

Zugzeit

Our chess site is worth the most!! woot!!

costelus

I wonder why, with such revenues, I still see Erik and Jay around, instead of spending all tehir time on a beach in Ibiza :)

TheGrobe

Speculative to be sure.

This site simply takes the daily page-view stats and assumes $0.003 in ad revenue per pageview to get a daily ad revenue.  Once they've that, they simply turn it into an annual amount and use a multiplier of 2 to get an "estaimated worth".

Presumably this is meant to give some indication what the domain "www.chess.com" is worth, not the business which, of course, has other sources of revenue.

As a result, I'd say the estimate is most certainly low.  The revenue is grossly understated and the P/E ratio used enirely too conservative.

I have a specualtive guess of my own and it's much, much higher than $600,000.

Beast719
TheGrobe wrote:

Speculative to be sure.

This site simply takes the daily page-view stats and assumes $0.003 in ad revenue per pageview to get a daily ad revenue.  Once they've that, they simply turn it into an annual amount and use a multiplier of 2 to get an "estaimated worth".

Presumably this is meant to give some indication what the domain "www.chess.com" is worth, not the business which, of course, has other sources of revenue.

As a result, I'd say the estimate is most certainly low.  The revenue is grossly understated and the P/E ratio used enirely too conservative.

I have a specualtive guess of my own and it's much, much higher than $600,000.

Spot on Grobe the analysis from that site is wholly one dimensional and lacking any financial insight.  The other key sources of revenue need to be included memberships for example.

1 million members

15%-25% paying let's be conservative 15% at on average Gold membership @ $60/annum

That's $9,000,000 we need the net income so that would require a stab at the costs to run the business for a year.

Say that's $6,000,000.

Net income $3,000,000

A reasonable P/E ratio then for a high growth internet service company would be at least 10.

The most conservative estimate I can get to would be ~ $30,000,000.

But then what do I know I'm only the CEO of Wales?

EternalChess

Yes TheGrobe, nicely done..

if you look at a year back or so (i forget)

Google.. (i think) tried to buy yahoo (i believe..) for 55 billion dollars (correct me if i'm wrong).

So when you do some math, its worth alot more!

EternalChess

Thanks Kobe!!

Your here to save the day... but not to beat the buzzer. :)

justingoodhart
WOW!
EternalChess

wow...

the CEO is greedy..

dude...

50 BILLION is enough to live for 100000 Years, and yet he is greedy and wants even more money?? wow.

ErrantDeeds

This is a rather distasteful thread...

EternalChess

Really?

I swear it tasted liek chocolate :)

mprhchess

yes it is spam

shadowslayer

Well this went downhill rather fast.