Forums

Does chess help improve one's daily life?

Sort:
Suvel

This question has always bothered me. 

Can chess be applied to the real world in any way??

sapientdust

Anything can be applied to anything else if you try hard enough, but for any particular aspect of your life you wish to improve, there are probably going to be many far more efficient means of improving that than chess.

For example, chess may or may not help math skills, but it certainly does not improve math skills as much (and as efficiently) as math study and practice.

Edit: It seems you are asking two different questions. (1) Is one's life improved by chess in any way? (2) Can learning/playing chess help one do other things better off the chess board?

I interpreted the question as 2, and to 1, I would say that if one enjoys it and nobody gets harmed, that's enough to count as improving one's daily life.

Fear_ItseIf

probably the opposite

AlCzervik

Only if you're making money with it.

Suvel

lol Al I love your posts, they always make me smile

AndyClifton
Suvel_Karmarkar wrote:

This question has always bothered me. 

Can chess be applied to the real world in any way??

why? (on both counts)

zazen5

Yes.  Subconscious programming.  Anything you do affects your unconscious. I play chess and go to combat the forced domestication that this zombie society enslaves on me.  "p.y.a.", if you will, at all times because no one is to be trusted.

Suvel

I've been curious on why millions on people play chess and enjoy it.

Suvel

Maybe even billions

AndyClifton

Because they enjoy it. Smile

Suvel

yea true

maDawson
sapientdust wrote:

Anything can be applied to anything else if you try hard enough, but for any particular aspect of your life you wish to improve, there are probably going to be many far more efficient means of improving that than chess.

For example, chess may or may not help math skills, but it certainly does not improve math skills as much (and as efficiently) as math study and practice.

Edit: It seems you are asking two different questions. (1) Is one's life improved by chess in any way? (2) Can learning/playing chess help one do other things better off the chess board?

I interpreted the question as 2, and to 1, I would say that if one enjoys it and nobody gets harmed, that's enough to count as improving one's daily life.

100%