Does Luck Come into Chess?

  • #101
    keju wrote:

    There is a famous saying in sports: "You make your own luck". This also applies to chess. Capablanca himself said: "The good player is always lucky". The meaning is the same. "Luck favours the bold" is another version.

    you are right we need to be bold!!!

  • #102

    At any level you are bound to be unlucky as many times as you are lucky. Luck is chance, right? Flip a coin then....lucky or unlucky. In the long run thier is no such thing as luck.

    You make a shite move or you dont

  • #103
    porthos23 wrote:

    luck = fundamental law of nature

    what does that mean?

  • #104
  • #105
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #106

    ...of course it does...we are all humans, not machines. When your opponent makes a mistake, what do you call that? And which game has no mistakes?

    Too often we believe that even GMs will always play perfectly, and they always display that they too are human. I think this is why Carlsen continues in equal positions...because he knows that "weaker minds" will eventually make mistakes.

    Plus there are too many intangibles to mention which affects the quality of our play at any point in time...a simple thing as "the amount of sleep", or "personal stresses", can affect our games...is not the beneficiary of this lucky?

    Was Fischer lucky that Spassky continued with the match...even though Moscow had ordered him back to the Soviet Union, because Fischer was demanding the moon and the stars? He could have easily have left with his ball... 

  • #107

    Yes, there's luck in life.... in humans....

    But there's no luck in the RULES of chess

    other games are lucky by definition (luck is an essential part of their rules or scope)

    chess by definition includes NO luck, if luck has effect on a chess game it's from outside of the game, not from inside factors

    i consider a human player an outside factor... like an alien playing chess would be an outside factor... chess would still be the same, but the alien might have different reactions and "luck" than the human...

    is that simple enough?

    UndecidedFoot in Mouth

  • #108
    Eseles wrote:

    Yes, there's luck in life.... in humans....

    But there's no luck in the RULES of chess

    other games are lucky by definition (luck is an essential part of their rules or scope)

    chess by definition includes NO luck, if luck has effect on a chess game it's from outside of the game, not from inside factors

    i consider a human player an outside factor... like an alien playing chess would be an outside factor... chess would still be the same, but the alien might have different reactions and "luck" than the human...

    is that simple enough?

     

    Yes, though I prefer to state it like this... There is no luck in chess theoretically; practically, there is.

  • #109

    only for those whose thinking skills are lacking depth clarity or accuracy

  • #110

    if you pay attention to the board then NO

  • #111

    if you believe that lucky days exist and you happen to have a match that day then yes

  • #112

    You may get lucky playing against a "made Monday morning" computer!

  • #113
    landwehr wrote:

    only for those whose thinking skills are lacking depth clarity or accuracy

    Which is everyone - human and, at the moment, computer.

  • #114

    Isnt every won or lost game based on the fact that one player missed something the other did not?  Yes GM's have a power beyond most, but the same is true with them.  So in a way every game involves luck, which I understand as the lack of perfection.  No game is played 100% perfect, but the ratio of luck to raw skill can fluctuate.  A GM playing a novice will win with 99.999999% skill, but playing against another GM, that number will drop.  Things will be missed just like they are among novice players. The only difference is that the GM's misses are far more advanced.  Things are relative. 

  • #115
    naturalproduct wrote:
    porthos23 wrote:

    luck = fundamental law of nature

    what does that mean?

    To me it means that there is no perfection in the universe.  Hence, luck = lack of perfection, or omnipotence = fundamental law of nature

  • #116

    Yes, chess has just as much luck as poker and magic the gathering.

  • #117
    Jion_Wansu wrote:

    Yes, chess has just as much luck as poker and magic the gathering.

    i wouldn't say that, i usually get better cards and better dice-rolls when playing chess Foot in Mouth

    i mean, we roll the dice and shuffle the pieces and deal them at the start of every chess game, right? Laughing

  • #118
    Jion_Wansu wrote:

    Yes, chess has just as much luck as poker and magic the gathering.

    I don't know why people call statistics luck....

or Join

Online Now