Depends on the person

Fast thinkers yes blitz chess helps

Slow thinkers depends

BigChessplayer665

They actually allow you to practice all the above mentioned

But with time pressure

For chess slow and steady unfortunately doesn't win the race

Dchessguy124

To improve at chess, you have to learn to think... Playing chess so fast that you hardly have time to move the pieces will not help with that!

Dchessguy124

Sure :) Advancing past 1500 requires more than just avoiding blunders - it requires positional understanding, more complex tactics, and above all consistency. This becomes especially important for longer time controls if you play over-the-board, because a single mistake can be fatal. Thus, reaching 2000-2200 requires deeper understanding of the game, which is best obtained by reading the right books and analysing your long games. Blitz chess, on the other hand, teaches a lot of bad habits. It teaches you to play against the opponent's clock, rather than the opponent's position; for example, it is best to play a dubious move in blitz if it creates a complicated position when your opponent is low on time. It also teaches that speed is more important than consistency; conserving time more important than accurate moves. It also teaches you to look for cheap tactics, like forks and skewers, since your opponent is less likely to spot them with less time. None of these practices will translate to better Rapid or OTB standard performance. I'm not saying Blitz isn't fun - I find it quite exciting (in moderation!). But as an improvement tool, you will quickly hit a brick wall with it. As any coach or top player will tell you, they got there through hard work and systematic training, and not through Blitz.

BigChessplayer665
Dchessguy124 wrote:

To improve at chess, you have to learn to think... Playing chess so fast that you hardly have time to move the pieces will not help with that!

Actually I do better in classical I have outplayed ims in rapid quite a few times

I'm primarily a blitz player

Rapid I don't have enough time to think so speed chess is helpful more time isn't always good when trying to learn something sometimes pressure is super helpful but it depends on the person

BigChessplayer665
Dchessguy124 wrote:

Sure :) Advancing past 1500 requires more than just avoiding blunders - it requires positional understanding, more complex tactics, and above all consistency. This becomes especially important for longer time controls if you play over-the-board, because a single mistake can be fatal. Thus, reaching 2000-2200 requires deeper understanding of the game, which is best obtained by reading the right books and analysing your long games. Blitz chess, on the other hand, teaches a lot of bad habits. It teaches you to play against the opponent's clock, rather than the opponent's position; for example, it is best to play a dubious move in blitz if it creates a complicated position when your opponent is low on time. It also teaches that speed is more important than consistency; conserving time more important than accurate moves. It also teaches you to look for cheap tactics, like forks and skewers, since your opponent is less likely to spot them with less time. None of these practices will translate to better Rapid or OTB standard performance. I'm not saying Blitz isn't fun - I find it quite exciting (in moderation!). But as an improvement tool, you will quickly hit a brick wall with it. As any coach or top player will tell you, they got there through hard work and systematic training, and not through Blitz.

It depends on the person

Here are a few ways blitz can be helpful

1.competitivness blitz is naturally more competitive due to more titled players and otb players playing it and the pressure it gives

2.it does actually teach you positional play which is more important than "thinking well" stockfish is all calculation but it sucks why is that ? Because you need to see and endgame /know what positions you need to reach you learn that by playing my games not just by "analyzing "

3.tempo it teaches you how to make forcing moves in a relatively balanced time management

4.humans don't really have the attention span to pay attention for 3 min much less calculate for 15

That's why chess requires obsesivness you can't really pay attention for that long unless you enjoy it

5.yes rapid is better if you don't know the fundamentals but once you know the fundamentals any time control is good just analyze your games after usually people figure out the fundamentals between 1200-1600 elo

6.depends some people do worse in blitz others in rapid

Example of you have tunnel vision rapid unless it is irl otb might not be the best idea cause you will just come out/in and not pay attention then flag blitz prevents that it does not give you time to zone out rather zoning in is helpful cause you keep a solid tempo

BigChessplayer665

It is about learning not about what time control you play

You learn faster than your opponent(only at chess)

And of course work hard

You improve faster

you need to work smarter+harder

denaro7

How much time I need to have 1500elo?

BigChessplayer665
Dchessguy124 wrote:

@TheKrugingDunnerEffect you are obstinate that you are right, but here I am 150 elo higher telling you you are wrong. Go it your own way, but you will waste a huge amount of time playing blitz to no avail

I'm also 2180 on a different account technically higher rated than u lol

BigChessplayer665

Blitz isn't ussless I actually did the same thing and improved massively

I got to 1600 then quit rapid it seems around 1600 is the bare minimum for understanding the basics of chess I play rapid like once every two weeks

BigChessplayer665

You could prove me wrong by beating me more than 5 times in a row though lol

Ten |0 doesn't not count btw that is still blitz chess

BigChessplayer665
Dchessguy124 wrote:

@TheKrugingDunnerEffect you are obstinate that you are right, but here I am 150 elo higher telling you you are wrong. Go it your own way, but you will waste a huge amount of time playing blitz to no avail

And how many hours did you study exactly ? Let's compare time spent on chess

Chess_Player_lol

I think a lot of people are forgettis is that there is no single set way to improve, rather there are multiple ways that I think each of us as experiences. However, there are of course many wrong ways as well so we should not just blindly accept random advice as just being a different way to success.

I think getting to 2000 can be broken into two different sections, sub 1400 and over 1400. The reason why I'm breaking this into two sections is because each of these need to focus on a different aspect of their game.

Firstly, sub 1400 should focus on their board vision and learning principled play. board vision is seeing how pieces interact on the board and with other pieces, this can involve basic tactics like spotting a hanging piece to more complicated things such as forks, skewer, mating nets, etc. The best way to improve board vision is to A) solve a bunch of puzzles B) play a bunch of games (this option is talked about less but it works extremely well for sub 1400). Next sub 1400s should focus on principles play. This involves the opening, middlegame and endgame and just understanding the general ideas of what you should be doing. For example in the opneing you should be playing principly by devleoping pieces getting your king safe, placing rooks on open files, controlling the center, etc. Middlegame involves, improving your worse placed piece, creating pawn weaknesses in your opponents position, activating your pieces, pawn breaks, attacking the king, etc. Sub 1400s should learn these various plans and ideas, and learn how to use them effectively. As for endgames I don't think sub 1400s should study it much, but there are a few basic principles and theoretical endgames they should know. For principles, they should learn how and when to activate their king, how to turn pawn majorities into passed pawns, how to stop pawn majorities, how to effectively place pieces around these pawn structures (also somehting to learn for middlegame), and more. As for the theoretical portion you should be learning basic endgame technique, such as mating iwth queen, rook, ladder mate, and some king and pawn endgames as well. I dont think learning rook, bishop or knight endgames are useful yet as there are better things to dedicate your time towards (but again this is where some advice may differ).

As for over 1400, you should be continuing to work on your boardvision/tactical sense, however I dont think games will be enough practice, rather you will have to do puzzles and purposefully train your board vision. You should also continue learning those basic principles, but you should also start expanding it and learning more specific examples, such as getting rooks to 7th/2nd rank, learnign specific pawn structures and how they affect piece play (such as IQP, hanging pawn structure, carlsbad structure, ruy lopez/italian structures), etc. There are a lot of specifics to learn so for that reason i reccomend "road to positional advantage by herman grooten" And once you finish that book I reccomend "Pawn structures by mauricio flores" (something ive been working on recently. As for endgames I think it is appropriate to expand your theoretical endgame knowledge to rook endgames, bishop endgames, bishop+knight mate, 2 Bishops mate (The checkmates are probably only worthwhile if you are already 1800, people say they are difficult and it is, but it'll only take a few hours to learn and a few minutes each week to maintain your knowledge).

Last thing, and this applies to all levels, the amount you improve is directly correlated to the time you put into chess. If you want to improve fast you are going ot ahve to work hard and spend a lot of time on chess, if you are just playing a few hours each, or even less than 1hr a day, that is fine. But dont expect to have the same results as someone who is putting in way more work than you.

BigChessplayer665
Chess_Player_lol wrote:

I think a lot of people are forgettis is that there is no single set way to improve, rather there are multiple ways that I think each of us as experiences. However, there are of course many wrong ways as well so we should not just blindly accept random advice as just being a different way to success.

I think getting to 2000 can be broken into two different sections, sub 1400 and over 1400. The reason why I'm breaking this into two sections is because each of these need to focus on a different aspect of their game.

Firstly, sub 1400 should focus on their board vision and learning principled play. board vision is seeing how pieces interact on the board and with other pieces, this can involve basic tactics like spotting a hanging piece to more complicated things such as forks, skewer, mating nets, etc. The best way to improve board vision is to A) solve a bunch of puzzles B) play a bunch of games (this option is talked about less but it works extremely well for sub 1400). Next sub 1400s should focus on principles play. This involves the opening, middlegame and endgame and just understanding the general ideas of what you should be doing. For example in the opneing you should be playing principly by devleoping pieces getting your king safe, placing rooks on open files, controlling the center, etc. Middlegame involves, improving your worse placed piece, creating pawn weaknesses in your opponents position, activating your pieces, pawn breaks, attacking the king, etc. Sub 1400s should learn these various plans and ideas, and learn how to use them effectively. As for endgames I don't think sub 1400s should study it much, but there are a few basic principles and theoretical endgames they should know. For principles, they should learn how and when to activate their king, how to turn pawn majorities into passed pawns, how to stop pawn majorities, how to effectively place pieces around these pawn structures (also somehting to learn for middlegame), and more. As for the theoretical portion you should be learning basic endgame technique, such as mating iwth queen, rook, ladder mate, and some king and pawn endgames as well. I dont think learning rook, bishop or knight endgames are useful yet as there are better things to dedicate your time towards (but again this is where some advice may differ).

As for over 1400, you should be continuing to work on your boardvision/tactical sense, however I dont think games will be enough practice, rather you will have to do puzzles and purposefully train your board vision. You should also continue learning those basic principles, but you should also start expanding it and learning more specific examples, such as getting rooks to 7th/2nd rank, learnign specific pawn structures and how they affect piece play (such as IQP, hanging pawn structure, carlsbad structure, ruy lopez/italian structures), etc. There are a lot of specifics to learn so for that reason i reccomend "road to positional advantage by herman grooten" And once you finish that book I reccomend "Pawn structures by mauricio flores" (something ive been working on recently. As for endgames I think it is appropriate to expand your theoretical endgame knowledge to rook endgames, bishop endgames, bishop+knight mate, 2 Bishops mate (The checkmates are probably only worthwhile if you are already 1800, people say they are difficult and it is, but it'll only take a few hours to learn and a few minutes each week to maintain your knowledge).

Last thing, and this applies to all levels, the amount you improve is directly correlated to the time you put into chess. If you want to improve fast you are going ot ahve to work hard and spend a lot of time on chess, if you are just playing a few hours each, or even less than 1hr a day, that is fine. But dont expect to have the same results as someone who is putting in way more work than you.

That's what I'm trying to say

ChessMasteryOfficial

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess.
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

fred1259

You said that to me