Fight, Flight, Freeze: Responding to a Stronger Opponent

IMBacon
bong711 wrote:
69AlphaMale109 wrote:
bong711 wrote:

@AlphaMale Do you spar against 3000+ engines?

Engines are weaker than the best humans.

Carlsen and Super GMs should learn from you in subject of self confidence. They conceded that Engines are the best chess players.

69AlphaMale109 is on drmrboss's "friends" list.  Thats all you need to know.

kaukasar
IMBacon wrote:

I knew it was time to quit play OTB tournaments when i was no longer able to block out all the outside distractions.  I could concentrate and nothing would distract me.  Over time, those "distractions" became harder and harder to block out.  Finally getting to the point where it became nearly impossible for me to put in the concentration to play. 

Have you tried any methods or techniques to deal with the concentration issue? Did anything happened to you in life that made it impossible to concentrate? Sad to hear that such a thing made you quit playing chess..

IMBacon
kaukasar wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

I knew it was time to quit play OTB tournaments when i was no longer able to block out all the outside distractions.  I could concentrate and nothing would distract me.  Over time, those "distractions" became harder and harder to block out.  Finally getting to the point where it became nearly impossible for me to put in the concentration to play. 

Have you tried any methods or techniques to deal with the concentration issue? Did anything happened to you in life that made it impossible to concentrate? Sad to hear that such a thing made you quit playing chess..

With me it was more of a "I know its time to hang it up" feeling.  I fought against it for a few years, tried several different things. 

Studying more - which lead to more not wanting to study.

Hiring a coach - which lead to really not wanting to put in the time or effort.

Buying cheesy online lessons - while fun, it didnt do anything to help my game.

As far as "did anything happen in my life?"  Yes...I got healthier.  The compliments were nice, and i am grateful that people noticed.  I even had one guy ask me if i had cancer :-)  Which turned out to be a blessing as it allowed me to tell people about ketogenics, and my faith.  But that didn't make me want to stay serious about chess. 

I dont view it as sad.  I view it as i feel i am very fortunate to know when its time to hang it up tournament wise.  I still go to tournaments, watch the games, help out, see friends.  I view them as mini vacations.  It got to the point where it became more work than fun.  And it does free up more time to teach chess, which is something i really enjoy.

HanoiFC2006

Just play your game! That might not be their real ratings!

For example, how can this be a 2700?

Making some weird bad moves and still mate in 15 moves from a simple battery on the a2-g8 diagonal that can be easily blocked. I'm not boasting, just to say that don't be too scared when you see a rating, stay calm and play your best.

Thee_Ghostess_Lola
enoughwiththeblues wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

Its a hurdle im sure we all have endured through for many things in life. 

You can only control you.  Play the board.  Find the best moves you can.  Have fun.  The rest will take care of itself.

 

I cant agree more with controlling myself and my responses. Am sort of an emotional player so, the control part is a constant battle. Haha. Calmness is definitely the way forward, it has always been my Achilles heel. 😆😆 Thank you for your suggestion. These are well taken.

I play w/ all the emotion i can. i say let it out ! it gives me inspiration and purpose and energy. happy.png 

enoughwiththeblues
Thee_Ghostess_Lola wrote:
enoughwiththeblues wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

Its a hurdle im sure we all have endured through for many things in life. 

You can only control you.  Play the board.  Find the best moves you can.  Have fun.  The rest will take care of itself.

 

I cant agree more with controlling myself and my responses. Am sort of an emotional player so, the control part is a constant battle. Haha. Calmness is definitely the way forward, it has always been my Achilles heel. 😆😆 Thank you for your suggestion. These are well taken.

I play w/ all the emotion i can. i say let it out ! it gives me inspiration and purpose and energy.  

Lola, i like your approach too.😊 i am naturally an emotional person, who had difficulty staying calm. Hehe. Problem is, i get too much of it, i have difficulty making sound judgement. I like me calm every now and then. But passionate on most cases.😆😆

enoughwiththeblues
HanoiFC2006 wrote:

Just play your game! That might not be their real ratings!

For example, how can this be a 2700?

Making some weird bad moves and still mate in 15 moves from a simple battery on the a2-g8 diagonal that can be easily blocked. I'm not boasting, just to say that don't be too scared when you see a rating, stay calm and play your best.

I been practicing on both aspect. Calmness and bravery. I am starting to filter my games to come accross way stronger opponents. Face my fear, right? 😊 i do decently sometimes. In other cases, i make a total mess of it.😆 By the way, this game has  a lot of aspect to it that is interesting. Congratulations on playing very well.😊

enoughwiththeblues
IMBacon wrote:
kaukasar wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

I knew it was time to quit play OTB tournaments when i was no longer able to block out all the outside distractions.  I could concentrate and nothing would distract me.  Over time, those "distractions" became harder and harder to block out.  Finally getting to the point where it became nearly impossible for me to put in the concentration to play. 

Have you tried any methods or techniques to deal with the concentration issue? Did anything happened to you in life that made it impossible to concentrate? Sad to hear that such a thing made you quit playing chess..

With me it was more of a "I know its time to hang it up" feeling.  I fought against it for a few years, tried several different things. 

Studying more - which lead to more not wanting to study.

Hiring a coach - which lead to really not wanting to put in the time or effort.

Buying cheesy online lessons - while fun, it didnt do anything to help my game.

As far as "did anything happen in my life?"  Yes...I got healthier.  The compliments were nice, and i am grateful that people noticed.  I even had one guy ask me if i had cancer :-)  Which turned out to be a blessing as it allowed me to tell people about ketogenics, and my faith.  But that didn't make me want to stay serious about chess. 

I dont view it as sad.  I view it as i feel i am very fortunate to know when its time to hang it up tournament wise.  I still go to tournaments, watch the games, help out, see friends.  I view them as mini vacations.  It got to the point where it became more work than fun.  And it does free up more time to teach chess, which is something i really enjoy.

This is beautiful. Helping other progress, and making a change, and the determination to make a change. And admirable too. You do inspire.😊