x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Is 1.e4 for heros and 1.d4 for cowards? elaborate.

  • #121

    5 Best e4 Openings?

  • #122

    What you can say: Every chess player has to prepare (or cover in his repertoire) 1 e4 and 1 d4 (as well as 1 c4) - either with White or with Black! Cool

  • #123

    Is only a matter of taste

  • #124

    +1

  • #125
    PIRATCH wrote:

    What you can say: Every chess player has to prepare (or cover in his repertoire) 1 e4 and 1 d4 (as well as 1 c4) - either with White or with Black! 

    Anyone who thinks d4 games with boring obviously doesn't have a repetouire against d4. Or, they're playing the QGD and hoping for a draw (this means they are playing like cowards, not the player who played d4).

  • #126
    shepi13 wrote:
    PIRATCH wrote:

    What you can say: Every chess player has to prepare (or cover in his repertoire) 1 e4 and 1 d4 (as well as 1 c4) - either with White or with Black! 

    Anyone who thinks d4 games with boring obviously doesn't have a repetouire against d4. Or, they're playing the QGD and hoping for a draw (this means they are playing like cowards, not the player who played d4).

    lol - At least every chess player has to deal with 1 e4 and 1 d4 (as well as 1 c4) - even if someone doesn't like it. You cannot prevent White from playing these moves (as Black)! Laughing

    Of course they have. Even if you play 1...b6 no matter what White is doing! This is a repertoire! Cool

  • #127
    PIRATCH wrote:
    shepi13 wrote:
    PIRATCH wrote:

    What you can say: Every chess player has to prepare (or cover in his repertoire) 1 e4 and 1 d4 (as well as 1 c4) - either with White or with Black! 

    Anyone who thinks d4 games with boring obviously doesn't have a repetouire against d4. Or, they're playing the QGD and hoping for a draw (this means they are playing like cowards, not the player who played d4).

    lol - At least every chess player has to deal with 1 e4 and 1 d4 (as well as 1 c4) - even if someone doesn't like it. You cannot prevent White from playing these moves (as Black)! 

    Of course they have. Even if you play 1...b6 no matter what White is doing! This is a repertoire! 

    A repertoire indicates you have a preferred opening (such as 1...b6), or a set of openings. They just grab any random pawn and move it, which I don't think counts as a repetouire.

  • #128

    shepi13, you may not call it a repertoire but nevertheless a player has do deal with d4 (even if he - as you say - 'grabs any radom pawn [or knight - you forgot] and moves it' *rofl*). The same could be said of 1 e4 or 1 c4.

    And even if you have a preferred opening or set of openings you'll always have to deal with some positions you don't like that much. This could also be the case that you'll have at least one opening you have to play against your own preferred opening - that's also part of every repertoire! Cool

    I heard of a player who always played the moves his opponent had played against him in the previous game of a tournament (if the color always changed). That means he played for example 1 e4 and his opponent choses the sicilian najdorf he played on the next occasion against 1 e4 the sicilian najdorf too. (This was this players way to discover as many openings as possible. - I don't know if this method could be recomended ...)

    On the other hand an other player (ELO 2000+) once told me he always plays the same openings (e.g. French or Nimzo-Indian with Black - and queens gambit with White)! Of course the opponents know this but nevertheless he deepens his understanding of those openings with each game.

  • #129

    e4 is nice but the problem is e4 probably has been analysed too much already and you might have to play d4 to get some play.

  • #130

    it's the moves after e4 that have been analysed, not e4 itself.

    1. Nh3 ... best by test!

  • #131

    So many lies here. If d4 was for cowards why would Magnus Carlsend play d4 against the world. E4 has to face the Sicilian which gives a much higher draw percentage. So why bot play d4 with a strong center and slowly build up your attack and allay Sicilian against e4 (especially my favorite najdorf)

  • #132

    It's not lies, it's stupidity!

  • #133

    Real men play 1.f3.

  • #134

    That's right!  Anybody can win with a good opening.

  • #135

    What you should do is play a d4 opening from an e4 one, such as 1. e4 f5? d4! with a staunton gambit, 1. e4 g6? d4! with a KID or grunfeld transposition likely, and 1. e4 d5?? d4! with a blackmar diemar.

    Also acceptable is playing an e4 opening from a d4 opening, such as 1. d4 c5? e4!, 1. d4 e5? e4!, and even better 1. d4 e6?? e4!!

    Then we don't have to debate which is better, you are playing both.

  • #136

    If 1.d4 really was for cowards, that would have been the only opening Fischer ever played!

  • #137

    oh yeah, a nice thread I made, I won't forget this thread! Hehehehehe!

  • #138

    1.d4 all the way..

    d4 is superior and more aggressive. white gets a better attack.

    e4 allows black too many chances to equalize quite early.

    I play both e4 and d4

  • #139

    i think d4 is stronger but I play e4

  • #140
    GreedyPawnGrabber wrote:

    e4 is for silly Joe. 1. g3 ! is for fighters that will ultimately become heros

    I'm pro 1. g3 when I play black, watch me play 1... g5 as a response :)

Top

Online Now