Forums

My hard times in Chess and Country

Sort:
John_Paul_Asis

I don't have a computer, so I go everyday to the City just to play online chess... People here in our province didn't have any interest in arts, music or sports... Even though in my self I knew I really, really love to play chess something is bothering me....

1. How can our country be recognized in the world of chess if people don't have any interest?

2. How can Filipino people competes to other countries in this amazing game?

I really wish that our country has its own name that is recognized by the chess world it could be any opening, gambit, defense, etc. I really wish that we have many legendary chess grandmasters that I can be proud of, and study their games diligently.....

TheOldReb

http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=PHI

The top players in the Phillipines.

Helicopter

As an option, you can buy a very cheap local smartphone. In Bangkok, one would cost 35 dollars, but they are working just fine, you can play a lot of chess with it!

GM Wesley So is a great player! I read that his calculation abilities are just amazing and he played endless games against a computer programm in early years, he's also playing very fast.

tarrasch
John_Paul_Asis wrote:

1. How can our country be recognized in the world of chess if people don't have any interest?

2. How can Filipino people competes to other countries in this amazing game?

Why does your country have to be recognized in the world of chess?

Why can't you study the games of Russian masters, and only want to learn about players from the Philippines?

Anatias

not the issue guys, the issue is in social context.

sure great gms... et-cetera, how about a club, a chess club, the clubs were what started the chess world.  have you no one locally to play with, chess clubs travel to tourneyments, such clubs may even host tourneys.

now, today the chess world has major bounty for tournements, suppose you champion the manilla open, and provide a bit of pecuniary goals for better players to travel and take part.