My Nominee for Hungriest U2000 Amateur. Who's Yours?

SeniorPatzer

I just clicked on Milliern's profile and read a couple of posts of his.  Here's why I think he's the most ambitious, goal-driven, hungry like a starving zombie Under 2000 chessplayer in the World:

 

1.  Read his profile!  Excerpt:  "Notes about me as a chess player: I have a sort of chess persona that comes out on the board. I am psychologically violent, and I play passionately; yet I play with calculation, and I am probably best at the endgame. If you like open games, then I'd love to have shootouts with you. If you like playing closed positions, then I will destroy your position with a sacrifice --it may be a pawn, it may be a piece, it may be a queen, but I am coming after you, because I know that the psychology of such people is fear, fear of being attacked by a brute, and I'm one of them. Play positionally, and I will take it as an invitation to destroy, pillage, maim, and plunder --no mercy but that which pain will hath wrought. I do not accept draws, and I attack more confidently and with madness in the face of the cowardly act of so offering. However, if I offer a draw, know that you are probably won, and I am just mitigating losses...though I rarely do this, even after losing a piece; I just attack harder. I don't mind oppenents who disconnect, because I like to sadistically imagine what's going through my opponent's mind right after they have been mentally broken. This is much more enjoyable OTB, as in a USCF tournament --and it is what I play for in official games--, but that moment in online games is almost as enjoyable. To the death! Before my body I throw my warlike shield. Lay on! And damned be him [or her] who first cries, "Hold! Enough!"

 

Now I look at Milliern's photo, and I see a pleasant, amiable fellow, one who I'd love to just talk story with in Starbucks.

 

But OMG, the guy's like a crazy Mike Tyson or like Samuel Jackson in a Quentin Tarantino movie, Pulp Fiction!  He's like Hannibal Lecter, he just wants to eat you across the chess board as if you were fava beans.  

 

Lesson learned:  Appearances are deceiving!  Mild-mannered, unassuming on the outside, yet serial killer on the inside.  Run!

 

2.  Now look at his posts.  He's established both goals, training plans, and timelines.  He's even written an article on a theoretical framework for adult improvement.  He's planned, calculated, analyzed, schemed, and executed.  It's like he took what the 9/11 terrorists did, and adapted it to the chessboard and tournament play.  He is blowing people up left and right in his quest for 2000 and beyond.

 

David Milliern is my nominee for CrazyAzz Hungry U2000 Amateur in the World!  Seriously, who's hungrier than him?

dylana64
Me.
SeniorPatzer
dylpill999 wrote:
Me.

 

Make your case as to why you.  

Rsava

Dave's a pussycat. happy.png

But he gets my vote also.

Rsava
[COMMENT DELETED]
Cherub_Enjel

He seems like a nice guy. It's probably just something he put there because it would be fun to read.

SeniorPatzer
Cherub_Enjel wrote:

He seems like a nice guy. It's probably just something he put there because it would be fun to read.

 

Suppose in a tournament you get paired up with a player whom you didn't know before.  You did some research, and found out his profile.  And it read just like David Milliern's.

 

And then it came down to game time.  And the clock was pressed.  And he sat across the board  smiling at you like a gentle chess maniac.  What would be your psychological state of mind after you had just read his profile?

Cherub_Enjel

And later deleted the post. 

Jenium
SeniorPatzer wrote:
Cherub_Enjel wrote:

He seems like a nice guy. It's probably just something he put there because it would be fun to read.

 

Suppose in a tournament you get paired up with a player whom you didn't know before.  You did some research, and found out his profile.  And it read just like David Milliern's.

 

And then it came down to game time.  And the clock was pressed.  And he sat across the board  smiling at you like a gentle chess maniac.  What would be your psychological state of mind after you had just read his profile?

Funny text ...

Given that it is not meant to be ironical, I would play a closed position and wait for that sacrifice (preferably a queen sacrifice) that  "destroys" my position.

SeniorPatzer
urk wrote:
2Q1C discovered this fellow and made a post on him months ago.

 

Cherub Engel:  "And later deleted the post."

 

Urk and Cherub, do you remember the substance of 2Q1C's post?   Or why the post was subsequently deleted?

 

Jenium, I'd probably do the same thing as you.  Hope he makes an unsound sacrifice, weather the storm, and convert the material advantage to win.  And with plenty of time left on the clock.  

SeniorPatzer

"Nice to see that your thread mocking him is allowed and even mentioned his name. Nice work."

 

I kid you not, I wasn't mocking him.  I was honoring his drive and dedication.  I respect that very much.

BronsteinPawn

The only thing I know is that with all the money he puts in chess I would probably be a NM at worst. But again, Im just a random troll sad.png

MechHand

Probably me because I forgot breakfast

dylana64
I nominate myself as I haven't eaten in days!
TheAdultProdigy
Cherub_Enjel wrote:

 It's probably just something he put there because it would be fun to read.

Exactly.  It even explicitly says that, for me, the world of chess comes with a persona, real or merely an imaginative representation of something less than real.  

 

"Play is the most serious thing in the world."

--Nietzsche

TheAdultProdigy
Rsava wrote:

Dave's a pussycat.

But he gets my vote also.

Counted.

TheAdultProdigy
Jenium wrote:
SeniorPatzer wrote:
Cherub_Enjel wrote:

He seems like a nice guy. It's probably just something he put there because it would be fun to read.

 

Suppose in a tournament you get paired up with a player whom you didn't know before.  You did some research, and found out his profile.  And it read just like David Milliern's.

 

And then it came down to game time.  And the clock was pressed.  And he sat across the board  smiling at you like a gentle chess maniac.  What would be your psychological state of mind after you had just read his profile?

Funny text ...

Given that it is not meant to be ironical, I would play a closed position and wait for that sacrifice (preferably a queen sacrifice) that  "destroys" my position.

Get you some: https://www.chess.com/blog/Milliern/rough-sacs-with-queens

TheAdultProdigy
BronsteinPawn wrote:

The only thing I know is that with all the money he puts in chess I would probably be a NM at worst. But again, Im just a random troll

Three things:

1) Peek-a-boo

2) Your nameless existence doesn't matter.

3) Get it how ya live.

TheAdultProdigy
SeniorPatzer wrote:

I just clicked on Milliern's profile and read a couple of posts of his.  Here's why I think he's the most ambitious, goal-driven, hungry like a starving zombie Under 2000 chessplayer in the World:

 

1.  Read his profile!  Excerpt:  "Notes about me as a chess player: I have a sort of chess persona that comes out on the board. I am psychologically violent, and I play passionately; yet I play with calculation, and I am probably best at the endgame. If you like open games, then I'd love to have shootouts with you. If you like playing closed positions, then I will destroy your position with a sacrifice --it may be a pawn, it may be a piece, it may be a queen, but I am coming after you, because I know that the psychology of such people is fear, fear of being attacked by a brute, and I'm one of them. Play positionally, and I will take it as an invitation to destroy, pillage, maim, and plunder --no mercy but that which pain will hath wrought. I do not accept draws, and I attack more confidently and with madness in the face of the cowardly act of so offering. However, if I offer a draw, know that you are probably won, and I am just mitigating losses...though I rarely do this, even after losing a piece; I just attack harder. I don't mind oppenents who disconnect, because I like to sadistically imagine what's going through my opponent's mind right after they have been mentally broken. This is much more enjoyable OTB, as in a USCF tournament --and it is what I play for in official games--, but that moment in online games is almost as enjoyable. To the death! Before my body I throw my warlike shield. Lay on! And damned be him [or her] who first cries, "Hold! Enough!"

 

Now I look at Milliern's photo, and I see a pleasant, amiable fellow, one who I'd love to just talk story with in Starbucks.

 

But OMG, the guy's like a crazy Mike Tyson or like Samuel Jackson in a Quentin Tarantino movie, Pulp Fiction!  He's like Hannibal Lecter, he just wants to eat you across the chess board as if you were fava beans.  

 

Lesson learned:  Appearances are deceiving!  Mild-mannered, unassuming on the outside, yet serial killer on the inside.  Run!

 

2.  Now look at his posts.  He's established both goals, training plans, and timelines.  He's even written an article on a theoretical framework for adult improvement.  He's planned, calculated, analyzed, schemed, and executed.  It's like he took what the 9/11 terrorists did, and adapted it to the chessboard and tournament play.  He is blowing people up left and right in his quest for 2000 and beyond.

 

David Milliern is my nominee for CrazyAzz Hungry U2000 Amateur in the World!  Seriously, who's hungrier than him?

Thanks for the thought.  The only problem with this post is that it might not be too much longer before I'm over 2000.  I hit 1922 (USCF) in Philly.  I was floating around the upper 1700's (USCF) three months ago, but maybe you saw this coming, hence the post. Wink 

 

Happy chessing.

BronsteinPawn
Milliern escribió:
BronsteinPawn wrote:

The only thing I know is that with all the money he puts in chess I would probably be a NM at worst. But again, Im just a random troll

Three things:

1) Peek-a-boo

 

2) Your nameless existence doesn't matter.

3) Get it how ya live.

null

Get out of here materialistic kid.