Forums

R database players scared of playing real chess?

Sort:
OldChessDog

Not this topic agan...

Ziryab

Old dogs and old men like old bones, old wine, and old topics.

zborg

Study brings wisdom.  Practice brings perfection.  Both make you old, gracefully.

qrayons

Maybe. Are cc players scared of playing OTB chess?

SJFG

@quayons, I play correspondence and I like OTB a lot.  (I'm also not scared of it)

In fact, I play correspondence so that I improve and play better OTB.

-waller-

I once beat someone on here in an online game where we entered a mainline French (I was White) and she made a move that wasn't in the database - since it was a natural move I looked for tactics, found them, and won the game fairly simply after that. After the game I remarked that I had first been alerted to the possibility of tactics at the critical juncture because her move wasn't in the database. She promptly accused me of cheating and said she'd report me. I responded that databases were allowed, she still refused to believe me. I then showed here explicitly where in the site rules it said they were allowed, backed up with my belief that a database is a part of the CC game, COUPLED with an apology on my part and an offer to play another game without databases. She STILL refused to believe me and said she'd ask an admin about it later, although she did stop insulting me and accepted my offer of a non-database game. We drew that one (i was Black that time).

What was astonishing though is her refusal to believe me EVEN after having showed her the rules, and her immediate calling me a cheat. I think my favourite line of hers was "I'm a chessplayer, I know these things" - well, what am I, a Martian?

VLaurenT
frankyyy27 wrote:

yep..me again :)......since when has the opening been dismissed as futile?..why wont supposed better players play me (and many others) pn a level playing field?mmmmm

Sure : come and play OTB Smile

KvothDuval

lol most corrispondence chess players are not database players...

just sayin...

Ziryab
SJFG wrote:

@quayons, I play correspondence and I like OTB a lot.  (I'm also not scared of it)

In fact, I play correspondence so that I improve and play better OTB.

I suspect that most strong correspondence players use correspondence to prepare for OTB, or they play it because it does not tax their nerves the way OTB, or they are seekers of truth. However, websites have increased the numbers of casual players who play correspondence for a host of other reasons. These players often have little or no interest in improving, do not care to find the truth of a position, and lack the inclination for OTB play.

The guesstimated 80% of players on this site who do not use databases, if accurate, stems from the fact that they are casual players.

qinns
frankyyy27 wrote:

im a decent player roughly 1650 which puts me in the top 10 percent...why do people disrespect lower ranked players any way....just cause u spend hiurs studying dont make u better..just more anal....learn to enjoy and embrace the game

Someone may live with deluded belief what analysis is a backbone of chess thinking ;)

frankyyy27

maybe only 5 percent of online plauers use a database...my main point is cc should make seperate catorgarise for users and non users....simples....ive no worries with pepple wanting to learn

Conquistador
frankyyy27 wrote:

maybe only 5 percent of online plauers use a database...my main point is cc should make seperate catorgarise for users and non users....simples....ive no worries with pepple wanting to learn

[Citation needed]

facewardmotion
Conquistador wrote:
frankyyy27 wrote:

[Citation needed]

frankyyy, the actual percentage for this cannot be determined any more reliably than from a voluntary survey. i have no doubt that the question in question is buried somewhere in this steaming pile: http://www.chess.com/surveys

this is largely because making good opening moves off the dome is indistinguishable from following a database of good games, whereas blundering the same is indistinguishable from following a database of bad games.

personally i think my deepest match was a judit polgar game at about the 15th turn before my opponent diverted. despite being fascinated by one of the players being somebody famous, i don't recall the result of either game... but i'm sure both continued for at least 15-20 more moves.

but my favorite thing to do is choose an opening against which my opponent appears to have a low winning percentage, or (depending on the opponent's rating, and my mood) no experience/data at all.

najdorf96

I'm often surprised (well, more than i should be, probably) when my opponent deviates from 'mainline', during an Online game. I think, "wth is he up to?". Heh. Turns out most of the time, they're testing my 'hardware'...which, mainly consists of out-dated MCO's, an well-used NCO, various opening books+several spiraled notebooks of personal opening analyses garnered from my own games, xeroxed from an desolate corner of the State Library etc.

My experience and tactical awareness usually rebuffs that strategy.

frankyyy27

yep...so ur all cheating v me...:(....just want cc to create a aid free optiin...most people who chat on here r avid chess fans..and as such use a db..the silent majority just play chess

frankyyy27

Cant be policed I know...but should'nt b condoned....b nice to see cc give a aid free option

najdorf96

Lol. Dunno about you, dude. (MAN...!? and i thought I WAS LIVING ON AN ISLAND! heh)

I guess, i'm out. (Tracking this thread)

Best of luck.

" flying on, on a wing and a prayer...believe it or not, it's just meee...."

frankyyy27

Im certain only 5 percent use db.....at my level..1650...i know anyone less than 1500 dint use db..thats 70 percent straight away...and I guess most others above this have morals....?why should we b used as guinee pigs for a minority to learn?.....in this day and age uve got computers for such endevours

frankyyy27

I might be a minion at chess....but im not stupid.....database is a form of cheating

DefinitelyNotGM
frankyyy27 wrote:

I might be a minion at chess....but im not stupid.....database is a form of cheating

It's not cheating when it's allowed. It is cheating when it isn't allowed