x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Someone asks you : Do you know how to play chess ?

  • #21
    universityofpawns wrote:

    I heard a story about a guy who used to sit around in the park somewhere with a sign "chess lessons $10", if you beat him it was free.....he was a scammer of course because if you were not that good he would make the game close, so you kept trying....if you were a little better, then he played better, and so on.....

    And that is one way to learn , if you have a lot of $10s. If you like stuff like that check out a guy named Jude Acres who played all comers in New Orleans for years.

  • #22
    Indirect wrote:

    I usually say I only know the pieces move. I'm just like, "Can my horsey move here?" Then it's hilarious when I crush them and they think they lost to a total beginner.

    Yes I think I must have pla

  • #23

    sorry continued...... I think I must have played you. Do you also say like: "Guard your Queen" when you attack the queen or "Rook ee dooo!" when you castle?

  • #24
    Indirect wrote:

    I usually say I only know the pieces move. I'm just like, "Can my horsey move here?" Then it's hilarious when I crush them and they think they lost to a total beginner.

    lol that is awesome!!!

  • #25

    I just say "Yeah, would you like to play a game?" and if they're beginners I kinda just turn it into a chess lesson for them and we have a good time lol

    On another note, if feels really good when a patzer booming with confidence challenges me and I totally crush them 

  • #26

    "Yes. In fact it's what I do instead of having a life."

  • #27

    Yes, I love Chessmaster 4000 Turbo and I miss it dreadfully.

  • #28
    ....... Ah chess ! no never heard of it , don’t you mean checkers !
  • #29
    Nilocra_the_White wrote:
    Indirect wrote:

    I usually say I only know the pieces move. I'm just like, "Can my horsey move here?" Then it's hilarious when I crush them and they think they lost to a total beginner.

    Yes I think I must have pla

    I don't say that, it sounds childish. But I do talk a lot of trash when playing for fun...

  • #30
    Nilocra_the_White wrote:
    universityofpawns wrote:

    I heard a story about a guy who used to sit around in the park somewhere with a sign "chess lessons $10", if you beat him it was free.....he was a scammer of course because if you were not that good he would make the game close, so you kept trying....if you were a little better, then he played better, and so on.....

    And that is one way to learn , if you have a lot of $10s. If you like stuff like that check out a guy named Jude Acres who played all comers in New Orleans for years.

    Jude ACERS.  Spell his Goddamn name right.  As far as the OP's question, I know how the pieces move.  I know that the horse thingie can jump over things, and I know what en passant is.  Do I know how to play chess?  Look at my rating and my game archive and decide for yourself. 

  • #31
    oregonpatzer wrote:
    Nilocra_the_White wrote:
    universityofpawns wrote:

    I heard a story about a guy who used to sit around in the park somewhere with a sign "chess lessons $10", if you beat him it was free.....he was a scammer of course because if you were not that good he would make the game close, so you kept trying....if you were a little better, then he played better, and so on.....

    And that is one way to learn , if you have a lot of $10s. If you like stuff like that check out a guy named Jude Acres who played all comers in New Orleans for years.

    Jude ACERS.  Spell his Goddamn name right.  As far as the OP's question, I know how the pieces move.  I know that the horse thingie can jump over things, and I know what en passant is.  Do I know how to play chess?  Look at my rating and my game archive and decide for yourself. 

     

  • #32

    Nilocra_the_White has just posted an invisible comment that I cannot see.  I have noticed this recently on chess.com, where I have just started a blitz game and SOME OF MY PIECES HAVE NOT APPEARED ON THE BOARD YET!  It's like I'm about to play someone while missing a few troops, and then they appear a second or two later, but it still left me wondering what I could do to beat this dog without several pieces.  It's all I can do to beat people with all my pieces present.   

  • #33

    I get them to drag it out of me, then I humbly admit I'm in the top 3% of rated players at chess.com and play for my national team there.

    I don't tell them that at chesstempo, where only ACTIVE players are considering, I'm barely in the top 20% of tactics ratings.

  • #34

    Before joining this site I thought I was really good at chess. Now I know otherwise.

  • #35
    oregonpatzer wrote:

    Nilocra_the_White has just posted an invisible comment that I cannot see.  I have noticed this recently on chess.com, where I have just started a blitz game and SOME OF MY PIECES HAVE NOT APPEARED ON THE BOARD YET!  It's like I'm about to play someone while missing a few troops, and then they appear a second or two later, but it still left me wondering what I could do to beat this dog without several pieces.  It's all I can do to beat people with all my pieces present.   

    Sorry about the spelling of Acers. If you look on line you will find others that did not spell it right either. I think this is because he pronounces it Acres like in an acre of land and I got the spelling wrong. I must admit I also don't use the thingie spelling but use the thingy spelling also, so I probably need to work on my posts more. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. PS Don't know why the post was invisible. Could be my computer skills are as bad as my spelling skills. 

  • #36
    I would say I only know how to move the pieces and challenge them to play a game with me
  • #37

    xjbvsjjbzjbds wrote:

    Beat him and ask him the same question

    haha btw how do you remember ur username like vttgtgybybgtguh
  • #38
    Maybe by writing it down
  • #39

    It's an open question so there is no need to complicate things. My answer is simple and straightforward:

    yes. That's it.

Top

Online Now